What's new

Kava plant

Plantman

Kava Curious
Hello, I am gardener from northern Europe. has been nice to read this forum now and then.
I have been looking for live kava plant for years now. I once ordered one "piper methysticum" cutting from one nursery. It spouted after 2 months and grows wery wery well. Its 7 months old now, wery healthy and good looking house plant. Too bad its piper auritum:(. Dominant midveins in leafs, smels like rootbeer.
I think many people could benefit from the anti-stress effect of kava in Europe if it would be more available. It really would be a better choice than alcohol when it comes to feeling relaxed and getting good restful sleep:happy:.
Any idea where from to BUY kava cutting ?

Kavafied

Kava Vendor
Hello, I am gardener from northern Europe. has been nice to read this forum now and then.
I have been looking for live kava plant for years now. I once ordered one "piper methysticum" cutting from one nursery. It spouted after 2 months and grows wery wery well. Its 7 months old now, wery healthy and good looking house plant. Too bad its piper auritum:(. Dominant midveins in leafs, smels like rootbeer.
I think many people could benefit from the anti-stress effect of kava in Europe if it would be more available. It really would be a better choice than alcohol when it comes to feeling relaxed and getting good restful sleep:happy:.
Any idea where from to BUY kava cutting ?
Don't have access to Kava suckers. Kava is very sensitive to the soil and climate it is grown in. I know a few people that have tried to grow Kava in Florida and it grew very well. Unfortunately when they harvested the roots after a few years, it had little to no effect. I hope you have better luck growing it up there. Maybe if you are in an area rich with volcanic soil, the Kava would fare better?

Plantman

Kava Curious
I agree that kava most certainly grows and produces best quality roots in its native environment. But It would be so awesome to have one::awesomesmiles:: I have read that growing kava is not easy, however it would be very exciting and fun. No volcanic soil here. I need to design something out of potting soil, peat, sand and coconat fibre.. if I ever get a cutting:cry:

Kavafied

Kava Vendor
I agree that kava most certainly grows and produces best quality roots in its native environment. But It would be so awesome to have one::awesomesmiles:: I have read that growing kava is not easy, however it would be very exciting and fun. No volcanic soil here. I need to design something out of potting soil, peat, sand and coconat fibre.. if I ever get a cutting:cry:
Definitely awesome. I want one too for my office! Even if I know it won't be producing much useful roots. Best of luck getting a sucker.

B-Root

Kava Curious
I read that Kava used to be a special 'canoe-plant' brought from Island to Island as a gift. Looks like they took many risks to share this amazing plant. Each Island in the South Pacific that was able able to grow it, eventually developed a unique and beautiful cultural connection to the Plant, I respect that. It would be nice, however, to think someone growing kava today would like to continue this practice by making Kava plants more readily available; but this time by flight :)

Plantman

Kava Curious
It is really amazing how those people found all those new paradise islands and allways brought kava with them. I wonder what would be a fair price for a healthy plant or a cutting ?

Zac Imiola (Herbalist)

Kava Connoisseur
Honestly in my opinion a cutting is the cheapest thing in the plant world. As long as your not harboring a magic gene. Lol if someone's gping to charge you more than 10 bucks or so for a cutting their being a dick lol. ! Not counting shipping or any actual fees.

Plantman

Kava Curious
10$ + postage (10$ ?) sounds like quite cheap :)... If someone wants to make an offer, please send a message. Please dont offer 100$ cuttings:wacky:. No phytosanitary sertificates required inside europe? What about from elsewhere? Do they even care about one cutting in customs? Mayby in Australian border.

verticity

I'm interested in things
If I remember correctly, it's actually illegal in Vanuatu to export the cuttings--only (noble) powder can be exported.

Gourmet Hawaiian Kava

Kava Expert
Kava Vendor

Ryanakamal

Kava Curious
hi plantman! same as you i am interested in obtaining a kava plant and maybe you can contact @Unda Kava on this forum. he says he has acces to cuttings. snow in june brrr located on the north pole? :confused:

kasa_balavu

Yaqona Dina
Honestly in my opinion a cutting is the cheapest thing in the plant world. As long as your not harboring a magic gene. Lol if someone's gping to charge you more than 10 bucks or so for a cutting their being a dick lol. ! Not counting shipping or any actual fees.
It's only cheap if you can catch them when they're harvesting.
You don't just walk over to a kava plant and take a cutting. The risk of damage to the plant from rot and disease entering via the cut isn't worth $10.

I'm envious of those of you that live in countries that have such lax biosecurity measures. It costs hundreds of dollars and often at least a month in quarantine to get a plant into Fiji... if you get permission at all.

Plantman

Kava Curious
Tropical islands are sensitive environments I am sure. foreign species are not a problem up here, we are lucky to keep our native plants alive from our massive snow storms ! We have this natures own biosecurity:)

verticity

I'm interested in things
So, this will be an "indoor plant", like my cats are "indoor cats"; Don't leave the door open, you don't want it wandering out into the tundra..

Plantman

Kava Curious
Yes sure indoor plant. Mayby in greenhouse in summer.
Some nursery in UK, scotland, sells piper methysticum. poyntzfieldherbs.co.uk
Is it real kava ?

wassie

Chris Wass
Yes sure indoor plant. Mayby in greenhouse in summer.
Some nursery in UK, scotland, sells piper methysticum. poyntzfieldherbs.co.uk
Is it real kava ?
I put in a order with them a short while before I stumbled upon this thread. I too have been on the hunt for a genuine plant for many years. My excitement got the better of me and I purchased the plant with out really questioning the vendor, I've asked them a few questions since purchasing the plant and its safe to say they haven't filled me with any hope or faith at all.

There listing for the plant states it has glossy leaves? Which in my opinion sounds more to the liking of Piper excelsum (KawaKawa) anyway I emailed them with pictures of Kava Kava and Kawa Kawa and they told me the pictures I sent were pictires of completely different plants in the Piper Genus. They don't post the plants until spring starts to draw closer (After February) so I won't know for sure until then, but in all honesty I've kind of lost hope. :/
I suffer from Aspergers and I'm not very good with heated conversation so don't want to keep pestering the vendor, so I'm just going to have to wait unfortunately but its killing me, the uncertainty of what I'm going to receive and I've got months to wait yet! because as I've mentioned I've been on the hunt for the plant for several years.
If anyone can offer any advice or help it would be greatly appreciated :)

wassie

Chris Wass
Hey Guys thought I'd keep you up to date, Just received another email from www.poyntzfieldherbs.co.uk confirming the plants they have are KawaKawa (Piper excelsum) plants and they have refunded my money.
Now it's back to the drawing board :/ if anyone knows any sources for a genuine Kava Kava plant it would be greatly appreciated :)