What's new

Numbawan Authenticity

Status
Not open for further replies.

skippykava

Kava Curious
@Judd Rench I have a concern of Numbawan authenticity. I bought my first order to sample Numbawan and it was good. I then made a large order of Numbawan and found it to be totally different than the first order.

The color of the first order was good. It had a noticeable yellow to the root and when made into drink it produced a nice yellow batch with good effects. When I obtained the second order it was not noticeably yellow and when made into a drink it did not have good effects and the water was not yellow, but instead dark brown.

Below is the good first order where you can see the nice yellow color. It also produced kava effects when drank.

Below you can see the second order. It did not have a nice yellow to it and was instead dark brown. It did not produce kava effects when drank.

The difference in color and effects from drinking were night and day.

Last edited:

verticity

I'm interested in things
I drink Nambawan, and it is generally not yellow. It is coffee-with-cream color like any other kava. Skippy did mention he used a 10 micron filter bag, which is incredibly small. It looks likes the kavalactone resin is being squeezed out and nothing else. The small mesh bag may account for the seeming lack of potency.

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
Outside of the lack of yellowish silt in the 2nd pic, it doesn't look much different to me.
These two preps would have to be done identically the same way to really judge...same time, same amount, same method, same strainer.
If I recall correctly, Nambawan is a blend of a few kavas from Vanuatu. Depending on the availability of certain kavas, the blend ratio could change and perhaps result in some batches having more of a yellowish kava in it than the next. You also seem to still be having mild or extremely fickle effects from all kavas you've been trying, so it's hard to judge if one batch is really ineffective or if it's just you're body not being receptive to it.

ta-va

Earth Bound
With respect, I wonder if it's fair to label a new thread with "Kava Product Alert" in Red and mentioning "authenticity" in the title when it doesn't even appear that you've asked the vendor about his thoughts yet? Obviously, the forum owner allows us to post these tags; but, surely, the first port of call should be an email to the company involved to try to get their opinion on the matter?

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
With respect, I wonder if it's fair to label a new thread with "Kava Product Alert" in Red and mentioning "authenticity" in the title when it doesn't even appear that you've asked the vendor about his thoughts yet? Obviously, the forum owner allows us to post these tags; but, surely, the first port of call should be an email to the company involved to try to get their opinion on the matter?
Well I would normally agree, but the vendor is a member here and is able to see and reply to this thread just like you or me. And the OP can remove the tag if he gets satisfaction. Most likely he/she is doing this because they are not getting satisfaction. Just look at the shoutbox posts about GHK to see what I mean.

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
Also I forgot to mention, I know for a fact a fact that this poster has tried to personally contact the vendor about this and is not getting a reply.

skippykava

Kava Curious
I use the same filter for everything. As a customer it is very alarming to me to order the same product and get something that looks very different. If there are things I don't understand then it would still be good to assure the customer.

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
I use the same filter for everything. As a customer it is very alarming to me to order the same product and get something that looks very different. If there are things I don't understand then it would still be good to assure the customer.
And let others know to be cautious before they spend their hard earned money. Thanks skuppy.

TheKavaSociety

New Zealand
Kava Vendor
Well, what did the vendor say when you asked him about it? Perhaps he accidentally sent you a different kava?

verticity

I'm interested in things
@skippykava another thing to consider is maybe your strainer was cleaner for the first batch, and gunked up for the second one. That could easily happen with the small mesh size that you are using. You could try de-gunking by soaking in alcohol or maybe vinegar. Soap and water might not do it.

And am I the only one who is kind of weirded out that the kava is yellow? I have never seen yellow kava.

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
@skippykava another thing to consider is maybe your strainer was cleaner for the first batch, and gunked up for the second one. That could easily happen with the small mesh size that you are using. You could try de-gunking by soaking in alcohol or maybe vinegar. Soap and water might not do it.

And am I the only one who is kind of weirded out that the kava is yellow? I have never seen yellow kava.
I use Numbawan and swear it's indeed yellow.

skippykava

Kava Curious
@verticity The inside of kava is yellow, so I'm not sure why it isn't normally yellow. See these pictures: http://kavaforums.com/forum/threads/what-is-so-special-about-ghk-micronized.4803/

No, I clean out the strainer after each time. I've had over a cup of root with this non-yellow numbawan and barely any effects.

Especially if you look at this. The yellow part is the good stuff and the brown stuff is the makas you are supposed to throw away:

Also, look at this big kava bowl of native preparation:

Status
Not open for further replies.