What's new

Medium Grind vs Micronized

Go Krunk Yourself

Kava Enthusiast
Been trying to do Medium Grind for a few days. I'm really finding the effects to leave something to be desired. I've been doing 5-9 TBPS a day strained through aluball and then double washed. I shake for about 3 minutes fairly vigorously and the color is dark, I get the mouth numbing and bitter taste though its far more pronounced with micronized. I've tried two strains so far and I have really only felt a trickle. Nothing like people in reviews talk about. I mean, I can "feel" it. There is some.. effect.. but it can be compared to a placebo. But I find micronized to be much more effective. If I have a heavy night with micronized I will atleast feel it. I have yet to feel Kava in the way you guys described, micronized or medium grind aside, but I definitely found micronized to pack more of a punch, but due to dietary concern am trying to limit consuming so much of the plant matter.

Any suggestions? I have really only started to do Kava on a consistent everyday basis starting these past few days whereas before it was maybe twice a week. I did what is supposed to be quite a potent strain Loa Waka by Kalm with Kava and it's just.. nothing spectacular (not specifically the strain I'm just saying how its effecting me). No great anxiety relief. Just feeling body effects. Effects around the head.. etc. But again, quite weak at-least in therapeutic value.

I think I'm going to try to strain it and drinking some all at once (maybe like 3 TBS) the traditional way instead of 1 by 1 with aluball tommorow.

Bula Kava House

Portland, OR
Kava Vendor
Kava Bar Owner
Haha. Love the name, @Go Krunk Yourself.

Definitely try the ol' kneading and squeezing technique. It's also important to use the right ratios. I like 1 part kava to 4 or 5 parts water. It seems like a lot, but it's how I guarantee a shell that'll knock you on your ass.

Go Krunk Yourself

Kava Enthusiast
@Go Krunk Yourself Volume wise. For example, 1 cup of root to 4 or 5 cups of water.

As for the plant matter and carbs, it's nearly carbohydrate free. I wouldn't worry too much about that.
Carb free? We've been having a whole dialog in a thread of mine about the fact it's not so that would be news to me.

Our resident scientist dude @verticity actually had this to say:

Doing some math here: a tablespoon of micronized is about 8 grams. A little less than half of that would be starch and sugar. So, say you consumed 4 tablespoons. That would be 16 g of carbs. That's not a huge amount, but for an ultra low carb diet they recommend only consuming 20-50 g of carbs per day, so kava could make a difference.

Bula Kava House

Portland, OR
Kava Vendor
Kava Bar Owner
Carb free? We've been having a whole dialog in a thread of mine about the fact it's not so that would be news to me.

Doing some math here: a tablespoon of micronized is about 8 grams. A little less than half of that would be starch and sugar. So, say you consumed 4 tablespoons. That would be 16 g of carbs. That's not a huge amount, but for an ultra low carb diet they recommend only consuming 20-50 g of carbs per day, so kava could make a difference.
I guess I didn't realize how low carb you were looking to go. 12 or 13 grams is pretty low, but if you're almost entirely trying to avoid carbs, that may be too much for you.

verticity

I'm interested in things

Yeah I was talking about with respect to an ultra low carb diet, like so low that your body literally starts producing ketones. For practical purposes for most people not on such a diet, kava would not contribute a significant amount of carbs to their overall diet.

Also my comments were about micronized kava, where you just mix it with water without filtering. Kava prepared in the traditional way would likely be much lower in carbs, but I can't say exactly how much lower.

verticity

I'm interested in things
As far as the question in the original post: When I use the aluball I find that it works much better at extracting as much as possible if the ball is not packed too tightly. In other words, use less water and half-fill the ball rather than completely filling it. Preparing more than a single serving this way is a lot of work, so I prefer kneading. Using hot (but not boiling) water also seems to make it stronger. @Bula Kava House 's recommendation of a 1 to 4 ratio definitely will make a very strong drink. I personally prefer to use about 1/2 cup of root to about 4 cups of water, which would be a 1 to 8 ratio. The size of the holes in the filter can make a difference too. If your stomach is not sensitive, you can use a paint strainer which is about 300 microns to make it very strong, or a women's sheer stocking. I use a 80 micron filter which makes it weaker but easier on the stomach.

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
It doesn't sound like a prep problem if you're getting a dark liquid and mouth numbing, sounds like you just need to keep trying.

@verticity if I'm at home and want a bigger batch I will blend but sometimes do aluball in the house. I have no trouble making as much kava as I need by using 3 balls in one shaker. Definitely better not to overfill them though. I find I can easily have a 3 to 6 tbsp session with 2 to 4 shells using the aluball. Also with triple aluballing if you add the balls one at a time or start with two and then add the third you are double/triple washing the original root as you go along. I think it's the most economical method I can think of for me. I hate double washing after blending, it's too much trouble.

D

Deleted User01

@Go Krunk Yourself, you are finding out what I have always known, Micronized gives you all the Kava nutrients and vitamins as prescribed by the Association of Islander Doctors. If you get Maca-less micronized, you get way less fiber but you get all the major and minor Kavalactones that make for a well rounded Krunk. It's part of my well rounded diet. :hungry:

Go Krunk Yourself

Kava Enthusiast
@Go Krunk Yourself, you are finding out what I have always known, Micronized gives you all the Kava nutrients and vitamins as prescribed by the Association of Islander Doctors. If you get Maca-less micronized, you get way less fiber but you get all the major and minor Kavalactones that make for a well rounded Krunk. It's part of my well rounded diet. :hungry:
So you exclusively use micronized?

D

Deleted User01

So you exclusively use micronized?
I use Micro exclusevly and there are very rare exceptions. For my schedule, it's the most convenient way for me to have kava during the day. Also, I don't get dermo. But that's probably an aberration.

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
I use Micro exclusevly and there are very rare exceptions. For my schedule, it's the most convenient way for me to have kava during the day. Also, I don't get dermo. But that's probably an aberration.
I wonder if a point can be made if the micro is makaless, it would contain less carbs because there is less unwanted plant material. Another point, if Chris is removing the makas, one would think you are getting a better deal on the weight and volume of goodness.

Go Krunk Yourself

Kava Enthusiast
I wonder if a point can be made if the micro is makaless, it would contain less carbs because there is less unwanted plant material. Another point, if Chris is removing the makas, one would think you are getting a better deal on the weight and volume of goodness.
This is what I was thinking. Dont know if KWK does or the guys who make 11 year waka do but I have those.

Bula Kava House

Portland, OR
Kava Vendor
Kava Bar Owner
I could be wrong on this but I am pretty sure Chris is the only vendor that does this and has been doing so.
No. Our makas are removed from both the 11 Year and the 'Eua micro (if you can get your hands on it).

Last edited:

Go Krunk Yourself

Kava Enthusiast
No. Our makas are removed from both the 11 Year and the 'Eua micro (if you can get your hands on it).
I'll need to try it. I bought a pound of it.

Whats the actual story with removing the macas though? Why is it done at all?

Just did 4-5 TBPS of Borongoru with double washes, but this time I tried really doing it back to back instead of waiting some time inbetween. Feeling it more today than I have since starting medium grind, but not quite what I got on some of my micronized nights but this is better.