What's new

Kava paste

Roaddog

Kava Who?
I strongly recommend trying traditional prep before branching out into instants/extracts as it is by far the most cost effective way to do it.
I also find traditional more effective. Although the micronized is good. Kalm kicks XXS too. But really you want the real deal, its hard to beet a tea from fresh ground root. So I agree 100%. :shameshame:Much love. Roaddog....

TidyMinion

Kava Padawan
I also find traditional more effective. Although the micronized is good. Kalm kicks XXS too. But really you want the real deal, its hard to beet a tea from fresh ground root. So I agree 100%. :shameshame:Much love. Roaddog....
With traditional, you can also usually get a pretty good 2nd or even 3rd wash of the same root product. A "2nd wash" would be when you take your "kava ball" out of the strainer and use fresh liquid/water to make more tea out of the same root - stick blenders are really nice for 2nd and 3rd washes since you want to really agitate the root at that point.

Recycled root, processed well, will usually leave you with a nice, lighter tea that you can either mix in the with the 1st wash and leave you with a large amount of tea with not much root used in the process or have a lighter tea for daytime use or whatever else you get into while drinking kava!

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
I take around a tablespoon (little less) and then stick it under my tongue.....
You use a tablespoon or consume a tablespoon? It doesn't seem possible that you could get a whole tablespoon of extract under your tongue (unless your a band member of Kiss).

infraredz

BULA!
Yeah, I should have mentioned that I don't get it all under my tongue. It's not really that important because as much as people talk about sublingual administration/absorption, there is the same to be said for buccal.

While it's not quite as vascular, it's still a thin membrane with enough vasculature to get the job done.

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
I strongly recommend trying traditional prep before branching out into instants/extracts as it is by far the most cost effective way to do it.
You're right it's more cost effective, but I personally feel the best way to start is using a good extract or instant, because it's easy to use. When I started kava, I was pretty bewildered and intimidated with everything that was needed to prepare powdered root. I didn't even know the difference between that and all the other different types of kava available. My first kava experience was Paradise Kava extracts (sampler pack), because they said all you have to do is stick it in your mouth. It took me almost 2 months before I got the courage to try powdered. Now I do it all the time, but like I said for a beginner, traditional prep could be a hindrance to even trying kava. And myself, I wouldn't want to see that.

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
http://gourmethawaiiankava.com - Great sample packs. There's also some instant included in those so you can try that.

From Paradise, I think everyone likes Adil's Fijian. I would recommend against the isa.

Make sure and obtain something to strain it with. Several vendors sell fijian strainers and you can also do it with various household items (nylon stockings are the most common, I think).

Monkava'd

A spoonful of sugar makes the Awa' go down.
RoadDog my mother's always warned me to be wary of the man whom "speaks with two tongues" but I had no idea it was you! :eek::facepalm::rolleyes::smuggrin::ROFLMAO:
Or is it these fellows?
downloadfile.jpeg

Cough....cough...yeah sorry it's them. ;)
Kevinjames I have to say you really can't go wrong with any of the notable vendors on this forum; I'll list just a few off the top of my head.:)
GourmetHawaiianKava, Bula kava house, Global Kava exports, Paradise kava, nakamal@home, and one for tasty reference in case you really develop a dislike for the traditional method or powdered kava in general, kalmwithkava; they produce an exceptional fruity kava concoction in drink form that everyone here has been satisfied with. Even though I've yet to try it myself , from others point of view it gets the job done and is easy on the pallet. :D
I hope you enjoy any kava experiences you choose to indulge, safely and happily.

Last edited:

infraredz

BULA!
http://gourmethawaiiankava.com - Great sample packs. There's also some instant included in those so you can try that.

From Paradise, I think everyone likes Adil's Fijian. I would recommend against the isa.

Make sure and obtain something to strain it with. Several vendors sell fijian strainers and you can also do it with various household items (nylon stockings are the most common, I think).
I would recommend getting GHK's sampler because for a new person, it would be good because it has micronized and good variety of instants which are good when you are starting out to make sure that you are not experiencing this "fake reverse tolerance" (where you don't feel the kava due to improper preparation). With instant and micronized, it's almost impossible to do it wrong, and I would say that with instant, it really is impossible to do it wrong...

