What's new

Lightest, least-sedating strains?

Dan

Kava Enthusiast
Hi all - been a while since I checked in here. Stopped drinking Kava a year or two ago because it was only making me sleepy, but I'm hoping to ease back into my grog.

At least a couple of years ago, BKH's Fu'u was one of the lighter, less-sedating strains. As the Kava market and vendors seem to be forever shifting, I'm looking for any more suggestions along the lines of non-soporific strains. Is Fu'u still the go-to variety for you heady/up types?

Thanks y'all!

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
Hi all - been a while since I checked in here. Stopped drinking Kava a year or two ago because it was only making me sleepy, but I'm hoping to ease back into my grog.

At least a couple of years ago, BKH's Fu'u was one of the lighter, less-sedating strains. As the Kava market and vendors seem to be forever shifting, I'm looking for any more suggestions along the lines of non-soporific strains. Is Fu'u still the go-to variety for you heady/up types?

Thanks y'all!
I'm more a heavy fiend but Pouni Ono from KWK was one I used to get on with. The Tongans from thekavaroots.com are all good. From GHK you could go with M'oi. Kavatime Savusavu. Plenty of other vendors and options.

Yo i just joined the forum page today! Still need to upload a picture but yeah the only strain I came accross with the least sedative effects was the pouni ono bought it from kalm w kava also it was the extract one. I'm drinking it right now! So good the euphoria is also more than most I've had fiji loa waka also had a lot of euphoria idk I drink everyday im obsessed! Lol

AlexisReal

Kava Enthusiast
@Edward above, who knows his onions ;) very well all around the bush, makes great suggestions always.

Indeed both Tongans from thekavaroots are very heady, less sedative, and very strongband high quality.

I recently tried Offa's kava, Tongan. Seems pretty strong, easy to drink, lovely scent, and very heady and less sedative.

I think I prefer it to Pouni Ono actually.

Borogu seems pretty well appreciated, a bit balanced but perhaps energetic and not too sleepy.

Palarasul is another one I found less sedative. Savusavu is a good heady, but no Kavatime for the moment.

Solomon headhunter I tried from Kavadepot which is very nice, uplifting, non sleepy kava.

When kavadepot finally restocks, I imagine all of their Solomon Kavas would likely fit the bill.

M'oi from GHK good shout from Edward too.
Bestfijikava grage A Lawena is not too sedating. Quite mild in terms of potency,,but a different effect profile to the Wakas.

Sure I'm forgetting others. Just keep trying. Look for the headies and run through them see what you like.

Tongans will be good. Nothing wrong with Pouni Ono, but in terms of quality and potency, kavaroots Tongans are a big step up.

Halibut_Acid

Krunkadelic
I recommend Kelsi from New Zealand Kava Society it's very heady with very little sedation or body effect for me. Most of my other go to heady kavas have already been mentioned in this thread so you can pretty much go with any of these recommendations and see how they are for you. I almost guarantee you there are a few strains listed here that won't sedate you. The Palarasul is another great one. I personally prefer to be sedated and quiet my mind but I also drink kava all day so I do definitely need heady kavas on hand.

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
The Kava Roots have just announced free shipping to North America. That's the perfect chance to stock up on some high quality root!

AlexisReal

Kava Enthusiast
I recommend Kelsi from New Zealand Kava Society it's very heady with very little sedation or body effect for me. Most of my other go to heady kavas have already been mentioned in this thread so you can pretty much go with any of these recommendations and see how they are for you. I almost guarantee you there are a few strains listed here that won't sedate you. The Palarasul is another great one. I personally prefer to be sedated and quiet my mind but I also drink kava all day so I do definitely need heady kavas on hand.
Hi. Hope you've gradually been feeling better. Guess what I bloody went and got? Flu can you believe it! Proper Flu. Definitely not Corona, I had that twice this year, numerous Coxsackie viruses. I know my infections very well, by feel and symptom profile, by finely tuned bodily and psychic intuition.

I had proper flu 3 times, December 2014, december 2015, and February 2016.

Each time identical from onset to end. Exactly 6 weeks each time, as per the old Bible, with true Flu long being viewed as a virtual stay in bed and rest and eat enough to see the other side basically.

Very specific identity, pattern and feel, unique to true flu, and entirely distinguishable to me, subjectively, to the hundreds of other infections I have had over the past 15 years, where my intuitive initial self diagnosis has always been strongly verified by testing.

