What's new

Kava taste

N

Noname

Some times I can power through kava and other days kava makes me cringe even before drinking .. Y is that

D

Deleted User01

@Noname, that's the way it is ... period. I can tell you that sometimes I have a bowel movement even before I drink the kava. I know at least one other guy in the forum that has the same experience. Your stomach cringes, your bowels cringe, and your taste buds cringe. Nevertheless, we still soldier on because the effects are so nice. Maybe we should start prescribing Kava for constipation. Just the threat of a big old peppery shell can cure a person.

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
I stick to lighter kavas, because I love the headiness and anxiety relief.
Tongan and Fijian kavas, taste good to me, or at least bearable.

exit stage left
Chilling the prepared kava in the fridge for a few hours really helps improve or lessen the taste for me. That, and chasing it with something. But I know what you mean, I still sometimes get a cringe feeling before I start drinking. (though after a few shells, pshh, who cares what it tastes like. :p )

I think for me it's because I've experienced heavy nausea on occasion from kava consumption and the memory of that makes me focus on the taste even more.

Nova Cain

Seeking the edges
I don't mind the taste... It tastes like kava and it does good things for me... Think of the weird crap people eat... Raw oysters, weird moldy cheese, wasabi, ghost peppers... It ain't no thang, son...::chugger::

nabanga

Kava Enthusiast
I don't mind the taste... It tastes like kava and it does good things for me... Think of the weird crap people eat... Raw oysters, weird moldy cheese, wasabi, ghost peppers... It ain't no thang, son...::chugger::
Very true. Most people hate the taste of wine when they are children, but many learn to like it later when the association with its effects becomes marked.
Likewise I wouldnt drink kava just for the flavor, but because the association with effects is there, I don't mind the taste at all.

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
Very true. Most people hate the taste of wine when they are children, but many learn to like it later when the association with its effects becomes marked.
Likewise I wouldnt drink kava just for the flavor, but because the association with effects is there, I don't mind the taste at all.
That's a really good way of putting it. I always say I like the taste of kava but I wouldn't drink it if it wasn't giving me the effects as well so it's more accurate to say that I don't mind the taste of kava in order to get through to the effects.