What's new

Kava Pounding Machine Inquiry

kumete

Looking to pick up a machine for my uncle - based in Tonga and need one machine and a second in the near future...any information would be helpful. Thanks.

Kavaloloko

Kavaloloko Kava Co.
Kava Vendor
Looking to pick up a machine for my uncle - based in Tonga and need one machine and a second in the near future...any information would be helpful. Thanks.
Tokoua welcome to Kava Forums.
Not sure if this would be the right place to seek info on getting a Kava Pounding Machine.
Not too many Tongans on Kava Forums.
Is the machine in Tonga?

kasa_balavu

Yaqona Dina
Malo e lelei,
You can try importing one from Fiji. Nagan Engineering makes them.
Note that these Fiji-style pounders are made for kava produced for the domestic market (and NZ). If you want to export to the US, you will need to specify that you want a pounder custom built, and spend a lot more money on it to make it compliant with cGMP standards. You'll need to pay extra for stainless steel for the food contact surfaces, to build a body around the machine to keep airborne dust and pathogens to get into the kava, etc.
If you can afford it, you might be better off getting a modern (rotary) hammer mill instead, but those are pricey and maybe not the best idea if you're just starting out.

kumete

Tokoua welcome to Kava Forums.
Not sure if this would be the right place to seek info on getting a Kava Pounding Machine.
Not too many Tongans on Kava Forums.
Is the machine in Tonga?
Thanks. Yes this is for the island! Do you have any sources that would be helpful in acquiring one?

Malo.

kumete

Malo e lelei,
You can try importing one from Fiji. Nagan Engineering makes them.
Note that these Fiji-style pounders are made for kava produced for the domestic market (and NZ). If you want to export to the US, you will need to specify that you want a pounder custom built, and spend a lot more money on it to make it compliant with cGMP standards. You'll need to pay extra for stainless steel for the food contact surfaces, to build a body around the machine to keep airborne dust and pathogens to get into the kava, etc.
If you can afford it, you might be better off getting a modern (rotary) hammer mill instead, but those are pricey and maybe not the best idea if you're just starting out.
Thank you for the information. I am taking them in consideration as I am searching. I will check out Nagan Engineering and hopefully they have some options.

Cheers!