Flu is the worst thing for the first two or three days. It really hits you like Bricks. But Flu occurs for a reason. Not because you got too close to an infectious individual.

But because you are overly run down, in need of a rest, a reset, a renewed outlook and direction in life.

Flu really can actually be a blessing. It hit me this time, 3 nights ago, like never before. 15 hour sleeps, still couldn't get up. Incredible fatigue, headache, malaise, tummy and appetite etc.

My lungs were so severely flooded with infection and excessive mucus.

Thank god, by using the electromedicine, I lowered the respiratory infection level by at least 80%.

Did my essential oil steam inhalation last night and cleared two full large coffee mugs of thick, bubbly mucus and catarrh from my lungs. I do this every day, no matter what, it's paramount to my survival. But the amount of mucus, difficulty and discomfort of the process varies massively day to day, depending on infection status, allergies etc.

Usually it's one full cup of mucus and more either side of the steam inhalation.

Last night was the first time ever I have officially filled the cup to overflowing twice, in one steam inhalation. Plus the usual extra mucus clearing- preparation and clean up either side.

The relief was enormous as always. The "feat" itself, was truly extraordinary. It takes serious will power and determination. If I don't do it, every day, at usual times, life is impossible and only one outcome would ensue.

But after the initial few days of flu, IME, it's like steadily ploughing down the lane at 21 mph until the 6 week life cycle expires, then gone!

Not too bad either. Constant and steady. Weak, fatigued, little appetite.

Keeping pneumonia at bay is the primary priority. Second is eating enough.

I can treat and clear any developing pneumonia with the electricity treatments, essential oils, oregano oil, raw garlic etc.

Eating enough will be my main challenge. But at least I cracked the initial flood of flu pneumonia. No Doctor could have done that for me, the electomedicine made that possible. The Doctor will tell me plainly- electromedicine does not work! As he has been deliberately wrongly informed by those charming drug companies. He believes it though bless him lol!

So that's that anyway. Thank god for my knowledge of home remedies and amazing alternative treatments at such times, for myself and my mum.

I want to drink kava but my flu tummy didn't apprecaite the 25 grams Kadavu last night.

I readied 25 grams Tongan Family Reserve to follow, just to "get up the hill" (one way I view the kava exoerience regarding dosing requirements), but I just couldn't face it. Just had a nice hot cup of cannabis tea, very antiviral are these teas and excellent for the tummy.

I may have a go at the Family Reserve shortly, just need to eat some food today, rest, control mucus levels and not let respiratory infection flourish.

So, on topic, sorry for that...kelai! I did not suggest that one, because ironically, despite being hailed as being as heady as they come, for some people, it has a surprising sedative edge.

Very high in kavain, vs the other main 5 I believe. Kavain does have a sedative edge.

Hence me not shouting Kelai. But we each can react differently.

Last edited:

AlexisReal

Kava Enthusiast
The Kava Roots have just announced free shipping to North America. That's the perfect chance to stock up on some high quality root!
Yes I got their email. No use to us of course. It's two purchases maximum up until later January, so grab it quick folks.

I am due receipt of 2 Ib's Family Reserve on Jan 5th as it happens, all things going well.

AlexisReal

Kava Enthusiast
Yo i just joined the forum page today! Still need to upload a picture but yeah the only strain I came accross with the least sedative effects was the pouni ono bought it from kalm w kava also it was the extract one. I'm drinking it right now! So good the euphoria is also more than most I've had fiji loa waka also had a lot of euphoria idk I drink everyday im obsessed! Lol
You may like KSNZ's Kelai in particular, also the Palarasul, if you really like that euphoria.

OFFA's kava is quite euphoric.

Kavadepot Vanuatu Waka I think is pretty euphoric, but it affects me so strongly personally it's hard to identify it's character properly.

Their Solomon Headhunter is strong in a different way. Gentler by far and less heavy. But not exactly euphoric- more mood brightening and general feelgood factor.

Halibut_Acid

Krunkadelic
Hi. Hope you've gradually been feeling better. Guess what I bloody went and got? Flu can you believe it! Proper Flu. Definitely not Corona, I had that twice this year, numerous Coxsackie viruses. I know my infections very well, by feel and symptom profile, by finely tuned bodily and psychic intuition.

I had proper flu 3 times, December 2014, december 2015, and February 2016.

Each time identical from onset to end. Exactly 6 weeks each time, as per the old Bible, with true Flu long being viewed as a virtual stay in bed and rest and eat enough to see the other side basically.

