What's new

Newbie - looking for alcohol alternative

Hi everyone,

I had a few beers tonight, and I woke up at about 1am with heart palpitations. This happens pretty much every time I drink alcohol these days, and nothing I've tried helps. I know that it's a fairly common problem that people have. So I'm lying here at 2:30am in the morning, researching alternatives to alcohol!

I have some mild social anxiety, which means that I generally have much more fun after a few alcoholic drinks than I would without them. I'm hoping that kava might be something I can take before social occasions, just to take the edge off the anxiety.

From what I've read, I'm leaning towards the extract. I understand they might not be as potent as the powder/tea, but the convenience of the extract would be huge for me. I would be using it occasionally, something like once a week.

Anyway, that's my rationale for trying kava. But I have a few questions first, which I'm hoping someone can help me with. I've had a quick search through the forum and haven't found answers.

1. Can I take kava extract and still drink a glass of wine? I read that mixing kava and alcohol is not usually a good idea, but does that apply to the extract?
  2. Can I take kava extract and still drink matcha? I love the mixture of focus and calm that matcha gives me.
  3. How are the Gaia extracts? That would probably be the most convenient formulation for me, and I know Gaia is a very reputable company.

Thanks in advance for any tips!
VI

Last edited:

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Welcome @VanIslander glad to have you with us.

1.) Any precautions we take applies to the entire range of kava products. In the same way we caution against consumption of alcohol and prepared kava, it also applies to extracts as well.

2.) Absolutely. While it's not matcha, we have an entire separate forum dedicated to the consumption of mate, and many do drink kava at night, and mate during the day. This could easily translate over into Matcha if you prefer. Camellia Sinensis (Tea) is fine in any of it's forms when also being a daily kava consumer.

3.) Gaia phytocaps are actually really good. Expense comes into play with this one pretty quick, though.
  • 1 lb of Borongoru from Kalm With Kava at 10% kl content contains about 45 grams of kavalactones give or take. Cost = $49.00 plus shipping
  • 1 Bottle of gaia herbs 60 count phytocaps contains 4.5 grams of kavalactones cost = $20.00 online.
Thanks for joining us. There are quite a few people here who have found kava to replace their drinking habits entirely, so you're among friends here.

@Kapmcrunk Thanks for the reply, I'm looking forward to trying it out!

I just looked at the Gaia product and I'm a little confused. The capsules have, as you say, 4.5g of kavalactones in the bottle.

I also looked at the Gaia 'extra strength' liquid extract (the one with the dropper). This seems to have 2.25g per bottle, but it's more expensive than the capsules.

If this is the case, why would anyone buy the liquid extract? Why not just buy the capsules as they seem far better value?

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
@Kapmcrunk Thanks for the reply, I'm looking forward to trying it out!

I just looked at the Gaia product and I'm a little confused. The capsules have, as you say, 4.5g of kavalactones in the bottle.

I also looked at the Gaia 'extra strength' liquid extract (the one with the dropper). This seems to have 2.25g per bottle, but it's more expensive than the capsules.

If this is the case, why would anyone buy the liquid extract? Why not just buy the capsules as they seem far better value?
I would steer clear of the Gaia caps simply because you'll need to take 8-12 to get any sort of noticeable effect from it. I think if convenience is what you are after, try an instant or Micro. With kava the more convenient (usually) the more expensive it gets, for instance;

You could get just under 1/2 lbs of instant Mahakea from GHK for $90, but you can get the same kava in medium grind for $29. If $$ is not an issue, the instant is a great option but otherwise get the medium grind and an Aluball and it will cost you around fifty bucks.

I am using GHK as an example, there are many other great kavas to try.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
I like to drink maté during the day and have for a long time but I find that combo, maté in daytime, kava at night, works really well because kava is dehydrating and maté is very hydrating. They seem to complement each other well that way.

I make my maté in a coffee maker. 6 heaping spoons of maté and 4 cups of water, but the key for me is after the water goes through once and take about two thirds of the tea and pour it back through the filter again, which drastically improves it compared to a single pass through. I have it with a little sugar and half and half, very tasty. And very hydrating.

D

Deleted User01

I can speak to Kava being the perfect alternative to alcohol. Here is what I know:
1. I sleep much better, more peaceful, and better dreams with kava. Alcohol gives me fitful sleep and unpleasant dreams. Kava leaves me refreshed in the morning.
2. I get more angry under the influence of alcohol and meaner. With kava, everything is good in the world and I just put the world on Mute if I don't like it.
3. Since doing kava, my tolerance for alcohol is way down. You will probably have alcohol days where you do that instead of kava. Just take smaller servings and be on the alert.
4. One time, I did do a light beer after Kava because I was very, very thirsty. I have never mixed them again. There is absolutely no reason to ruin a good kava buzz with alcohol. It's counterintuitive.
5. This is the second time today I hear the word Heart Palpitations. The people I know who have them end up taking medication. If they don't go away, see a doctor.

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
I like to drink maté during the day and have for a long time but I find that combo, maté in daytime, kava at night, works really well because kava is dehydrating and maté is very hydrating. They seem to complement each other well that way.

I make my maté in a coffee maker. 6 heaping spoons of maté and 4 cups of water, but the key for me is after the water goes through once and take about two thirds of the tea and pour it back through the filter again, which drastically improves it compared to a single pass through. I have it with a little sugar and half and half, very tasty. And very hydrating.
I find mate dehydrating, maybe I mix it stronger or something? If I drink both continually then I get really dry, need a break from the mate every now and then because there's no way I'm taking a break from the kava!!!