What's new

Krunkie's Pseudo-Kandy

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
Curiosity got to me so SCIENCE!

Here's what I did: Shook me up some Squanch in an Aluball, yum yum yum. Poured it into a coconut shell and Bula! Left the coconut shell out. Later, when the fine silky residue at the bottom of the shell was dried, I peeled off the bigger flakes and scraped the remaining powder with a spoon, put it in a glass jar. Lathered rinsed and repeated until I had about 1 tsp of that dried stuff.

Then I mixed it with about 1/2 tsp peanut butter and 1/2 tsp jam. Mixed it up real good till it formed a bolus. Popped it in my mouth. Tasted pleasant and only very mildly of kava. Had some faint numbing. Did this on an empty stomach first thing in the morning, because SCIENCE!

Tasted fine. Gave an effect almost exactly equivalent to that of eating a Kava Kava Candy, with only about 15x the hassle.

Still, I think I could do something with this......

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Curiosity got to me so SCIENCE!

Here's what I did: Shook me up some Squanch in an Aluball, yum yum yum. Poured it into a coconut shell and Bula! Left the coconut shell out. Later, when the fine silky residue at the bottom of the shell was dried, I peeled off the bigger flakes and scraped the remaining powder with a spoon, put it in a glass jar. Lathered rinsed and repeated until I had about 1 tsp of that dried stuff.

Then I mixed it with about 1/2 tsp peanut butter and 1/2 tsp jam. Mixed it up real good till it formed a bolus. Popped it in my mouth. Tasted pleasant and only very mildly of kava. Had some faint numbing. Did this on an empty stomach first thing in the morning, because SCIENCE!

Tasted fine. Gave an effect almost exactly equivalent to that of eating a Kava Kava Candy, with only about 15x the hassle.

Still, I think I could do something with this......
If you wanted to do it much faster, make up a huge batch of kava in the fridge, let it settle out really well, and then pour the water layer off. You'll be left with all the sediment that constitutes "kava". That paste should give you a full spectrum effect. I did a similar process with making instant kava on my evaporator hot plate. It left me big flakes of kava that I then milled down into a pseudo-instant of sorts. @Edward may also have some tips about getting the sediment layer into a usable form.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
If you wanted to do it much faster, make up a huge batch of kava in the fridge, let it settle out really well, and then pour the water layer off. You'll be left with all the sediment that constitutes "kava". That paste should give you a full spectrum effect. I did a similar process with making instant kava on my evaporator hot plate. It left me big flakes of kava that I then milled down into a pseudo-instant of sorts. @Edward may also have some tips about getting the sediment layer into a usable form.
You mean I don't have to drink shell after shell after shell of Squanch just to get a tsp of this stuff? Phooey.

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
I got a food dehydrator, made up huge batches of kava and then dried them to get about 1 tablespoon of instant kava. Oh it was strong alright but in the end it's just not worth it for the time and effort you put in. Also the beauty of instant kava is that it is almost like drinking fresh kava so I hear... almost...

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
I got a food dehydrator, made up huge batches of kava and then dried them to get about 1 tablespoon of instant kava. Oh it was strong alright but in the end it's just not worth it for the time and effort you put in. Also the beauty of instant kava is that it is almost like drinking fresh kava so I hear... almost...
Yes, I'm thinking occasional mini treat. Still, when I go for a walk I take a plastic bag. Empty cans are worth 10 cents in Michigan. Sure, I only get 50 cents or a buck, but I put that in a jar, and eventually, it adds up. I think the key with things like this is not to go out of your way, just take the freebie along the route, like wild grapes.

Donwanagan

Kava Curious
This reminded me of the process that I've heard apple jack was made. Essentially, back in the day of course, apple juices were pressed out of apples and fermented into cider. Then, that cider was put into barrels. During the winter it would freeze, and something to do with the freezing of cider is that the water ice rises to the top and the alcohol and cidery flavors remain towards the bottom. So during the winter one would scrape the watery ice off the top from time to time, continually increasing the alcohol by volume as the remaining cider became concentrated enough to be apple jack.
Maybe you could even do something like that with kava? What you mention seems similar without the freezing part. I make a motion for dubbing it "kava jack" lol.
Seriously might try this!

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
Actually I'm getting fairly good at taking the silky sediment from the bottom of a mason jar, spreading it thinly on a plate, and letting it dry overnight. I then scrape it off and put it in a jar and crush it to powder with a spoon. Getting quite a stash. Seems good for that candy but I must try adding it to juice as an instant.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
Actually I'm getting fairly good at taking the silky sediment from the bottom of a mason jar, spreading it thinly on a plate, and letting it dry overnight. I then scrape it off and put it in a jar and crush it to powder with a spoon. Getting quite a stash. Seems good for that candy but I must try adding it to juice as an instant.
Yes, I now do this all the time. Any time there is any silky sediment in the bottom of a shell, glass or mason jar, I spread it on a plate with the back of a spoon so it's evena nd thin, then let it dry overnight. I scrape the stuff into a half pint jar and when that is full I mill it using a coffee grinder and store the powder in a jar. You can use it to make instant kava, 1 TBS (or 2 if it's an emergency) in 8 oz cold water, stir well and chug. Or add to juices or whatever. Or even make toast, spread with peanut butter, sprinkle with 1 or 2 TBS of this powder and then top with honey or jam. Makes a good mellow breakfast.

It really hits instantly, too, when you drink it, I mean in seconds.