What's new

My boil up

• Thread starter Deactivated Account
  • Start date
D

Deactivated Account

So seeing it's next to useless kava, today I tried a full on rolling boil for 5 mins with a few froth ups.

Same everything again. Strength was the same as my earlier gentle boil. Odd thing I noticed was it sort of lost a bit of that starchiness.

Taste didn't change but I'm a firm believer this brew would put lesions in porcelain.

image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deactivated Account

So the experiment goes on. Today I just tipped my useless kava into a jug & let it sit in water for an hour...then hit it with the Barmix on high for 5 mins before the gentle 5 min boil.

It certainly worked better.

Tomorrow I'm going to put it under a small pyramid I've constructed & recite Quoth the Raven to it prior to boiling.

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
Today I just tipped my useless kava into a jug & let it sit in water for an hour..
@nemo After it sat in the jug with water, did you notice any oils floating on top of the water?

I'm experimenting with cold water fusion now and my next experiment is to mix the Kava with water then blend for 5 min. (to agitate the Kava) and then put it in a french press, then let it sit for a day (to let the kava settle to the bottom), then use the french press plunger to separate the water (hopefully with Kava oils) on top from the Kava settled at the bottom. Then pour and drink.

I've tried a french press in the past to squeeze and strain the water out of the kava, and that absolutely doesn't work because the plunger screen is too fine. So what I'm trying with this experiment is a little different.

D

Deactivated Account

The really good news is that I was talking to someone yesterday & kava was mentioned. He said 'I've got a kilo of that smelly crap in the fridge...been there for years, want it ?'

Want it I say ??

Is a frogs arse water tight ?

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
...Is a frogs arse water tight ?
@nemo Out of curiosity what was your friends reply? We asked someone we met at a bar last week that same exact question (but with the other "a--" word instead of arse). He google researched it for 1/2 hour on his smart phone before he answered us. It was hilarious.

KavaLot

Kava Enthusiast
I've boiled a few times and I can't say the increased bitterness that usually results is worth any benefits. I prefer to take it just to the brink of boiling (heavy steam), stirring all the while, and then remove and cool before filtering in nylon bag. I'm sure it increases potency based on the effects I feel. I also notice more settlement on the bottom when stored in the fridge.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

D

Deactivated Account

Here's my score ! Quickly tried a small amount in a 30 second wash & it's absolutely brilliant. Great to get a strong kava again.

Been in a fridge for approx 18 months.

Must be all that methy bromide.

image.jpg

Gourmet Hawaiian Kava

Kava Expert
Kava Vendor
There is nothing like methy bromide flavored kava. :confused: Yes they found a way to make kava taste bad. :wtf: I really hate that stuff but there is no way around it with some suppliers.
I just posted some Papa Ele ele on my website, it is a medium grind kava and it is a good fresh and potent kava, with no methy bromide. :D
Aloha to all.

Chris

D

Deactivated Account

I'm going to give it a gentle boil this afternoon & then put it through a high pressure juicer. I've got an Oscar Juicer which really goes to town on stuff so I see what that brings.

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
I'm going to give it a gentle boil this afternoon & then put it through a high pressure juicer. I've got an Oscar Juicer which really goes to town on stuff so I see what that brings.
What do you mean by "high pressure". I looked up Oscar Juicer, but couldn't figure it out. It sounds pretty interesting though, can't wait for your results.

D

Deactivated Account

Nup Oscar. They are a very low speed juicer that works on pressure not blending.

If you put an apple or carrot through the waste is like cardboard. No fluid left in something once it's got hold if it. No idea re kava but it's an experiment & it's the same low grunt kava I've been messing with boiling so if there is a diff then I will certainly pick up on it.

image.jpg

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
Nup Oscar. They are a very low speed juicer that works on pressure not blending.

If you put an apple or carrot through the waste is like cardboard. No fluid left in something once it's got hold if it. No idea re kava but it's an experiment & it's the same low grunt kava I've been messing with boiling so if there is a diff then I will certainly pick up on it.

View attachment 336
Love your sense of adventure. A true outback!! GoodOnYa!!!

D

Deactivated Account

You're right. I see their official website now and they also have juicers on Amazon.
The main one that operates in the same fashion & sells big in the US is called Hippocrates.

They are very expensive as juicers go but they squeeze & push like the tax office.