What's new

Powdered Kava Review Nene - Medium Grind

Steve Mariotti

Kavapithecus Krunkarensis
Review Maestro
I came back around to Nene tonight after working my way through all of the six varieties in my current supply. I'd heard it's a great night time before-bed kava and I was already a little knackered from being up late the night before and having a good hard workout at the gym doing cardio and weights. Seemed like a good time to apply the Nene and see what it brought to the table.

The Nene is a very light color, and the brew was a light tan and not as dark as other varieties. Less like chocolate milk and more like black tea with a little milk in it.

The taste was interesting. Definitely a stronger flavor than the M'oi, Mahakea or Hanakapi'ai. Reminded me a little of the Fijian I have, though tastier. The first taste to hit is even and smooth and pleasant, and it's followed by a bitter bite that hits on the tongue. The aftertaste is a little sour, not like a spoiled kind of sour but a lingering light sourness like a sliver of lemon in a glass of ice water.

At 40 minutes the effect is pronounced. Neither especially heady nor sedating. Though I do feel as if I'm blinking a little more slowly now. I find the motion of rocking back and forth in my chair slowly as I type this to be soothing. I'm sighing a little, but not much. Mo'i hits a little stronger and gives me a lift at first, and this is more subdued. My body feels loose, like all the tendons have relaxed a little giving me a little disconnection in my joints and making me a bit rubbery from the neck all the way down. Tightness that I usually carry in my neck from stress has melted away, and my slight case of tennis elbow from computer work has receded completely while I sit and type. Turning my head to the right for the "head check" motion usually comes with a little pain from tension buildup, but now I feel a liquid quality when I swivel my head around. The Ulrich Schnauss tracks I'm listening to are making me feel calm and happy.

I'm at an hour as I write this, and three shells in. I feel placid. Neither giddy nor droopy, like I'm on water that's lightly rippling in the wind at dusk---warmed from inside as if I'd been in the sun today and now the night is coming in and cooling the air while I radiate heat from my skin. More gentle sighs. I'm lucid but relaxed.

Tonight, this was the perfect transition from a busy workday followed by a hard workout. I'm going to eat a banana and some tangerines and drift off to bed in the next hour. Perfection.

chasemandingo

Kava Enthusiast
I have to agree about the nene. I did a little over two tablespoons last night and it didn't turn into a krunkfest. However, it was extremely pleasant. Definite relaxation no muscle soreness from the workout. Fell asleep beautifully. Absolutely a new favorite. Will be ordering more and for some reason that beautiful light tan color has me wanting to make a super potent 3 tablespoon milkshake sometime soon. I don't know why but it sounds tasty ::happyshell::.

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
Just reading a few Nene reviews to try to get an idea of dosages and came across this one. @Steve Mariotti this is an awesome review! I'm just on the water that's lightly rippling in the wind at dusk, looking forward to one more shell then a nice peaceful sleep :)