What's new

My boil up

• Thread starter Deactivated Account
  • Start date

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
As an experiment, I think someone should stand up to the plate and try this. :)
I may be remembering this wrong. But, I think while a short boil has been shown to increase kavalactone extraction...a lengthy boil does actually begin to destroy them. I'm not sure though...so I'd also enjoy hearing the results if anyone tries it. I'd do it, but I don't wanna risk wasting kava :bag:

D

Deactivated Account

I may be remembering this wrong. But, I think while a short boil has been shown to increase kavalactone extraction...a lengthy boil does actually begin to destroy them. I'm not sure though...so I'd also enjoy hearing the results if anyone tries it. I'd do it, but I don't wanna risk wasting kava :bag:
Im happy to waste this lot. ok tomorrow ill just give it a short one , 30 sec & see if its different.

Im having a day off today after last night. oi vey it was a big one.

D

Deactivated Account

Shakas do you want me to get the water to a low boil & drop the kava in for 30 secs ...or bring it up to that temp from cold with kava in from the start ?

It should be easy to tell if there is any diff because it's low powered kava...you can better feel an increase in its whump.

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
Shakas do you want me to get the water to a low boil & drop the kava in for 30 secs ...or bring it up to that temp from cold with kava in from the start ?
Right at the moment, I'm kinda of thinking I might watch the water boil while eating the Kava!! :happy:

D

Deactivated Account

Ok. It's not as effective. It was better when I boiled it for several mins.

I did have a thermometer in it & it hovered for 60sec at 95C.

I have no possible way to prove any of this but other than it's what I'm drinking daily & know what to expect from it.

Even with my 5 min boil...it's not exactly boiling but just the occasional bubble. So it's temp is prob around 94-97C

D

Deactivated Account

Ongoing...

So about an hour ago I did a real boil. Had it bubbling quite vigorously for 5 mins & it is def stronger, no question.

Same amount of water...same kava...same pot etc etc.

It's actually made it worth while kava. The one thing I noticed with a heavy boil was much more of that 'silvery film' on the surface. No idea what that is but I did see it.

It also made it quite a good deal thicker..more starches I assume. I just cool it with ice cubes to also add water...also being a kava pig I want in ASAP.

Last edited by a moderator:

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
Ongoing...

So about an hour ago I did a real boil. Had it bubbling quite vigorously for 5 mins & it is def stronger, no question.

Same amount of water...same kava...same pot etc etc.

It's actually made it worth while kava. The one thing I noticed with a heavy boil was much more of that 'silvery film' on the surface. No idea what that is but I did see it.

It also made it quite a good deal thicker..more starches I assume. I just cool it with ice cubes to also add water...also being a kava pig I want in ASAP.
So when you say you used the "same pot" which kind of pot do you smoke? Maui Wowie?

Actually just joking @nemo, I know what you really mean. But seriously, it was awesome you did that (it was like you took one for the team :)), but I have a few questions.

What Kava did you use?
By stronger do you mean more potent or stronger in taste?
Would you prepare it that way again?

Thanks for reporting in.

Gourmet Hawaiian Kava

Kava Expert
Kava Vendor
Hay Nemo, that gloss or the silvery film you mentioned is the kavalactones, it's the good stuff, it is being released from the sells of the kava fibers, that is what you want, it is what the boiling does, it brings out more kavalactones. I boil mine for about 5 min or so, like in the video. Aloha.

Chris

D

Deactivated Account

What Kava did you use?
By stronger do you mean more potent or stronger in taste?
Would you prepare it that way again?

Thanks for reporting in.
More potent…as for the taste, well really im a bit used to it so taste is same but it was def thicker which can be hard to drink. Its more starchy, like over boiling potatoes …they get soupy.

The kava is not one for sale, its a non usable by product made up of an instant kava as its too large to make it through the screen.

Ill have to keep doing it as its the only way i can get it to work properly.

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
More potent…as for the taste, well really im a bit used to it so taste is same but it was def thicker which can be hard to drink. Its more starchy, like over boiling potatoes …they get soupy.
Thanks for the reply. When you say thicker and harder to drink, does that mean you are not straining? Just cooking and drinking? You've got me intrigued.

D

Deactivated Account

Thanks for the reply. When you say thicker and harder to drink, does that mean you are not straining? Just cooking and drinking? You've got me intrigued.
No straining as usual in a stocking as ive done for years. Its just a lot thicker…i do add water (ice cubes) but its thick, soup like.

Last edited by a moderator:

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
No straining in a stocking as ive done for years. Its just a lot thicker…i do add water (ice cubes) but its thick, soup like.
Thanks for the reply.

BTW Plumbing toilets is something I've always wanted to do!! (But just Once) :)

Gourmet Hawaiian Kava

Kava Expert
Kava Vendor
Hi Nemo, I am not sure, I never tried it. If you try it and you take of the oily film and there is none left then you probably got a lot of the kavalactones out but if there is still a oily sheen, that means it is still full of kavalactones, we know that since the kavalactones are not soluble in water then it would stand to reason that the top layer of the water will have the highest concentration of kavalactones, simply because the oil will float to the top. I will try it and see if it works next time I boil, I would say try drinking a cup of the stuff in the pan, not the oil that you skim off, first try what you think might not work, if it works, you know there is still kavalactones, if it does not work then you can enjoy the skimmed off stuff and enjoy. :D
Aloha.

Chris

D

Deleted User01

Sorry folks, drinking Kava is harsh enough, adding slimy to the mix is a turn off (as he gulps down the last of his slimy Kava). I will be doing the rest of mine at 120 degrees. Of course, I didn't waste a drop of the slimy boiled Kava. I mixed it with other Kava to thin it out and in some cases just added a tad of water to it.

D

Deactivated Account

Sorry folks, drinking Kava is harsh enough, adding slimy to the mix is a turn off (as he gulps down the last of his slimy Kava). I will be doing the rest of mine at 120 degrees. Of course, I didn't waste a drop of the slimy boiled Kava. I mixed it with other Kava to thin it out and in some cases just added a tad of water to it.
Yep..it certainly makes your kava manky however I would chase a goanna off a fetid pig carcass if I wanted it bad enough.