What's new

kava for social anxiety

Status
Not open for further replies.

exit stage left
Mo'i is my current favourite kava. It's heady without being sedating, which seems perfect for social anxiety. Parties make me extremely nervous, but I've been away for 7 weeks and I promised a few people I'd at least make an appearance at one tonight. I'm worrying about all sorts of inconsequential things, but I had just under 2 tablespoons of medium grind Mo'i in 1 1/3 cups of water and then dinner, and it's a light dose but I'm thinking maybe it will help. I tried it just at home a few times and am pretty familiar with how it affects me. I'm not going to have more, I don't want to be TOO relaxed, just a little bit. I just had the kava, and I'm going to show up at the party in about 2 hours. I'll report back if it helps.

I've tried GHK's Boroguru and Mahakea as well and I don't think they'd work as well for social situations because I take them and want to sleep. At least with Mo'i, I want to stay awake.

exit stage left
Social Anxiety = 1, Schmedward = 0

I guess it's just been a long week. I ended up opting out of the party, but I'm still meeting a friend for breakfast tomorrow.

verticity

I'm interested in things
I'm also a long-time severe social anxiety sufferer. Kava helps a lot. But I don't really go to parties.. never liked parties

Steve Mariotti

Kavapithecus Krunkarensis
Review Maestro
It's great for social anxiety. I've been fearful in social situations since I was a little kid. I can say that a heady kava session makes me very chatty when out on the town on the weekends. And the residual next day effects have me talking to making friendly conversation with everyone throughout my day. Which I don't tend to do at all, naturally.

exit stage left
I'm trying to become ok with the fact that I might never be a party person.

I texted a friend to say I wasn't coming and they were very understanding, which surprised me... I always think my friends will get frustrated at me because I back out so often. But the reality is, it's been a hard week, and I just finished eating disorder treatment... that's a lot of stuff. And I'm just not a party person.

verticity

I'm interested in things
I'm trying to become ok with the fact that I might never be a party person.

I texted a friend to say I wasn't coming and they were very understanding, which surprised me... I always think my friends will get frustrated at me because I back out so often. But the reality is, it's been a hard week, and I just finished eating disorder treatment... that's a lot of stuff. And I'm just not a party person.
On the positive side.. you have friends. If they are real friends they will understand. Friendship is about a lot more than attending parties.

Jonathan

All Hail Leon
Wise words... I prefer much smaller gatherings, this party had 40 RSVPs on facebook.... not my scene. Those that matter will understand.
No doubt. Your true friends will always be understanding, and will hopefully also call you out if you're being unreasonable (mine do that, on both counts). :)

I wanted to suggest, if this comes up again, maybe try combining Mo'i with something like Boroguru or Mahakea at like a 3:1 ratio. Just a little bit of sedation mixed with Mo'i I think would be perfect for social situations. I haven't tested this, mind you, just a hypothesis...

exit stage left
I tried a tablespoon of medium grind Mahakea with 1.5 tablespoons of medium grind Mo'i this morning and it hit me like a truck, I'm a light weight. It was enjoyable, but I wouldn't have been able to socialize without seeming like something was up. I'm out of Mahakea now, but maybe I'll try .5 of a tablespoon with 1.5 tablespoons of Mo'i if I ever happen to have them both at the same time again.

verticity

I'm interested in things
I tried a tablespoon of medium grind Mahakea with 1.5 tablespoons of medium grind Mo'i this morning and it hit me like a truck, I'm a light weight. It was enjoyable, but I wouldn't have been able to socialize without seeming like something was up. I'm out of Mahakea now, but maybe I'll try .5 of a tablespoon with 1.5 tablespoons of Mo'i if I ever happen to have them both at the same time again.
The Mahakea is quite potent and capable of ass-knockery.

exit stage left
Definitely ended up accidentally krunked this afternoon. Couldn't see straight, and neither Mo'i nor Mahakea does that to me when taken by themselves. It only took a little bit too.

Squanch72

Kava Vendor
I have some social anxiety and have had a total worry wort personality my whole life. I have been hitting the root daily into my third week now and I noticed today that I am not worrying, in fact I wasn't even thinking of anything really, like a totally free mind. It threw me for a while and I even had a conversation with the ol' lady because it threw me so much to not have worry LOL.

exit stage left
I went to the store to buy something this evening and had a spontaneous conversation with the cashier, which is very unusual for me. Not sure if it's kava or just my fluctuating abilities.

avahZ

YAHWEH Shalom
Ahh ass-knockery is my specialty. Yeah Mahakea can sometimes get one accidentally krunked.
The only time I have ever been krunked was with mahakea. I think I proposed to it on this board that night! That being said, not a real big fan of getting krunked, it was fun in its own way though. I will do it again, but not too often. I like the sedation kavas better.

verticity

I'm interested in things
I have some social anxiety and have had a total worry wort personality my whole life. I have been hitting the root daily into my third week now and I noticed today that I am not worrying, in fact I wasn't even thinking of anything really, like a totally free mind. It threw me for a while and I even had a conversation with the ol' lady because it threw me so much to not have worry LOL.
So, you're saying you are worried about your lack of worrying? ::awesomesmiles::

K

Kava Steve

Don't know how many of you experience day after social racing mind but I had quite a few people over for my kids birthday yesterday and today I am a wreck, I just want to turn off my brain no amount of kava seems to be helping even a double dose of Nene... Its like my body is relaxed but my brain is restless. I just want to sleep and not wake for two days.

KavaCat

Meow.
I wonder if you aren't a highly sensitive person? It's not a well studied trait yet, but you could look into it. It seemed to explain to me an aspect of my own personality, and why I behave in the ways that I do. I'm also hit or miss for social things. Sometimes it's anxiety, but I think more often than not, it's that I don't want that level of stimulation without some kind of payoff. IE; favorite band's concert, broadway musical, access to sexually available people who are interested in me (in the past... since that's not an issue now lol).

K

Kava Steve

This has been a new issue for me the past few years, I've been dealing with social anxiety since 2003 and in the past as soon as I would remove myself from the social element I would stabilize but the past few years every conversation every word becomes a broken record in my head for a day or two after the Dr says they think GAD on top of SAD has developed.

Status
Not open for further replies.