What's new

Micronized and nausea

Status
Not open for further replies.

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
Does micronized still increase the chance of nausea or has this issue been sorted out now? I've just noticed KWK selling micronized versions and I would love to try. Anyone have any experience of them yet? Or any other micronized products?

Also how does the cost compare to ground/instant? Somewhere in the middle?

TheKavaSociety

New Zealand
Kava Vendor
Moderate consumption of any type of noble kava shouldn't be a problem.
However, if you want to go "all in" and drink an excessive amount of kava then yes, you are more likely to get nausea from micro (with or without makas with the former being obviously easier to digest) than from properly strained traditional grind or instant. And by "properly strained" I do not mean strained through an old sock or a fijian strainer. I mean a proper, very fine, 10-100 micron bag. When you strain your kava through a bag like this you are left with pure liquid, no root particles. It's almost as smooth as pure water.

Last edited by a moderator:

Steve Mariotti

Kavapithecus Krunkarensis
Review Maestro
Micro gives me nausea. I have to space out my shells with micro a lot more. 20 minutes at least, or I feel the nausea waves start to hit. Definitely harder on the tum than traditional prep because you're getting the whole root (minus the makas in most preparations) including insoluble fiber. With traditional prep, you just get oil containing the kavalactones suspended in water and then some amount of tiny sediment depending on your straining bag hole size.

SelfBiasResistor

Persist for Resistance!
You really should try it. Effects wise, good micro can be very potent. My stomach is very sensitive to kava in general and micro is harder to get down but the effects are well worth it! For me, I get more nausea but it doesn't make me sick.

Squanch72

Kava Vendor
Yeah micro makes my stomach feel a little rough and I dislike the taste. I am so thankful for the Aluball, now I can make medium grind root grog up as fast as micro grog.

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
Yeah micro makes my stomach feel a little rough and I dislike the taste. I am so thankful for the Aluball, now I can make medium grind root grog up as fast as micro grog.
Do you not find a little too much sediment gets through? I felt pretty bad the other night on 2 tablespoons of Opihikao!

Squanch72

Kava Vendor
Do you not find a little too much sediment gets through? I felt pretty bad the other night on 2 tablespoons of Opihikao!
A little bit of sediment does get through but it doesn't bother my stomach. No matter how I prep I always have some settlement. I either drink the last sip carefully to avoid it, or add a little water over it and slam it down all devil may care like.

Kravatomill

Kava Curious
I drink loads of micronized. Kava king to be specific.
I never noticed any nausea, or not more than I would otherwise. But I do use less root than I would normally, which kinds of shows that we usually throw away some kavalactones, which doesn't really come as a surprise.

On a side note though, I had about 3 tsp of "rise and root this morning, about 11:00. In the evening I had about 7 beers (50 cl)
Needless to say I'm a bit tipsy right now, but I noticed my right arm, and my back has broken out in a serious flush. I wouldn't have noticed it unless I saw it, but it looks very freaky. This has happened before, and serves as a reminder that it's probably better to have a healthy 24 hour distance between kava and some serious alcohol consumption (I still dont think 1 beer is any problem).

I dont feel more drunk or any other problems, but I kind of take for granted that it's because of the kava (or the alcohol if you like)
If anyone has a logical explanation then please chip in.

(I have heard some asians, especially chinese, are less tolerant to alcohol because of some enzyme, so perhaps kava is just trying to make me fit in down here more ^^ )

Crunked

Proselytizer
All micronized is not the same. Dry root that has been very finely ground is typically sold as micronized. I can't see the difference between drinking that and toss-n-wash. Coarsely ground fibre or finely ground fibre is still fibre. Toss-n-wash can cause, among other things, stomach upset and dermopathy.

GHK micro has the 'makas' removed during production, making it quite different to toss-n-wash. I have consumed GHK micro often with no ill effects whatever. I wouldn't even consider consuming plain dry root powder that has just been finely ground.

Steph

Kava Enthusiast
First let me say that I don't usually have a problem with nausea with traditional prep. I had some micronized 11 year waka from BKH. I mixed 2Tbs. with 8 oz. water. I then followed that in twenty minutes with 8oz. more. It definitely hit me the strongest of any kava I've had so far. (I've had quite a few) I'm wondering if it's the micronized kava or did I use too much. Just thinking about drinking it makes me nauseas, but the effects were so good. The consistency seemed different, seemed thicker.

D

Deleted User01

I only do Micronized from GHK. I have no problems with Nausea and that's why I only do Micronized. Potent and easy to prepare. From what I understand, Chris at GHK has a process where he removes the Macas, heavy fibers, and so it is less likely to cause stomach problems.

D

Deleted User01

Well I don't have access to all the great tailors in the UK either (not to mention steak and kidney pie). :hungry: GKE out of Ireland was selling GHK at one time. Not sure what happened to that arrangement.

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
Well I don't have access to all the great tailors in the UK either (not to mention steak and kidney pie). :hungry: GKE out of Ireland was selling GHK at one time. Not sure what happened to that arrangement.
Only a small selection and med grind. I'd love to try the instants from GHK for the lorry but can't as of yet. I've been in touch with my government, waiting to hear back...

Bert07

Me like da kava
First time I have ever legitimately "gotten sick" from kava just happened recently the other week..and it was micro (there's always a first, eh). And believe me I've had a fair share of moments battling with heavy nausea from kava; looking back at it now, I don't even know how I was able to do it without any problems that's how bad it was at times. Although I was always able to keep it down for some reason - apparently not this time around however.

From my experience, I've had equally as much nausea with medium grind as I did with micro, and still do. I can even say much more frequently as well. Yet again it needs to be taken into consideration the fact that I use a nut milk bag as opposed to your typical strainer, which isn't as fine (let's in more root).

Bert07

Me like da kava
@Bert07 You don't strain the micro though?
I never do. I know some people like to but I never saw the point since the main purpose of using micro over medium grind to begin with is to reduce all of the required prep involved when working with grind. If straining is your thing for trying to reduce nausea then by all means you can do it; personally to me it seems almost counter-intuitive to strain because it's defeating the entire purpose of a toss n' wash or straight up mixing it in a drink and downing. If I didn't mind always straining root I'd only use medium grind for its cost efficiency. It's just as potent in effects.

Status
Not open for further replies.