What's new

Niacin, an aid at preventing dermopathy?

BourbonMac

I like herbs
Sorry if this is the wrong place to post this, it seemed correct but a lot of my stuff gets moved.

So every evening I take niacin, pretty high doses, for chronic ringing in the ears. It helps really well in general (why, I'm not sure). Anyway, niacin causes your body to "flush" and you get all red and itchy. The first time it happens can be a bit scary, but I've come to love it, because that's how I know it's gonna do its job. If I take niacin with food I neither flush or get tinnitus relief.

I've been using kava for a lot longer than I was last year. 2 months in about I started to get dermopathy. I'm almost 4 months in and while I have had occasional itchiness while I'm krunk, I don't always, like now. This is more common if you use micronized unstrained which I often do but sometimes just prefer to strain it as it constipates me unstrained (TMI, sorry). It's the other way around strained especially with medium grind.

Anyway, I thought maybe because of the niacin flush, it's somehow kept my skin healthier, or something. It did clear up a bunch of closed come domes on my forehead after I wore a really old hat that hadn't been washed in forever to a party last September when it was 95 degrees out.

We only need 35mg of niacin a day, this won't cause a flush. The first time I had a major flush I'd taken 300mg, but nowadays I take more like 600-900 depending on how bad the tinnitus is. Some people get a tolerance to the flush but I never have. Sometimes I won't flush until after eating a meal, it's a bit random, just like kava can be. But yeah, the fact I haven't gotten dermopathy yet with all the unstrained micro I've used makes me think this could actually be stopping it from developing. It's at least known to help keep you healthy and skin in particular is documented.

Just don't get niacinamide. This is some delayed release version that has been noted to cause liver problems in some people. The no flush niacin is also pointless. I mean you're still getting your B3 but not as much.

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
Sorry if this is the wrong place to post this, it seemed correct but a lot of my stuff gets moved.
If you start paying attention to where you post these obvious topics, I wouldn't have to.

The general rule of thumb for you or anyone else is. There is a topic sub folder for almost all frequently discussed topics. If you look around and don't see it. post it on the kava lounge and I will move it.

BourbonMac

I like herbs
Wow no shit. I wasn't taking niacin last year and got maybe 25% of it in my diet, it's not in most multivitamins. That makes a lot of sense but I think this was truly why I've avoided it, I just thought there was a chance.

Edit: Just saw the whole "not responsible" but I'm guessing it must've been for me. The flushes probably keep my skin from drying out more or something

Last edited:

BourbonMac

I like herbs
If you start paying attention to where you post these obvious topics, I wouldn't have to.

The general rule of thumb for you or anyone else is. There is a topic sub folder for almost all frequently discussed topics. If you look around and don't see it. post it on the kava lounge and I will move it.
difficult thing when you have rampant ADHD, but I'll do my best. Something can be right in front of me and I won't see it, I've not always been great with forums in this way