What's new

Kava Vaping/Smoking Review Limited Edition Cigar

Vekta

Notorious Lightweight
Review Maestro
Before I get into the review I'd like to issue a disclaimer to keep things in perspective and be completely open about how I did this review. First of all, I'm not a smoker. These may be the only cigars I ever smoke so my review may be lacking in many aspects with regards to cigars. But Kava King was very generous to send all these goodies to review and review I shall!

I called my dad in on this one to help me out and do most of the puffing. On the outside it just looks like a cigar. Tabaco smell and a very slight sweetness lurking somewhere in the background. So far it was a pretty ordinary experience. Until we lit it up.

Oh boy...

First puff...nothing. Second puff...hit like a truck. 3 puffs and we were done. It took my dad that extra puff to feel it but when he did he said it was like night and day. I was certainly feeling good, very relaxed, melting into the chair. I was going to go take a shower but then decided it was probably a better idea to just go sit down...or lay down. We decided to share more of this some other time. My dad wrote a mini review which I will post here:

“During second puff, hit! 3Rd puff , full relaxation! After 2-3 more arms tingle, legs relaxed like a ½ pint of brandy. 10-15 minutes complete relaxation.”

A treat once in a rare blue moon? Celebrating something? A rainy day on the porch? Live a little. Make it a Kava King Cigar.

PS- Ok...break time. G'me a few days. I'll get back to the reviews...after a nap.::couch::

Last edited by a moderator:

Bert07

Me like da kava
I might really have to try this out. Never was a tobacco smoker but this is an eye catcher.

Bert07

Me like da kava
From what I know, cigars aren't meant to be inhaled. How much was inhaled when you puffed? Are you supposed to smoke these a certain way or just as any other cigar? I'm guessing the latter.

Vekta

Notorious Lightweight
Review Maestro
@Bert07 We didn't inhale. We did mouth draws and then blew out. If you can inhale off these things props to you lol. My dad tried it...wasn't fun for him lol. I accidentally inhaled a little and that wasn't too fun. I just followed my dad's lead and double checked some resources online. Don't inhale...unless you have iron lungs. >_>

It's non-traditional for sure. I'm not saying this should be a common thing but as a rare treat, a guilty pleasure once in a very blue moon... Sure why not. Man, I'm still feeling it. Warm, relaxed all over.

Try it at least once if you got'm. I'm not a smoker but i don't regret giving it a go. My dad certainly enjoyed it to. I'll be having a few puffs here and there. Maybe sit on my own porch for a bit the next rainy day.

Bert07

Me like da kava
@Bert07 We didn't inhale. We did mouth draws and then blew out. If you can inhale off these things props to you lol. My dad tried it...wasn't fun for him lol. I accidentally inhaled a little and that wasn't too fun. I just followed my dad's lead and double checked some resources online. Don't inhale...unless you have iron lungs. >_>

It's non-traditional for sure. I'm not saying this should be a common thing but as a rare treat, a guilty pleasure once in a very blue moon... Sure why not. Man, I'm still feeling it. Warm, relaxed all over.

Try it at least once if you got'm. I'm not a smoker but i don't regret giving it a go. My dad certainly enjoyed it to. I'll be having a few puffs here and there. Maybe sit on my own porch for a bit the next rainy day.
I see. I've had cigars before on special occasions and knew never to inhale as you're not supposed to but I won't deny I never tried it a few times. I'm curious as to how the kavalactones are actually ingested then if barely any smoke is inhaled. Has to be sublingually somehow through the gums, but still, how so if it's only smoke?

Vekta

Notorious Lightweight
Review Maestro
@Bert07 I donno...but i felt something. It'll be interesting to see what Kap'm says. He actually knows what he's doing with these things, lol.

verticity

I'm interested in things
@Vekta have you ever smoked a cigar with only tobacco? Was the experience different? I would think the nicotine would overpower the kava if you don't have a tolerance.

Vekta

Notorious Lightweight
Review Maestro
@verticity No, this is the only cigar I have ever smoked. My dad however has been a smoker for longer than I've been alive. He didn't detect any nicotine. I didn't get sick or anything from the dozen or so draws I took. (we were done in 3 but we kept saying that while taking more lol)

I'd like to think I'm pretty familiar with what kava feels like (I hope by now). So I'd say with reasonably high confidence that what I felt was from that.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
So the cigar contains no nicotine?
Oh yes. It's a traditional cigar. There's plenty of nicotine in them I assure you. I haven't smoked mine yet as its takes a pretty large time commitment, which lately I haven't had, but I'll chime in on how they are when I get to them :)

Bert07

Me like da kava
Deciphering between the effects from the actual cigar and its nicotine and the kava that's in it seems like it'd be a bit of a challenge. I'll keep checking in to see what you have to say Kapm. Last time I checked Kava King's website they were sold out of these so it won't be anytime soon that I can test them myself.

Vekta

Notorious Lightweight
Review Maestro
This is one of those things that you'll be hard pressed to say it's not in some way bad for you. But enjoying one on a rare blue moon isn't a crime. Nicotine or not I haven't had any smoke cravings or anything like that. This is just one of those luxuries to have once in a long while. I purposely chose to avoid the philosophical debate about smoking vs not smoking. It is what it is.

@Bert07 Yes I'm looking forward to what Kapm has to say about it to. Like I said, never smoked anything before. But I do know what good fast hitting kava is like. This thing was like having some really good fast hitting kava. I'll be the first to admit I'm a cigar noob so take my review with more than a grain of salt.

But for what it's worth, there is the review and my dad liked this cigar to. To him, this was a far more interesting experience than just some regular cigar.

greenbeen

Kava Enthusiast
I have to admire the initiative of Kava King for such a unique and respectably presented product, and I understand this would probably be an "occasional use" item rather than a daily diet. But still, I rather don't like seeing kava smoked... It isn't traditional, and there are no precedents at all about health risks. I assume that since experts recommend against solvent extraction, they would be even more against this method of consumption. We know that solvents extract things we don't want, and the heat involved in combustion might even produce new compounds beyond these. Sorry to be the devil's advocate, but that's my position.
I have to say i dont admire the initiative of kava king. Making smokeable kava cigars is a huge step backwards for keeping kava out of the legal highs category. When companies introduce new kava products instead of new kava strains i feel like were moving backwards in the progress of making judgemental people understand what kava truly is/does. These (kava cigars) are the products that give kava a bad name. As much as i like the kava candies, the longer we can keep kava as a ground plant root the better off well be. If take a step back and look at the bigger picture the more we stray from traditional kava root with foreign products that contain kava the quicker kava will be in the limelight/media and the quicker it will be banned in more states than one. If there are alredy kava cigars how long before they spray kava on damiana leaf and sell it in 3g packages like other things at headshops?

greenbeen

Kava Enthusiast
Thanks, @Vekta
I'd like to expand a little... I mean no disrespect at all to Kava King, my concern is for the reputation of kava and its continued legality. The further we can distance ourselves from any non-traditional use, "legal high", or "head shop" associations, the better. I'm not saying these cigars are a "head shop" commodity, but a less respectable vendor could easily take such an idea as "smokable kava" and run with it. This would not be good.
Damnit i should of read the entire thread before posting. I feel like im just an echo now. Oh well i suppose its a good enough point to be said twice.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
@greenbeen I don't necessarily think those products are bad, or bode poorly for kava. It's all in how it's presented. The kava cigars are presented, to me, in a respectful way. If you have a kava bar that sells purely noble, clean, perfect root made traditionally, but yet advertise it as a "legal high" it still does the same damage.