What's new

Kava Culture Nakamal "clampdown"

kastom_lif

Kava Lover
All sounds a bit bizarre. Before you know it you'll have to wear shoes.
Hemia oli kastom klos blo waetman nomo.

"Every day mi ronem drae leg, increase the speed, increase the mileage."

Afta, bae mi mekem "G11 Redimed (TM)". Spos yu we yu wandem Uber Eats olsem, yu save ringim G11 Redimed. Wan boe i kamtru karem redimed lo yufela kwiktaem finis.

Last edited:

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
"The by-law further prevents the person who sells kava from smoking and spitting close to where kava is sold."

The first thing I thought before reading the article was; if they ban spitting, it will hardly feel like a real nakamal anymore... But I see a specific wording in this line from the article which says only the seller can't spit. Nice compromise,...they knew. :smuggrin:
tanna-spit.gif

Last edited:

nabanga

Kava Enthusiast
"The by-law further prevents the person who sells kava from smoking and spitting close to where kava is sold."

The first thing I thought before reading the article was; if they ban spitting, it will hardly feel like a real nakamal anymore... But I see a specific wording in this line from the article which says only the seller can't spit. Nice compromise,...they knew. :smuggrin:
A few places have designated spit troughs like long urinals. They dont work so well though, as if a truck load of guys stops in on their way home from work for a shell and you get them all lined up at the same time, everyone gets covered in each others spit.
Heres one from last year, with some cool lighting..

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
A few places have designated spit troughs like long urinals. They dont work so well though, as if a truck load of guys stops in on their way home from work for a shell and you get them all lined up at the same time, everyone gets covered in each others spit.

Can you imagine any other place on earth that would proudly and decoratively illuminate a 'spit trough'? ::awesomesmiles:: :love:

kastom_lif

Kava Lover

That's solar/battery powered LED lighting. Who says Vanuatu isn't developing? Lighting the spit trough is important to ensure good hygiene. If it were dark somebody might spit on the ground.

INeedToChill

Stay Golden, Ponyboy
That's solar/battery powered LED lighting. Who says Vanuatu isn't developing? Lighting the spit trough is important to ensure good hygiene. If it were dark somebody might spit on the ground.
I am so sorry to reply to this thread that's been warm and snoozing, but could you explain what the relevance of the spitting is? Why are they spitting? I definitely don't spit my kava out... Am I doing it wrong?? :wtf:

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
I am so sorry to reply to this thread that's been warm and snoozing, but could you explain what the relevance of the spitting is? Why are they spitting? I definitely don't spit my kava out... Am I doing it wrong?? :wtf:
That's a thank you to the kava gods, they get their share of every shell.

Alia

'Awa Grower/Collector
In Hawai'i some folks toss a few drops over their shoulder before drinking the 1st shell.
My own personnal offer to the "Gods" is to propagate, malama, and give out as many 'awa plants
as possible to keep the species going. Which makes more sense to me in any case.

INeedToChill

Stay Golden, Ponyboy
In Hawai'i some folks toss a few drops over their shoulder before drinking the 1st shell.
My own personnal offer to the "Gods" is to propagate, malama, and give out as many 'awa plants
as possible to keep the species going. Which makes more sense to me in any case.
I love learning these little interesting facts about Kava culture and history! Makes me appreciate our lovely little root even more. I have actually never tried Hawaiian cultivars... Could you maybe explain how the effects differ from other area's Kavas? Thank you so much!!

Alia

'Awa Grower/Collector
I love learning these little interesting facts about Kava culture and history! Makes me appreciate our lovely little root even more. I have actually never tried Hawaiian cultivars... Could you maybe explain how the effects differ from other area's Kavas? Thank you so much!!
There are a lot of fascinating facts and stories about Hawaiian 'Awa in- Hawaiian 'Awa, Views of an Ethnobotanical Treasure. If you google that name a link should appear to see book on-line. The Hawai'i cultivars all have kavain as #1 in chemotype. There are varying thoughts on specific effects.

Zaphod

Kava Lover
My opinion, is that Hawaiian cultivars tend to be more heady, with the kavain being front and center of the experience. Very light and euphoric, happy vibes, chill - but not sedating. Usually good daytime kavas. Even the ones that tend to be a little heavier for me like Hanakapi'ai and Papa Kea are no where near as heavy as some strong heavy Vanuatu or Fijian. Obviously YMMV....

INeedToChill

Stay Golden, Ponyboy
My opinion, is that Hawaiian cultivars tend to be more heady, with the kavain being front and center of the experience. Very light and euphoric, happy vibes, chill - but not sedating. Usually good daytime kavas. Even the ones that tend to be a little heavier for me like Hanakapi'ai and Papa Kea are no where near as heavy as some strong heavy Vanuatu or Fijian. Obviously YMMV....
Thank you for telling me this. I'm probably going to start drinking Kava exclusively for sleep, so I need that kind of info! Thanks again!

Ultra Sunrise

Kava Curious
Thank you for telling me this. I'm probably going to start drinking Kava exclusively for sleep, so I need that kind of info! Thanks again!
I am a big lover of Hawaiian Kava. With maybe the exception of GHK's Moi, all have helped me say goodnight with no problem. You want to make sure you give yourself about two hours though for the sleepiness to kick in.

Zaphod

Kava Lover
No problem. I am finding Kava Times Ambae to be pretty effective right now at knocking me out cold. It is a little slow to let go in the morning and I definitely still have cobwebs - but nothing a bit of activity and coffee doesn't bust through.