I also second the recommendation for nylon stockings as a strainer. They work great, and you can always double them up or even triple them depending on how much sediment you want in your grog, or rather, how much your gut can tolerate.

KevinJames

Kava Curious
Well I gone and dun ordered this The 5.95 is the re-usable strainer.

Premium Fijian Kava $5.95 USD1$5.95 USD
Premium Fijian Kava $49.00 USD1$49.00 USD

Here's what I read about how to prepare it. If there are any other methods you guys prefer, I'd like to hear it. Thanks for the help.

• Extracting Kava Powder: Most kava packages we’ve seen, suggest starting with 2 tablespoons of kava powder, extracted into some form of “healthy fats” such as milk, soy milk, or coconut milk. Since the full spectrum of lactones extract into both water and fats, any of the above are a great choice for getting a potent kava drink. Our favorite method is to simply put a cup of soy milk into a blender, drop in 2 tablespoons of kava powder (personally, we use 4 tablespoons, but would not recommend anyone else using that much), add some powdered cocoa, and blend it for 2 minutes or so. Have a bowl waiting as well as a muslin bag or an old clean t-shirt made into the shape of a bag, and pour that blended kava into the filter. We like the muslin bags at the Kava Marketplace, because it then allows us to tie the bag shut, and use our hands to work the liquid out of the kava mash. (Eating the root is not dangerous in any way, but it can make your drink a little chalky, so most prefer to filter out the kava root.)

infraredz

BULA!
Here's what I read about how to prepare it. If there are any other methods you guys prefer, I'd like to hear it. Thanks for the help.
Here are some very good resources for information on kava preparation:

Various Techniques
http://www.kavaforums.com/forum/wiki/kava-preparation/

Thoughts on Kava Preparation by me and kavadude:
http://www.kavaforums.com/forum/threads/thoughts-on-kava-preparation.2009/

"Optimizing the extraction of kavalactones during preparation of kava beverage" article by HC Bittenbender et al. (College of Tropical Agriculture and Human Resoures)
http://www.kavaforums.com/forum/wiki/how-to-optimize-the-extraction-of-kavalactones/

"Kavapedia" Preparation articles:
http://www.kavaforums.com/forum/wik...es}&{Query}={+}&{TagList}={13}&{NodeList}={+}

Roaddog

Kava Who?
You for sure should try the Micronized Kava, From GHK. Let me tell ya, that's good kava there. I for some reason feel my previous experience with it, was not as rich, as tonight's experience. I did 3 rounded tea spoons, and wow. That stuff is amazing.

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
We have a million and one ways to prepare kava. You can blend it as they suggested, or you can go old school and just knead it in the strainer. I think 4 tablespoons and 2 cups of water would be a good starting point. Keep in mind that many experience a 'reverse tolerance' effect and experience little to nothing their first few times.

Sedation, muscle relaxation, the mental effects are excellent but hard to put into words. The effects also differ from strain to strain depending on relative concentration of kavalactones and total kavalactone percentage.

Monkava'd

A spoonful of sugar makes the Awa' go down.
We have a million and one ways to prepare kava. You can blend it as they suggested, or you can go old school and just knead it in the strainer. I think 4 tablespoons and 2 cups of water would be a good starting point. Keep in mind that many experience a 'reverse tolerance' effect and experience little to nothing their first few times.

Sedation, muscle relaxation, the mental effects are excellent but hard to put into words. The effects also differ from strain to strain depending on relative concentration of kavalactones and total kavalactone percentage.
Hmmmm, the fabled reverse tolerance.
Infraredz has been posting lately about there being more or less no reverse tolerance but that it just may be improper preparation techniques.
Please don't hold him or I to word on this though because honestly there's been many members whom have discovered the traditional method before they even began kava and as such would have surely been exposed to the
Kavalactones.
I'm really not sure either way but it's interesting none the less Kavadude. (y)
I know this wasn't the direction your post was aimed at though so pay no mind to these words; I'm just theorizing over here and that's not what someone needs when jumping into the kava foray in the beginning. :)

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
I agree with him on that, I'm not really sure myself how much of it is real and how much of it is improper preparation/low dose/weak product. A lot of of us (about half) reported experiencing RT including myself so I think it is worth mentioning to people who are trying it out for the first time.