What's new

Kava for headache relief

Status
Not open for further replies.

anon

Hello,

I'm a first time poster. I get headache's and I found some relief with GHK Hawaiian blend but I've run out of kava. It's not offered at the moment and I don't
know which kava in the blend was helping with my headache. Can anyone recommend a kava that has helped them with their headache?

Other kava's I've tried that were great for other things but did not help me with my headache.
squanch waka and lawena
cactus kava loa lawena
kalm pouni ono, borogu, loa waka
GHK mahakea, nene, hiwa, boroguru, moi

Last edited:

Alia

'Awa Grower/Collector
Hello,

I'm a first time poster. I get headache's and I found some relief with GHK Hawaiian blend but I've run out of kava. It's not offered at the moment and I don't
know which kava in the blend was helping with my headache. Can anyone recommend a kava that has helped them with their headache?

Other kava's I've tried that were great for other things but did not help me with my headache.
squanch waka and lawena
cactus kava loa lawena
kalm pouni ono, borogu, loa waka
GHK mahakea, nene, hiwa, boroguru, moi
Naea Chun's book- Native Hawaiian Medicines Vol. 1 (translated in 1994) draws from Hawaiian oral history accounts and says - "('awa) Mo'i is one of the varieties most effective against urinary problems. It is also used to treat 'splitting headache' ".

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
If I ever don't feel well, upset stomach, headache, anything really, I go straight to Nene. It's mild enough to not blow me away but soothing enough to make me feel better and send me off to sleep. I notice you mentioned Nene in your list of kavas that didn't work but thought I'd let you know my experiences. I'm talking about 6 tbsps. in 2 cups water chugged in halves 30 mins apart. Maybe you're not using enough?

One other GHK kava you might like to try is Hanakapi Ai. I rarely feel anything at all after a good few shells of that bad boy :)

KrunkMunster

Kava Enthusiast
Hello,
Kava has never really helped me with headaches. If I have a headache and drink Kava, I end up feeling the effects of Kava and also have a headache. Typically, I find if I have a headache it is from the Kava and not drinking enough water. Once I down 2-3 big glasses of water the headache subsides.

Zaphod

Kava Lover
Kava may or may not help with headaches. If you have a headache from tense tight neck and back muscles, or eye strain it can help. If it is from dehydration kava may just make things worse. That said Nene is a good option but I find the real heavy ones like papa kea to really do the job if it from muscles.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Kava may or may not help with headaches. If you have a headache from tense tight neck and back muscles, or eye strain it can help. If it is from dehydration kava may just make things worse. That said Nene is a good option but I find the real heavy ones like papa kea to really do the job if it from muscles.
I'm in this camp. I get stress headaches occasionally and kava either dramatically reduces or completely removes it for me. And honestly, it doesn't really matter what type of kava I drink my headache is relieved.

I regularly drink boroguru.

anon

Hi again,

Thank you for all the suggestions. I found some GHK Boroguru and during one of my headache episodes, it relieved the pain. Perhaps there is Boroguru in the GHK Hawaiian blend that was helping me or perhaps Edward was right in that I wasn't taking enough. Anyways, for my body chemistry, Boroguru seems to be helping my headaches like the Hawaiian blend did. I wanted to post a follow-up in case it helps someone else who has frequent headaches.

Thank you so much

winder

Kava Curious
I'm still looking for that magic strain that will treat my sinus pressure migraines.
Ah, you and me both. Those are the bane of my existence and nothing helps me so far beyond heavy prescription stuff.
Sometimes, if the sinus pain is going into my upper back gums, I get a little relief by rubbing some strong micronized (like 11 year waka) right onto my gums. That numbs things out for a little while but it doesn't really help with the rest of my migraine symptoms.

Status
Not open for further replies.