What's new

Noble kava causing anxiety during reverse tolerance

Sunny

First, I would like to thank everyone for their contributions to this forum. It's been very helpful for someone like me who is new to the kava experience. I'm more than six weeks in and have decided to seek advice because I'm not only still in RT but unfortunately kava seems to be increasing my anxiety!

I started with Gaia Herbs kava capsules (I know, I know...) and went through 3 bottles. I know this is primarily a forum for fans of the drink, but I would be quite happy to take capsules if it helped with anxiety in the way research has suggested, and Gaia Herbs is reputable and contains kavalactones at the researched levels. Initially I followed their dosing instructions (up to 3 capsules per day in-between meals) but ended up trying up to 12 capsules just to push through the RT. About halfway through I noticed my anxiety was higher than normal so I took a break, felt better, and started again only to have the heightened anxiety come back.

Three weeks ago I switched to drinking KWK's micronized powders and I'm 1lb in and having the same issue with heightened anxiety. I was drinking 2-3 teaspoons on an empty stomach up to 3 times each day (I tried 4 teaspoons a few times, thinking it would help push through the RT, but had quite bad nausea so ditched that approach). However, once again my anxiety increased noticeably so I stopped yesterday and now feel... calm.

Logically, I know that Kava isn't going to be suitable for everyone, but I thought it might be worth checking with forum members for advice before giving up. Has anyone else had a similar experience to this and/or have suggestions on how (or whether at all) to proceed?

kastom_lif

Kava Lover
Teaspoons? I had eight TABLESPOONS just tonight.

I don't mean to be harsh, but IMHO reverse tolerance is a myth. Learn to prepare kava properly and then drink a lot of it.

Micro powders tend to have a reputation for being harder on the stomach. Get a bucket, a nut milk bag, and some medium grind.

D

Deleted User01

Are you specifically having problems only with Noble Kavas? :rolleyes: You didn't mention the strain you purchased. If it is heady, try the heavier types. If it was heavy, try the headier types. If none of them work, then try Tudei (just kidding). if that doesn't work, it's 3 strikes and you are out. I love micronized kava but as mentioned above, some people do have problems with it. For me, it 's part of my high fiber diet. So switch to powder with a good strainer as kastom suggested.
P.S. I have heard of some people experiencing anxiety with Kava. It's rare but it happens. Some people's chemotypes are different than others. So if that is the case, kava may not be for you. If so, I will give you my address so you can send that left over micronized for me to investigate (and ingesticate). :D

Zac Imiola (Herbalist)

Kava Connoisseur
What J man said ^
Tell us what strain .. if it was pouni then anxiety makes sense In my experience. I have friends who I gave heady kava to for the first time and they did not have fun..
They now love the kava candies and eat them all the time ..
Find what works for you experiment and be sure to tell us the strain so we can help more

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
I was going to mention the strain but two experts have already posted above... heady kava can have undesirable effects for me.

Sunny

Thank you for your tips thus far...
It's hard to pin it to a strain only because I've been having different ones throughout the day. Generally Loa Waka first thing in the morning, Borogu midday and Vula Waka or Boronguru late afternoon (so balanced to heavy). Given all your feedback I'll change my approach and just take one type until I can narrow it down by strain. If I'm still having the same issue after I finish the micro I'll try a bucket of the medium grind.

kastom_lif

Kava Lover
I was going to mention the strain but two experts have already posted above... heady kava can have undesirable effects for me.
Some heady strains give me a "body load" feeling, to borrow a term from erowid, Shulgin, et. al. Very few will do it. It's different than regular anxiety and hard to describe. Usually only lasts for the first 2 shells and then the heavy KL's
cancel it out.

Fu'u used to make me feel that way. Had a few extracts
that did it, though it could have been other stuff in the extract.

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
Some heady strains give me a "body load" feeling, to borrow a term from erowid, Shulgin, et. al. Very few will do it. It's different than regular anxiety and hard to describe. Usually only lasts for the first 2 shells and then the heavy KL's
cancel it out.

Fu'u used to make me feel that way. Had a few extracts
that did it, though it could have been other stuff in the extract.
I mostly get a big buzzy high and then a crash almost like a speed or mdma comedown... or so I hear lol...