What's new

Kona kava 55% Kavalactone paste , good or bad?

txella

Hi, I’m new to the kava world. I’ve taken the capsules and they did nothing for me, so I ordered Kona kava 55% Kavalactone paste. I took two separate doses (each were an eighth of a teaspoon) and felt nothing. The paste was rock hard when I received it. I emailed the company and they said this last batch was just really hard but it was still good kava. I’m aware of reverse tolerance, but I’m also wondering if this is just bad kava because I’ve read some bad reviews on Amazon. Does anyone else have experience with this particular kava? Thanks! :)

Jacob Bula

Nobody
In general, people on this forum (myself included), are going to recommend traditional medium-grind kava. Kavalactone extracts are not kava. Kava is the prepared drink which is sort of like a cold water, mechanical extraction of the full-spectrum kavalactones and flavonoids of the plant. Others have said its like comparing caffeine pills to a coffee. I don't have any personal experience with extracts other than Yogi Kava tea which is mediocre, so others may have more insight on recommending those. If you are interested in kava, I recommend getting some medium grind kava root powder, a strainer bag, and some water and trying it the way that it has been enjoyed for 3000+ years.

Zaphod

Kava Lover
(y) what he said....extracts are different. They have never given me the same kava feel as a good grog. They tend to be heady with out much body. I feel like the are also very short lived.

AlexisReal

Kava Enthusiast
@txella welcome here (man?).

The above advice from @Jacob Bula is spot on, according to the basic understanding I have acquired.

What @Zaphod correctly points out above, is how even very good kava extracts, are more heady than bodily.

Now normally, I see a pro in that, as an option.

But to me, I alays say, do something properly.

Extracts are not the real kava experience.

I second advice to get some quality noble root and prepare properly, or decent instant, or both, and give kava the fair trial it deserves.

I think for the relatively few, reverse tolerance can take 2 to 3 weeks to suddenly resolve.

Never happened to me, but our own unique endocannabinoid systems, possibly also consciousness, may need more time to adapt and acclimate to the kava.

For me, it worked day one. My 70 year old mum as well. But we typically use medicinal herb edibles daily too, for vital digestive support in my case. That may be a factor for all that I know.

Oh, and yeah definitely- despite never having taken capsules, only a 30% extract in the naive beginning....I tell everyone considering kava- forget the capsules, do it properly.

Enjoy the ritual. Get into the spirit. Be felxible and adventurous with cultivars too I say.

Variety is the spice. All kavas can feel so different too.

It can take reasonable time and trial to find what you really like best and works for you the best.

I will watch this thread and I hope that you will be able to report back to us later on please we would all be very interested on your continued experience whichever Avenue you go down.

Last edited:

babesugarbunny

Kava Enthusiast
I've never tired those types of concentrates and I've never seen an experienced kava consumers recommend those. I did try to order from a shop with good reviews just to see the difference between drinking real kava and taking an extract. But I could not get it through customs. I do understand why those extracts and pills seems more convenient, but won't give you the kava experience.

Funny thing is that it was kava kava extracts from India that popped up on Ebay, that made me aware of it's existence. Then by reading about it I found this forum and were able to understand kava a lot more. I'm thankful for this online community!

AlexisReal

Kava Enthusiast
I personally just tried one 30% Kava extract from a European store, a year ago when my naive kava world entrance began.

Firstly- this kava extract STANK! Majorly.

It worked, but I only used it as a top up, often during a meal break hours after my "proper" kava session finished.

Honestly have not felt compelled to purchase this 30% extract again since.

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
I've never tired those types of concentrates and I've never seen an experienced kava consumers recommend those. I did try to order from a shop with good reviews just to see the difference between drinking real kava and taking an extract. But I could not get it through customs. I do understand why those extracts and pills seems more convenient, but won't give you the kava experience.

Funny thing is that it was kava kava extracts from India that popped up on Ebay, that made me aware of it's existence. Then by reading about it I found this forum and were able to understand kava a lot more. I'm thankful for this online community!
Kava extracts from India? What could possibly go wrong with that?