What's new

Kava Preparation My Current Prep Method

KavaKitty

Meaow
So, being an awa virgin (mostly), I've been trying different prep methods to see what works best. The one I tried this morning is my favorite so far, and it's a combination of a few. Here's what I did:

Took 3 cups of coconut water and 4 tbsp. of Cactus Kava 'ono (thanks, @Kimmer ). Poured about half a cup of the water into a large, stainless steel pot, then added the awa. Stirred it up with a fork, turned the heat on medium high. Stirred constantly with the fork, until the mixture developed a sheen and began to thicken. Once it came to a VERY low boil, I turned off the heat, removed the pot from the burner, and stirred in the remaining coconut water. I then poured the mixture into the blender and mixed on the "grate" setting for two 1-minute intervals. Poured the resulting mixture into my strainer (currently using an old white T-shirt but I'm buying stockings today). Squeezed the bejeezus out of the pulp into my bowl. Put grog in fridge, let it chill for one hour. Drink. Profit.

I'm pretty blissed out right now on three 4-oz. shells. There's not really anything left for a second wash, but it's really not necessary.

Anyway, that's what I'm gonna be doing for now. Just thought I'd share, the results are fairly potent. ::happyshell::

CactusKava

Phoenix, AZ
Kava Vendor
So, being an awa virgin (mostly), I've been trying different prep methods to see what works best. The one I tried this morning is my favorite so far, and it's a combination of a few. Here's what I did:

Took 3 cups of coconut water and 4 tbsp. of Cactus Kava 'ono (thanks, @Kimmer ). Poured about half a cup of the water into a large, stainless steel pot, then added the awa. Stirred it up with a fork, turned the heat on medium high. Stirred constantly with the fork, until the mixture developed a sheen and began to thicken. Once it came to a VERY low boil, I turned off the heat, removed the pot from the burner, and stirred in the remaining coconut water. I then poured the mixture into the blender and mixed on the "grate" setting for two 1-minute intervals. Poured the resulting mixture into my strainer (currently using an old white T-shirt but I'm buying stockings today). Squeezed the bejeezus out of the pulp into my bowl. Put grog in fridge, let it chill for one hour. Drink. Profit.

I'm pretty blissed out right now on three 4-oz. shells. There's not really anything left for a second wash, but it's really not necessary.

Anyway, that's what I'm gonna be doing for now. Just thought I'd share, the results are fairly potent. ::happyshell::
If you didn't get one of my strainers, shoot me a PM. I contend they're the best on the market and will serve your purposes quite well :)

I'm glad you're enjoying the root! Everyone has their own favorite way of preparation, and sometimes it takes a while to get the hang of it. Reach out if you ever have questions!

KavaKitty

Meaow
If you didn't get one of my strainers, shoot me a PM. I contend they're the best on the market and will serve your purposes quite well :)

I'm glad you're enjoying the root! Everyone has their own favorite way of preparation, and sometimes it takes a while to get the hang of it. Reach out if you ever have questions!
Oh, no, Kimmer sent me some to get me through a seriously bad time when I couldn't afford to order any root and I was totally out. I'm going to order some, though, I really like the 'ono's effects. The strainer bags come with your order, correct? Can I just buy one on its own?

CactusKava

Phoenix, AZ
Kava Vendor
Oh, no, Kimmer sent me some to get me through a seriously bad time when I couldn't afford to order any root and I was totally out. I'm going to order some, though, I really like the 'ono's effects. The strainer bags come with your order, correct? Can I just buy one on its own?
Each order does come with a free strainer, and you could buy one on your own. Check your inbox, I just sent you a PM.

verticity

I'm interested in things

I have about 500 of Cactus's strainers if you need some extras lol

KavaKitty

Meaow
Each order does come with a free strainer, and you could buy one on your own. Check your inbox, I just sent you a PM.
I did, and replied, thanks man.
I have about 500 of Cactus's strainers if you need some extras lol
Hahaha, I'm excitedly awaiting mine. Meanwhile, a word of advice: If you're gonna cut up a shirt, make sure it hasn't been washed with Gain Flings Apple Mango Tango detergent, scent booster and liquid fabric softener, then dried with said scented dryer sheets. Because your grog's taste will suffer mightily. That is all, carry on. [emoji192]