What's new

Kava problems! Help!

Nicky B

Hi, everyone! I've been a moderate Kava user for about three years. I'm new to growing Kava and about a year ago I ordered a live plant, which arrived in good shape, but since then it consistently has problems. I can provide photos, but I'm currently at work. I wanted to get this typed out while I had a moment. The main problem is that the plant seems to never grow larger. When new growth separates from the stalk, an older leaf begins to die off. It starts by getting brown around the outside of the leaf before turning completely brown and falling off. I'm a pretty experienced gardener, so I've been through and treated for all of the usual suspects. Spider mites, Aphids, fungal infections, etc. and the treatment doesn't seem to be helping at all. One thing I find strange is that the main stalk has all of these small black dot/stains on them. This has been a problem for the entire year that I've had it, so you can imagine my excitement when I found out that this forum existed. I really hope someone here can help me because I'm at my wit's end with this. Appreciate any tips, tricks, or insights that y'all could give.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Hi, everyone! I've been a moderate Kava user for about three years. I'm new to growing Kava and about a year ago I ordered a live plant, which arrived in good shape, but since then it consistently has problems. I can provide photos, but I'm currently at work. I wanted to get this typed out while I had a moment. The main problem is that the plant seems to never grow larger. When new growth separates from the stalk, an older leaf begins to die off. It starts by getting brown around the outside of the leaf before turning completely brown and falling off. I'm a pretty experienced gardener, so I've been through and treated for all of the usual suspects. Spider mites, Aphids, fungal infections, etc. and the treatment doesn't seem to be helping at all. One thing I find strange is that the main stalk has all of these small black dot/stains on them. This has been a problem for the entire year that I've had it, so you can imagine my excitement when I found out that this forum existed. I really hope someone here can help me because I'm at my wit's end with this. Appreciate any tips, tricks, or insights that y'all could give.
Welcome! Glad to have another kava enthusiast among us!

I think this is something that @Alia could certainly help you with. @Kalm with Kava could as well.

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
Where do you live? I’ve probably lost 15 kava plants over the years, trying to grow in hardiness zone 10a / 10b. — my most successful plants also had a hard time getting bigger. Leaves would always get brown, then get new leaves but eventually it would always loose more than it could grow and spider mite infestations would occur.

Sometimes people think they have kava plant but it turns out to be false-kava…I would’ve asked you for a picture of your leaves to verify….but since you say you having constant problems with it, I’m almost certain is real kava.

Akva

Kava Curious
Hi Nicky B. Firstly what’s your climate? Secondly when the plants are young they are susceptible to pest etc. so they need a fair bit of attention. I don’t spray, i just find it easier to pick things off by hand every few days. I would suggest they need water constantly, as i have found you really can’t overwater them. Keep them in a warm sheltered spot outside if not too cold, and they don’t need or like exposure to direct sunlight when less than a year old. Some photos might help. The black spots could just be normal what are called ‘lenticils’ on the stalks.

1683672507451.png

Last edited:

Nicky B

Yes!

These are the black spots! So you're saying that this is normal? Well that is a bit of a relief! I'm in central PA which is I believe 5B, but I have lights and they are in a heated home any time the weather would be anywhere close to 55 degrees Fahrenheit.

Alia

'Awa Grower/Collector
Yes!

These are the black spots! So you're saying that this is normal? Well that is a bit of a relief! I'm in central PA which is I believe 5B, but I have lights and they are in a heated home any time the weather would be anywhere close to 55 degrees Fahrenheit.
Yes, those looks like lenticels, I agree. Your cultivar there might be Isa but I cannot say for certain.
The leaf really looks like a pest problem but your description sounds like a nutrition problem.
Are you using an organic or chemical fertilizer? Can you get a bottle of Super-thrive?
Light, liquid fertilizer often. Maybe keep the plant by a bathroom window for humidity, moist air.

Nicky B

I absolutely can get a bottle of super thrive. I usually keep it on hand when I grow cannabis but I'm currently can't grow it in my current situation. So how often should I fertilize? for most of my plants I do every 3-4 weeks, but I don't have anything that require a lot of feeding. Unfortunately the bathroom doesn't have a usable window, but I live on a very humid property. The whole back of my property is basically a marshland so that's not the issue. I will treat again for pests and up my feeding schedule to whatever you suggest and see if that fixes the problem.

Nicky B

also, do you think that daily misting or even a super light (like 1/10 dose?) folier feeding would help?

Alia

'Awa Grower/Collector
also, do you think that daily misting or even a super light (like 1/10 dose?) folier feeding would help?
Yes.
I absolutely can get a bottle of super thrive. I usually keep it on hand when I grow cannabis but I'm currently can't grow it in my current situation. So how often should I fertilize? for most of my plants I do every 3-4 weeks, but I don't have anything that require a lot of feeding. Unfortunately the bathroom doesn't have a usable window, but I live on a very humid property. The whole back of my property is basically a marshland so that's not the issue. I will treat again for pests and up my feeding schedule to whatever you suggest and see if that fixes the problem.
Yes.

Alia

'Awa Grower/Collector
Feeding as often as you do is fine for kava, I grow outside and use a lot of 10-30-10 with trace.

Nicky B

10-30-10 seems very high to me. Does the fertilizer you use have a long breakdown period? Everything I use right now is left over from my old cannabis grows so I'm using things like Roots Organic grow and bloom; which are 7-1-0 and 3-7-4 respectively but also the break down is pretty much immediate. My trace minerals usually come from azomite glacial dust but I ran out a few months ago. I also have 0-0-30 langbeanite. I can either get more azomite, or do you think that the 10-30-10 is something that I should invest in? What brand do you use?

Alia

'Awa Grower/Collector
10-30-10 seems very high to me. Does the fertilizer you use have a long breakdown period? Everything I use right now is left over from my old cannabis grows so I'm using things like Roots Organic grow and bloom; which are 7-1-0 and 3-7-4 respectively but also the break down is pretty much immediate. My trace minerals usually come from azomite glacial dust but I ran out a few months ago. I also have 0-0-30 langbeanite. I can either get more azomite, or do you think that the 10-30-10 is something that I should invest in? What brand do you use?
I have never burned any 'awa plant with 10-30-10. It is fast release and I use a local, Hawaii brand. Any brand should be fine as long as it includes trace.
For potted 'awa I just use a level teaspoon distributed at edge of pot.
I recently discovered Dolopril which is a quick way to give plant calcium. 'Awa can be deficient in calcium, at least in hawaii soils.