Very specific identity, pattern and feel, unique to true flu, and entirely distinguishable to me, subjectively, to the hundreds of other infections I have had over the past 15 years, where my intuitive initial self diagnosis has always been strongly verified by testing.

Flu is the worst thing for the first two or three days. It really hits you like Bricks. But Flu occurs for a reason. Not because you got too close to an infectious individual.

But because you are overly run down, in need of a rest, a reset, a renewed outlook and direction in life.

Flu really can actually be a blessing. It hit me this time, 3 nights ago, like never before. 15 hour sleeps, still couldn't get up. Incredible fatigue, headache, malaise, tummy and appetite etc.

My lungs were so severely flooded with infection and excessive mucus.

Thank god, by using the electromedicine, I lowered the respiratory infection level by at least 80%.

Did my essential oil steam inhalation last night and cleared two full large coffee mugs of thick, bubbly mucus and catarrh from my lungs. I do this every day, no matter what, it's paramount to my survival. But the amount of mucus, difficulty and discomfort of the process varies massively day to day, depending on infection status, allergies etc.

Usually it's one full cup of mucus and more either side of the steam inhalation.

Last night was the first time ever I have officially filled the cup to overflowing twice, in one steam inhalation. Plus the usual extra mucus clearing- preparation and clean up either side.

The relief was enormous as always. The "feat" itself, was truly extraordinary. It takes serious will power and determination. If I don't do it, every day, at usual times, life is impossible and only one outcome would ensue.

But after the initial few days of flu, IME, it's like steadily ploughing down the lane at 21 mph until the 6 week life cycle expires, then gone!

Not too bad either. Constant and steady. Weak, fatigued, little appetite.

Keeping pneumonia at bay is the primary priority. Second is eating enough.

I can treat and clear any developing pneumonia with the electricity treatments, essential oils, oregano oil, raw garlic etc.

Eating enough will be my main challenge. But at least I cracked the initial flood of flu pneumonia. No Doctor could have done that for me, the electomedicine made that possible. The Doctor will tell me plainly- electromedicine does not work! As he has been deliberately wrongly informed by those charming drug companies. He believes it though bless him lol!

So that's that anyway. Thank god for my knowledge of home remedies and amazing alternative treatments at such times, for myself and my mum.

I want to drink kava but my flu tummy didn't apprecaite the 25 grams Kadavu last night.

I readied 25 grams Tongan Family Reserve to follow, just to "get up the hill" (one way I view the kava exoerience regarding dosing requirements), but I just couldn't face it. Just had a nice hot cup of cannabis tea, very antiviral are these teas and excellent for the tummy.

I may have a go at the Family Reserve shortly, just need to eat some food today, rest, control mucus levels and not let respiratory infection flourish.

So, on topic, sorry for that...kelai! I did not suggest that one, because ironically, despite being hailed as being as heady as they come, for some people, it has a surprising sedative edge.

Very high in kavain, vs the other main 5 I believe. Kavain does have a sedative edge.

Hence me not shouting Kelai. But we each can react differently.

That's sounds like a bummer, glad you got through the initial rough phase. I have fortunately never gotten the flu that I know of. I am usually not very prone to viral illness. With corona I did not get very sick and am feeling essentially normal at this point aside from slightly diminished sense of smell and taste. Hope you get better soon

AlexisReal

Kava Enthusiast
That's sounds like a bummer, glad you got through the initial rough phase. I have fortunately never gotten the flu that I know of. I am usually not very prone to viral illness. With corona I did not get very sick and am feeling essentially normal at this point aside from slightly diminished sense of smell and taste. Hope you get better soon
Thanks bro. Glad to hear that. And the Family Reserve has been really enjoyable too. Very strong but functional kava that one.

I'm just going to stay on my electricity treatments now. It works on every single microbe, unselectively, in the applied area. If I put the hours in, I never fail to get results.

Just need to stay relaxed, keep usual anxiety at bay, and focus on eating enough food successfully for the meantime.

I have a craving for some WoW kava next. Can't decide what to half and half it with. Either Kelai, or OFFA's. I may reach my 50 grams today we'll see.

Glad you got better so quick and didn't suffer. For the most part, it really is massively overblown. Just more serious for a minority, in a nutshell.

I swear flu is worse any day, based on extensive personal experience.

So no mince pies here lol, but thank god for kava.

AlexisReal

Kava Enthusiast
Exactly. Most all good Tongans are light, but not lacking. Although TKR ones are higher quality and potency in my discernment.