What's new

Please help...

IloveKava23

Kava Curious
Hello, I've been consuming kava every day for about 8 months- a year. About 5 months ago my skin was turning red on my hands and was getting really dry around my knuckles. I didn't think much of it. 5 months later and it's got bad. I am going to the doctor to see what he thinks but can anyone please tell me if this is dermopathy from heavy kava usage. For the last month i have slowed down usage alot but but have stopped for now because of how bad it is making my hand look (if it is the kava) Thank you for your time friends.

D

Deleted User01

Lay off the kava for at least a week and make sure you are drinking plenty of water. When I was a kid, I used to get the same thing that you describe on my knuckles. They weren't just red though, they looked scaly and cracked. I used to put noxema skin creme on them. I have been fortunate in that Kava doesn't give me dermopathy. But then again, I never needed kava to get it anyway. Go figure ...

p.s Dang, now you got me looking at my knuckles again. Nope they're ok. :D

Zaphod

Kava Lover
Very likely it is the dreaded dermo. When mine got bad a few months ago I laid off the kava for ~3 weeks. It took about 10-15 days before the dermo was completely gone. It may even get worse (mine did) for a few days after stopping.

Travis

Kava Enthusiast
I'm not sure if I ever had dermo. I've been drinking kava daily for around 6 years. My hands are currently lizard like and in the winter they split open between my fingers. I use corn huskers lotion twic a day and it helps a little bit.

D

Deleted User01

There you go, another guy who gets stuff on their hands only. I'm not sure that Kava Dermo just effects the hands. I also remember my knuckle dermo being rampant in the winter. I would be outside all day playing ball or whatever and that seemed to aggravate it.

marksmyspot

Kava Curious
I have found certain kavas cause this extremely dry flaky skin with my. The kavas that have caused it are very large amounts of the micronized even with great vendors like GHK if I use too much, (more than 4 full tablespoons toss and wash in a night). I have had this issue with Kava King Micronized Vanuatu Blend when I used more than a table spoon a night for more than 3 nights in a row. It happens very quickly for me with these types of kavas, especially the kava king, which I use in a pinch if I don't have my GHK or Kalm with kava. This very rarely happens if I drink the medium strain kavas from GHK or Kalm with Kava and stick with 2 aluballs with one second wash in a night.

D

Deleted User01

I only do Micronized myself but have been blessed with no dermo. I think the key here is that @IloveKava23 says the dermo is only on the hands and especially the knuckles. It makes me think it is not caused by Kava but perhaps some kind of problem related only to hands and knuckles. Of course I believe that kava might aggravate any skin condition like that but I'm not sure Kava is the cause of it. As I mentioned earlier, I had bad dermo on my knuckles as a child and related to being outside all day. Maybe aggravated by allergies, dirt, grime, cold weather, etc.

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
I only do Micronized myself but have been blessed with no dermo. I think the key here is that @IloveKava23 says the dermo is only on the hands and especially the knuckles. It makes me think it is not caused by Kava but perhaps some kind of problem related only to hands and knuckles. Of course I believe that kava might aggravate any skin condition like that but I'm not sure Kava is the cause of it. As I mentioned earlier, I had bad dermo on my knuckles as a child and related to being outside all day. Maybe aggravated by allergies, dirt, grime, cold weather, etc.
In Texas?!

D

Deleted User01

When I was a kid, we might have weather in the 40s or 50s but with wind. I think the wind was the cause. But yes, 40s to 50s is cold for us. People from the North laugh at us when we wear winter clothing and its 55 outside. That's swimming pool weather for them. :LOL:

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
When I was a kid, we might have weather in the 40s or 50s but with wind. I think the wind was the cause. But yes, 40s to 50s is cold for us. People from the North laugh at us when we wear winter clothing and its 55 outside. That's swimming pool weather for them. :LOL:
Yes, when I was in Majorca recently you could tell the tourists because they had shorts in what would have been about 65 whereas the locals were still in hats and scarves.

D

Deleted User01

Here is the other side of the coin. It's 100 degrees outside and I'm driving comfortably with the AC on. The Northerner next to me says, "Turn on the AC", I say, it's already on maximum AC and I'm freezing already. They don't to well when it's 100 degrees plus.
But seriously folks, what do you think of the dermo only being on the hands and knuckles? That doesn't sound like the typical Dermo symptoms I hear from the members. Or does it?

Splenda

To help with the dry skin try O'Keeffee's working hands cream

Amazon sell it here in the UK

I can't help on the dermo diagnosis but the cream will help the dryness

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
But seriously folks, what do you think of the dermo only being on the hands and knuckles? That doesn't sound like the typical Dermo symptoms I hear from the members. Or does it?
Since I've been taking coconut oil capsules I only get mild dermo and that tends to be very dry hands which can be controlled with emollient or aqueous cream. If it gets bad my knuckles can crack and be painful. I've noticed since the weather has warmed up that my hands are a bit softer but it comes and goes anyway so that may or may not be related.

Jobeo

Kava Curious
I had this happen to my hands. Are you touching the kava when you strain it? I forget where I read it but the suggestion was to wear rubber gloves when straining. Once I started doing that the problem went away.

IloveKava23

Kava Curious
Lay off the kava for at least a week and make sure you are drinking plenty of water. When I was a kid, I used to get the same thing that you describe on my knuckles. They weren't just red though, they looked scaly and cracked. I used to put noxema skin creme on them. I have been fortunate in that Kava doesn't give me dermopathy. But then again, I never needed kava to get it anyway. Go figure ...

p.s Dang, now you got me looking at my knuckles again. Nope they're ok. :D
See I took a 2 week break from the kava and it looked better but I just couldn't see myself without kava. At this point I'm afraid I'll never be able to take it again :( having to sell.my stash of kava :,(

IloveKava23

Kava Curious
Very likely it is the dreaded dermo. When mine got bad a few months ago I laid off the kava for ~3 weeks. It took about 10-15 days before the dermo was completely gone. It may even get worse (mine did) for a few days after stopping.
I hope it goes away and stays away. I really don't want to stop partaking in the kava

nickbroken

Kava Enthusiast
Hello, I've been consuming kava every day for about 8 months- a year. About 5 months ago my skin was turning red on my hands and was getting really dry around my knuckles. I didn't think much of it. 5 months later and it's got bad. I am going to the doctor to see what he thinks but can anyone please tell me if this is dermopathy from heavy kava usage. For the last month i have slowed down usage alot but but have stopped for now because of how bad it is making my hand look (if it is the kava) Thank you for your time friends.
Lotion is also for moisturizing. lay off the kava and drink fluids.