What's new

Kava Hangover

Status
Not open for further replies.

ILIkeBeer

Kava Curious
I never get hangovers from booze. I had quite a bit of kava last night and this morning I feel like hell... in fact I still feel a bit krunked.... does anyone else get kava hangovers?

ILIkeBeer

Kava Curious
I am on a diet so not a lot of food... Was mostly stone kava with some kava candies mixed in... Also I still feel like hell

Steve Mariotti

Kavapithecus Krunkarensis
Review Maestro
Yes, hangovers happen. Usually from drinking a lot of kava, sometimes from eating too much after drinking a lot of kava, and sometimes with bad kava (not noble.)

Even with a moderate kava session, I can sleep so well that the next morning I just don't feel like getting out of bed. Even if I don't feel awful---and in fact feel really warm and nice---it hangs over to the next day making it hard to get up on time. I got to the point where if I drank kava every night, every morning would be hard. Now I drink kava less frequently and don't have those problems as much.

One time I drank a bunch of kava with friends, went out and ate a huge barbeque dinner and felt like crap all the next day. I don't think it was the kava alone, but the combination of too much kava and too much food (I was stuffed at the end of the meal.)

Alternately, some kava (like Mahakea in particular) leave me feeling refreshed and happy in the morning and looking forward to my day.

There are a lot of variables in play, but yes, hangovers can happen. You'll have to adjust your consumption (timing, patterns, amounts, etc.) to find the sweet spot. There is DEFINITELY a sweet spot for me. Too little and I don't get much out of it, too much and I feel nauseated, shaky, crappy in the morning. YMMV.

VictoryRider

Kava Enthusiast
Too much kava, and/or too little water are both potentially bad. Kava has diuretic properties. Thus, if you drink
enough kava and don't follow up with water, you'll get dehydrated, and the next morning will feel lousy.

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
I find kava candies really good for getting off to sleep if my main kava was a more heady strain but I have noticed that if I don't drink plenty of water before I fall asleep I can wake up feeling less than special. It's almost certainly a dehydration effect you are feeling.

ILIkeBeer

Kava Curious
I'm sorry buddy but I can't help ya and no one else can if you don't give us dosages and how much water you had
I had over the course of the night 10 tablespoons of Kava and maybe a can of seltzer water. In addition to that I had about 4 Kava Candies and a kava Tea.

avahZ

YAHWEH Shalom
Yowza that would do me in. Unless your a hardhead (someone genetically resistant to the kava effects) that is a lot of kava.

ILIkeBeer

Kava Curious
Yowza that would do me in. Unless your a hardhead (someone genetically resistant to the kava effects) that is a lot of kava.
I am definitely not resistant to the effects, thank goodness it was just that I was drinking two year old kava so I was told it would be less potent... also I have not drank kava in two years so I kind of forgot what to expect.

August West

Kava Enthusiast
10 tablespoons of stone is a lot of kava. I'm surprised you were able to drink that much. Stone give me an antsy/anxious feeling that I can't shake. Like not knowing whether to curl up in a ball or stretch out. A lazy anxiousness feeling, I guess. And too much kava can make me feel like crap in the morning. Dehydration fo sho.

Kavakaize

kavakaize
Occasionally feel that way if I drink to much kava. Since I only drink noble now it rarely happens. Too much of anything will make you feel awful I would think, unless its good sex maybe.

avahZ

YAHWEH Shalom
Occasionally feel that way if I drink to much kava. Since I only drink noble now it rarely happens. Too much of anything will make you feel awful I would think, unless its good sex maybe.
Well unless you get a leg cramp... Granted it can be comedy gold after you been with someone for years!

Capitán Bastos

Presanteur
I have yet to experience a kava hangover. I feel it's easier to get up in the morning(or evening when I work nights) plus I used to be 2-10minutes late because I start stressing about being late and forget where my keys are etc... Doesn't happen with kava.
Then again, I space out my portions and hydrate often. No kava or water 1hr before bedtime (so I avoid having to use the bathroom). I did however experience some laziness the day after in the beginning of my Vanuatu Blend No. 7 "period". On my days off I would just make more and curl up with a book. All of the sudden hours had passed and the book had no more pages. After a few days like this I felt like I had been @ a retreat

Zac Imiola (Herbalist)

Kava Connoisseur
Hahahaha ya dude . 10 tablespoons alone would have me vomiting!

Kava is a root and therefore doesn't degrade the same way a flower or leaf would.. do to it not being flavanoid and smell ables that are the active ingrediants... almost all hard root/ stems /bark can last alot longer potency wise than any leaf or flower would.... other than kava they also need to be boiled more to get actives out than a leaf is. :)

ILIkeBeer

Kava Curious
Ok I am out of the loop... what is noble kava? Sounds like something I should try

CactusKava

Phoenix, AZ
Kava Vendor
Ok I am out of the loop... what is noble kava? Sounds like something I should try
Hey! There are two main kinds of consumable kava: noble and tudei. @Deleted User wrote up a great post outlining the dangers of consuming tudei kava here: http://kavaforums.com/forum/threads/first-time-kava-drinkers-beware.4887/

There are a few vendors, including myself, that sell only noble kava, because it doesn't have the issues that tudei cultivars have. You should really only drink noble kava. Check out my site: www.cactuskava.com

ILIkeBeer

Kava Curious
Hey! There are two main kinds of consumable kava: noble and tudei. @Deleted User wrote up a great post outlining the dangers of consuming tudei kava here: http://kavaforums.com/forum/threads/first-time-kava-drinkers-beware.4887/

There are a few vendors, including myself, that sell only noble kava, because it doesn't have the issues that tudei cultivars have. You should really only drink noble kava. Check out my site: www.cactuskava.com
Thanks, that was a helpful link... as far as your kava goes.. why are they strains I have never heard of before? ono, eva and malolo? Also which one of those would be best for just mellowing out clearing the head reducing worry and such?

Status
Not open for further replies.