What's new

Nausea from heady kava?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chandra

Kava Enthusiast
I have never had issues with kava making me nauseous before. I started drinking Moi, and I love it. The only problem is it seems to make me nauseous every time I drink it. What do I do? Why do other kavas not affect me this way? Is it the kava, or simply my stress level at the moment?

Capitán Bastos

Presanteur
Are you drinking it fast? That sometimes can make you feel sick.
I think that's what happened to me tudei. I got a reaction I haven't had to lavatories before. I drank it fast about 1,5tbs of micro in milk. I got a lingering nausea and a sense of having a very empty stomach, yet no appetite. Water made it worse. Mineral water even more so. I grew up with flat Coke as the cure for car sickness and the like, but the grocery shop was closed, I had a slice of lemon at work and now I'm good.

chandra

Kava Enthusiast
I'll have to try the lemon juice. I did make a pretty strong batch, but I drank maybe half of it so it wasn't a really big amount. I was really tired this morning, and I had taken a few energy pills (mostly b vitamins and caffeine in them), and I wonder if that contributed to it. I ended up mixing some ginger powder in some sprite. Wasn't the best taste in the world, but it did eventually calm my stomach down.

Capitán Bastos

Presanteur
I'll have to try the lemon juice. I did make a pretty strong batch, but I drank maybe half of it so it wasn't a really big amount. I was really tired this morning, and I had taken a few energy pills (mostly b vitamins and caffeine in them), and I wonder if that contributed to it. I ended up mixing some ginger powder in some sprite. Wasn't the best taste in the world, but it did eventually calm my stomach down.
Kava definitely interacts with caffeine.
I had more stomach issues and nausea back when I was drinking coffee, red bull and the like. Have you tried Yerba mate?

chandra

Kava Enthusiast
I've tried Yerba Mate, but not the good kind. I got the stuff from the grocery store which did have a very mild stimulant effect. I'd try the good stuff, but I have a limited budget, so I stick to kava. I try to avoid large amounts of caffeine, but I was desperate for some energy this morning. My stomach has hurt me all day, and I'm sure that's because of the energy pills.

KrunkMunster

Kava Enthusiast
I have never had issues with kava making me nauseous before. I started drinking Moi, and I love it. The only problem is it seems to make me nauseous every time I drink it. What do I do? Why do other kavas not affect me this way? Is it the kava, or simply my stress level at the moment?
Ginger really helps me if I feel a little nauseous. I don't keep ginger ale around the house, so I just take some powered ginger and mix it with some fruit juice. Usually get's the nausea under control for me.

KrunkMunster

Kava Enthusiast
Excellent. Kava and caffeine interact much worse than Kava and alcohol.
To my great surprise, this is very true. I love coffee and used to drink it all the time. I don't know how to explain it, but if I drink coffee during or after a kava session, I feel flat weird.

SelfBiasResistor

Persist for Resistance!
Moi causes more nausea for me than any other type. I drink it in very small amounts and infrequently because of this.

chandra

Kava Enthusiast
Moi causes more nausea for me than any other type. I drink it in very small amounts and infrequently because of this.
I've noticed some nausea with Moi even without the caffeine. I think I'll try having some ginger before I drink it and see if that prevents the nausea

kavamehameha

Magnum's 'awa drinking bird
Thumbs up for the ginger ale! I always have several bottles of it at home. Pure self-made ginger drink is also fine. But my usual additional beverage when drinking kava is ginger ale. It helps a lot with nausea.

Kojo Douglas

The Kavasseur
To my great surprise, this is very true. I love coffee and used to drink it all the time. I don't know how to explain it, but if I drink coffee during or after a kava session, I feel flat weird.
Yep. I think kavalactones and caffeine kind of make a speed ball of sorts. I get ridiculously anxious when I mix the two. It makes me frantic.

chandra

Kava Enthusiast
Coffee and kava don't bother me. When I mix kava with caffeine pills I feel really weird though. I learned pretty quickly that's not a good idea.

SelfBiasResistor

Persist for Resistance!
Kava does inhibit the liver enzyme that breaks down caffeine... Some people have reported it to be an enjoyable combination, though.

chandra

Kava Enthusiast
It seems my issue with the Moi isn't just the caffeine, though. I get nausea every time I drink it if I don't have something on my stomach. If I have a light snack beforehand, it doesn't bother me much. I do love the feeling Moi gives me, though.

Tfin

Kava Enthusiast
I've tried Yerba Mate, but not the good kind. I got the stuff from the grocery store which did have a very mild stimulant effect. I'd try the good stuff, but I have a limited budget, so I stick to kava. I try to avoid large amounts of caffeine, but I was desperate for some energy this morning. My stomach has hurt me all day, and I'm sure that's because of the energy pills.
I ordered 1 pound of Guayaki loose leaf Yerba Mate from Amazon last week and am loving it!

Interestingly enough it was only $11 something then and seems to be $15.27 now. Still pretty cheap for a pound. So much better than coffee as far as I'm concerned. Again thanks to the recommendations from the fine folks of this forum.

VictoryRider

Kava Enthusiast
I eat a slice of candied ginger (or a slice of real, raw ginger root) after each shell.
Works great, haven't had nausea in ages regardless of kava strain.

chandra

Kava Enthusiast
I love candied ginger. I've started putting some powdered ginger in my kava and making sure my stomach isn't completely empty beforehand. Normally I don't like eating anything several hours before drinking kava (or after kava, but I gotta eat sometime), but it helps keep me from getting sick with this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.