What's new

Liver test after insane use of kava.

Status
Not open for further replies.

yepimonfire

Kava Enthusiast
So recently I had a physical, tested liver values, today I decided to call and get the values. At the time the blood test was taken I was consuming a minimum of 8tbsp of kava a night and a max of 12-16tbsp. So basically a shitload of kava, if someone was going to strain there liver, id be that person, many night consuming things like stone, koniak, boroguru, plenty of wakacon etc, stuff with lots of kavalactones.

Well, it turns out all my values were right in the middle of the normal range, not high, not low. Pretty safe to say kava has no real effect on the liver (traditional use obviously).

Just thought I'd pass this on to you all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

D

Deleted User01

You are confirming what my doc said a long time ago. I says, "Doc, I'm afraid that my drinking is going to ruin my liver". Doc says, for some people it does and for some it doesn't. Just a genes kinda thing. So Yepimonfire, looks like you got a ticket to ride.

Vekta

Notorious Lightweight
Review Maestro
When I had blood work and other things done they also found nothing out of the ordinary. I'm not shy about telling the doctor I drink kava. I've encountered a surprising amount of support and interest.

Gourmet Hawaiian Kava

Kava Expert
Kava Vendor
Me and my friend Ed Johnston did the same thing and our liver was just fine and we both drink kava on a regular basis, I would go as far as to say we are both hard core drinkers when it comes to kava. :D
We both only use kava in the traditional way too, no extracts. Aloha.

Chris

D

Deactivated Account

I was consuming a minimum of 8tbsp of kava a night and a max of 12-16tbsp. So basically a shitload of kava
Thats pretty much what i drink when ive got decent kava, actually more i reckon ….its never worried me to do that quantity for a week or 2 straight & i only stop when i run out. I once had a batch of kava that did make me quite ill, well i cant explain it but it just made me completely wrong but thats just the one time & it came from some super hard core fijians. Other than that once, the worst thats happened is a bit of a seedy feeling the next day remedied with……more kava of course.

Gourmet Hawaiian Kava

Kava Expert
Kava Vendor
@ Nemo, some Fijian can be tuday kava and some is also molded and old, you can smell the mold, the age or even the chemical treatment they use to bring it out of Fiji, you got to make sure you have a good supplier of Fiji kava, well any kava for that matter. It does sound like you got a batch that was old and moldy or a batch with a chemotype that did not agree with you. Aloha.

Chris

D

Deactivated Account

It would not have been a week old but the chap indicated too much would make me crook. I strongly suspect it was a tudai of some description.

Like any idiot I downed the 1kg in about 3 days. Honestly I did not want to get off the lounge for 3 days after. I've never once in my life felt depression but I'm sure I know a bit of what it must be like over those 3 days. Nothing at all interested me, I didn't want to even move. I was sick to the bloody gills mate. It was a terrible space.

So recently I had a physical, tested liver values, today I decided to call and get the values. At the time the blood test was taken I was consuming a minimum of 8tbsp of kava a night and a max of 12-16tbsp. So basically a shitload of kava, if someone was going to strain there liver, id be that person, many night consuming things like stone, koniak, boroguru, plenty of wakacon etc, stuff with lots of kavalactones.

Well, it turns out all my values were right in the middle of the normal range, not high, not low. Pretty safe to say kava has no real effect on the liver (traditional use obviously).

Just thought I'd pass this on to you all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What method you you use to prepare your kava?

D

Deleted User01

@Zach Thompson, I haven't seen Yepimonfire here in a long time. However, I know that Chris likes to put a bunch of Micronized in a water bottle and shake it and gulp. I do micronized with water too and my liver readings are 18-22, very low. Plus I drink alcohol now and then (but nowhere like I used to). I think it's a good idea to have your blood checked twice a year for good measure. And it doesn't matter if you are doing kava or not. You just don't want anything to sneak up on you when you're not watching. From watching the liver readings of our members, I know it is a myth that kava messes with the liver. Alcohol can do that but you have to be an abuser. So it boils down to genetics. Everything is about Genetics. I'm totally convinced of that. In the future, they will devise a gene test that tells you what's gonna kill you and on what date. Pretty convenient huh? Yeah, screw the 401K, I won't be needing it. Buy a boat instead and fill it with Kava and go fishing.

D

Deleted User01

I'll be danged. Hey @yepimonfire, I haven't seen you in a while. Or maybe you post when I ain't around. Good to see ya dude! The power of the forum is that it reaches out to you when somebody calls your name. Kinda cool. Anyway, I have to wipe the caca from my face after saying Yepi wasn't showing up. :oops:

yepimonfire

Kava Enthusiast
I'll be danged. Hey @yepimonfire, I haven't seen you in a while. Or maybe you post when I ain't around. Good to see ya dude! The power of the forum is that it reaches out to you when somebody calls your name. Kinda cool. Anyway, I have to wipe the caca from my face after saying Yepi wasn't showing up. :oops:
I've been away from the forum for a while but I still consider myself to be an active part of the community for sure. I do receive emails on replies. Just been super busy with schooling. It's spring break now though!

Kava in no way has any negative effect on the liver. I even drank it when taking a hepatotoxic drug, obviously liver readings were slightly elevated from that but if the kava on top of it was dangerous it would have been through the roof.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
What is "toss and wash"?
It is the consuming of un-strained kava root powder. Toss and wash specifically refers to placing powdered material in your mouth and chasing it with water. I wouldn't suggest it for stomach upset reasons.

verticity

I'm interested in things
It is the consuming of un-strained kava root powder. Toss and wash specifically refers to placing powdered material in your mouth and chasing it with water. I wouldn't suggest it for stomach upset reasons.
It's basically like drinking coffee by mixing coffee grounds with water without filtering it. :wtf:

I drove an hour to a city with a legit Kava bar, and bought $35 worth of their strongest Kava. I came back home and drank too much. I am definitely feeling the effects. I am feeling some negative effects. My BP is way high. I took a Beta Blocker to lower it down to normal. Usually my BP is 115-120/55-56, and it was in the 160s/90s.

Bula Kava House

Portland, OR
Kava Vendor
Kava Bar Owner
There's a pattern here. I have never seen elevated liver enzymes from anyone drinking traditionally prepared kava, whether they drink noble, non-noble, or a mix of both. Our regulars at the bar and from the online store often tell me about their results.

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
I drove an hour to a city with a legit Kava bar, and bought $35 worth of their strongest Kava. I came back home and drank too much. I am definitely feeling the effects. I am feeling some negative effects. My BP is way high. I took a Beta Blocker to lower it down to normal. Usually my BP is 115-120/55-56, and it was in the 160s/90s.
Definitely no matter how noble the kava you can overdo it! It's a learning curve. Try spacing your shells out over a longer period of time. I find the full effects of certain kavas can take 30 to 60 mins to fully show themselves. If you're putting another shell in after 20 mins you might miss the signs to stop until it's too late.

Status
Not open for further replies.