What's new

Nausea.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ligermeat

Warm and Fuzzeh!
Sometimes, I just wanna kick back and enjoy the holy root to the fullest. But I just feel I can't "feel the cosmos" properly when I'm on the verge of puking my guts out. Does anybody have any advice on alleviating the kava nausea? Answers would be greatly appreciated.

Much love, Ligermeat.

TheKavaSociety

New Zealand
Kava Vendor
1. Strain your (noble) kava properly or use a fine instant product
2. Use nice, juicy fruits as chasers in between shells. I recommend sweet plums, nectarines and grapes.
3. Drink some hot kawakawa or horopito tea. If you cannot get these herbs, drink some hot peppermint tea with a bit of ginger. Or just strong ginger tea.

Ligermeat

Warm and Fuzzeh!
1. Strain your (noble) kava properly or use a fine instant product
2. Use nice, juicy fruits as chasers in between shells. I recommend sweet plums, nectarines and grapes.
3. Drink some hot kawakawa or horopito tea. If you cannot get these herbs, drink some hot peppermint tea with a bit of ginger. Or just strong ginger tea.
About the peppermint. I've used it before for nausea, and it is quite effective. But wouldn't drinking more liquid just cause more bloating?

TheKavaSociety

New Zealand
Kava Vendor
You don't need buckets full of tea, just one strong cup. If you can get peppermint with horopito then it's also great.

One more tip: don't use too much water when you make your kava. I recommend using just 500ml per half a cup of root.

F3TU5

Kava Enthusiast
can always try double straining, first with a cloth and then the one that cactus kava sells. My stomach couldn't really handle it at first. But now I can do one strain and be good.

Ligermeat

Warm and Fuzzeh!
You don't need buckets full of tea, just one strong cup. If you can get peppermint with horopito then it's also great.

One more tip: don't use too much water when you make your kava. I recommend using just 500ml per half a cup of root.
Thanks for the helpful advice, Harry. I appreciate it :happy:.

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
Peppermint tea helps expel air trapped in your system so although you are putting in more liquid it does tend to help the situation.

verticity

I'm interested in things
Yeah, for avoiding nausea:
- Use a fine strainer
- Space your shells
- Use less root per shell
- Eat small snacks between shells
- Drink water
- If I feel like gagging and having dry heaves, it helps just to sit back in a reclined position for some reason.

For my first time, I tried @Gourmet Hawaiian Kava micro Mahakea last night and had the same issue. I definitely felt good for about 20 minutes, then the nausea set in and I just wanted to lie down. I did eventually end up involuntarily throwing it up.....ever had a numb nose? It's freaky! I'm thinking maybe the Mahakea was too strong for my first time?
Anyway, I'm trying @Bula Kava House instant tonight, starting very slow though. I'm excited I don't have to deal with the resistance tolerance issue, but man, just the smell of Kava today almost made me gag. Kinda like smelling tequila the next day, after a night of barfing it up.

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
@Louie1957 for me personally, micronized is much more likely to cause nausea. Instant should not have this issue. You may want to try traditional prep, reducing the amount, drinking it more slowly, or taking an antiemetic such as ginger along with it.

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
Sometimes, I just wanna kick back and enjoy the holy root to the fullest. But I just feel I can't "feel the cosmos" properly when I'm on the verge of puking my guts out. Does anybody have any advice on alleviating the kava nausea? Answers would be greatly appreciated.

Much love, Ligermeat.
I like to chase the kava (on those days I feel Nauseous) with unfiltered ginger ale, works really well and settles my stomach

Status
Not open for further replies.