What's new

My belly became the center

kavakarma

Kava Enthusiast
Has this ever happened to you? I had a couple shells of Spotted Hiwa today at work, came home, showered, laid down, and experienced a sensation that is challenging to give words. I felt my awareness in my diaphragm, and my thoughts, my actions from the day, were expanding and contracting with my breath. Densely within, and spread far away. Each of the 40 or 50 plates that I wash on any given day, pots, pans, utinsels, knives, cutting boards, everything, casting apart with each breath of air then coming together when letting go.. I was feeling like knots were loosening in my digestive system. A precise balancing of pressure, with internal cavities.

This reminds me of Manipura, "the third primary chakra according to Vedic tradition." - the Solar Plexus. I had been fasting for the recommended four hours, and that may contribute why I had visionary effects with tonight's Kava ceremony. I'd like to expand on the idea (pun intended) and see if you have ever noticed this phenomenon.

Bula!

JohnMichael

Kava Synchronized
This reminds me of Manipura, "the third primary chakra according to Vedic tradition." - the Solar Plexus. I had been fasting for the recommended four hours, and that may contribute why I had visionary effects with tonight's Kava ceremony.

Beautiful experience. Kava works well as Soma as one drinks it and reads the Rig Veda.

kavakarma

Kava Enthusiast
I'd like to get a copy of the Rig Veda, since you're familiar with it, can you find me a good hardcopy to buy online please? I have studied the introductory lessons of Buddhism and Hinduism and it was more than five years ago when I was reading The Four Truths and I realized this reaches out to me more than the majority of literature I've studied on The Bible and similar works. I found something more compatible and in alignment with what my core beliefs are when I read this. Will you help me find the RidVeda @JohnMichael ?

JohnMichael

Kava Synchronized
I am not a Vedic student or devotee. I just enjoy reading a number of "scriptures" from various traditions. There are several translations and editions available. Many are abridged or otherwise partial selections. To buy a complete hardcopy is going to be expensive. I have three editions. All bought from Amazon online. The first one I bought was the old Griffith translation. It is ok...but not the best. The one I enjoy reading devotionally is Kashyap's 12 volume work. There are ten mandalas, but a couple of the larger ones he produces in two volumes. He presents the text in both Sanskrit and English. His only weakness is a tendency to be a little anachronistic with later theology being used to interpret the text. But I like his translation, even if I don't always agree with his commentary section. I ordered this set in paperback for $250, but they sent it to me in hardback. It is great to read devotionally. If you want to try one volume at a time, there are some other India based sites that appear to offer one at a time.
The Complete Rig Veda - 12 Volumes
The Complete Rig Veda - 12 Volumes
by R.L.Kashyap | Apr 1, 2009
5.0 out of 5 stars 1

Probably the most scholarly translation is South Asia Research. Hardcover is over $400. Paperback is a little over $200. I read this translation in conjunction with Kashyap. Where Kashyap has "ray-cows," this one translates more simply as "cattle" or "cows." Since the etymology of the word stems from sunrays, Kashyap has a point in the way he renders the word. But usage determines meaning, not etymology. So...it is good to read Jamison and Bereton for a scholastic perspective.
The Rigveda: 3-Volume Set (South Asia Research)
The Rigveda: 3-Volume Set (South Asia Research)
by Stephanie W. Jamison and Joel P. Brereton | May 22, 2014
4.2 out of 5 stars 16
Hardcover

JohnMichael

Kava Synchronized
I'd like to get a copy of the Rig Veda, since you're familiar with it, can you find me a good hardcopy to buy online please? I have studied the introductory lessons of Buddhism and Hinduism and it was more than five years ago when I was reading The Four Truths and I realized this reaches out to me more than the majority of literature I've studied on The Bible and similar works. I found something more compatible and in alignment with what my core beliefs are when I read this. Will you help me find the RidVeda @JohnMichael ?
In addition to my post above about hardback editions, you can also buy the South Asia Research set in Kindle format. The Kashyap is only available in print editions. Enjoy!

PS: I did an edition of just Mandala Nine (the Soma mandala) in which I envisioned soma as kava. It's title is "Rig Veda Kava Edition." This is the book:
Rig Veda Kava Edition: Ninth Mandala
Rig Veda Kava Edition: Ninth Mandala