What's new

Questions on Kava and the Soul - Spiritual perspectives of our favorite root

Is Kava Spiritual/Psychedelic in nature, or by intent?

• Yes, it has its own properties of a psychedelic nature.

• Yes, it has psychedelic properties by user intent.

• Yes, it has its own inherent properties AND by user intent.

• No, it does not have these properties.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jellyman64

Δ Kavanaut Δ
Main Idea:
So I have some curiosities surrounding spirituality and Kava, in regards to our minds and souls. I would like to open these questions to all of you, for any kind of interpretation and answer, all is welcome. If you believe in a deity and have a strong view on what the soul is, I would love to hear what you have to say. If you are an atheist and deny the existence of the soul, I also welcome your dialogue. It doesn't matter what you believe or what you practice, I am looking for any kind of answer. I am a big believer in looking at a question from many different points of view, and I believe that you, the reader, can help me!

Questions:
A) Is kava inherently spiritual or psychedelic?
B) How does kava interact with the ego?
C) How is the soul affected by kava?

My Take:
I will preface this by saying I consider myself an open-minded agnostic, in that I think the divine could exist, but I haven't found any compelling evidence that allows me personally to understand it. I also have a rather material view of the universe, that things are comprised of matter and energy. So I do not feel as though the soul is this mystical, etherial wisp, but I also do not deny that the soul exists. I see it more in a metaphorical and psychological sense - that the consciousness, frame of experience, and the sensation of any given person is completely unique and cannot be replicated by anything else. For me this means that someone's brain is a big part of this "soul" which is in between the lines, so to speak. The soul for me is a representation of the sum and sensation of one's given memory, personality, consciousness, and active existence. I have a marriage of psychological concepts and of metaphor as my understanding of the soul.

That being said, let me try to address my curiosities with my own beliefs.

A) Is kava inherently spiritual or psychedelic?
I have seen quite a bit of anecdotal writings on kava being used in spiritual ways, as a way to cleanse bad emotions, or to heal the body. But I haven't heard much about specifically what people believe on how kava has spiritual properties. Is it solely because of the psychoactive constituents, or is it something else? "Pure" kavalactone extracts found by various scrupulous vendors seem to have a very barebones psychoactivity in most cases - and so my idea is that perhaps the full range of constituents needed to induce the mood altering feelings, and thereby the "full" kava experience, aren't simply just kavalactones. The plant Piper Methysticum surely has much more complex and complicated amounts of various compounds, all of which can't yet be fully understood as to how they affect the metabolization and effect of kavalactones. The traditional prep is somewhat of a ritual, and is the best avenue to a full spectrum of the experience.

I also have to wonder how expectation plays into the properties of kava's spiritual nature. If one is to already see it as a mystic root enabling expansion of the mind and soul, then perhaps that belief influences the user's experience. This is basically like the placebo effect, except on an already psychoactive drink, which means that perhaps the effect could be augmented and multiplied by the real chemical effects. Kava is used as tradition in many countries, and that leads me to wonder if it has a reputation which emboldens the idea of it being spiritual. Such tradition would also effect the user's expectation, surely!

Some people have even touted that heavier kavas used in large amounts have a near psychedelic quality, and so again it makes me wonder as to why this would be, when kavalactones from a purely biochemical perspective do not induce hallucinations or any other markers of a psychedelic agent. This is where my idea dips into the spiritual - or maybe a form some would view as pseudo-science. Perhaps the mind itself creates the experience in tandem with kava's psychoactive constituents. Kava is known to speak to people, in many accounts, (such as the phrase "listen to the kava") and so perhaps it interacts with the subconscious in a much deeper, less strictly chemical way. Maybe the more potent effects people feel are a manifestation of the desire to grow and feel well, as in the altered state the unconscious seems to be more readily accessible. This is true for many substances, but many times directly in the mind-altering effects. In kava it seems again to be an emergent property from within the experience of the kava drinker.

While not fully explaining why kava can have these properties, it seems to be a worthwhile idea - in the unconscious one's personality and memories are interacted with differently while the brain is affected by kavalactones. This could cause a number of phenomena which are fully psychosomatic. I wouldn't argue that this is a false experience or that is a trick, because these experiences are as genuine as it gets.

B) How does kava interact with the ego?
This question is more tied to how kava shines a light on the drinker's personality. As we all know, Alcohol which is metabolized similarly to kava (but is infinitely more dangerous and toxic) has ego-boosting effects. They call it "social lubricant" for a reason, and this can be a positive effect for many and a destructive for even more. Since kava is a depressant which acts through the liver and inebriates the user in some fashion (although less in cognition, and more in body) it shouldn't be too much of a stretch to suggest that, like alcohol, kava has some kind of impact on a person's ego. This is where the similarities end, however, because kava is well-known to not induce the stupor and fiery bombasticisms that alcohol does in high quantities. As a tradtitional Hawaiian proverb goes, "The man who drinks kava is still a man, but the man who drinks liquors becomes a beast." It would take an already vindictive and angry person to drink kava and decide to fight a stranger. So while many people say that kava has a social aspect, it doesn't have the volatility of effect on the ego that alcohol does. But with the assumption that it does indeed influence the ego, the bigger question is how?

Going with the previous idea of how spiritual the experience with kava can be, it is tempting to say that kava reduces the drinker's ego. Most psychedelic compounds are believed to dissolve the ego in some fashion, and so if kava truly can allow for an emergent effect on at least a fraction of that depth, then it is reasonable to assume kava does at least slightly reduce it. Another tempting association to make is how the depressant effects in of themselves seem to encourage slowing down and relaxing, so surely the ego is in a lowered state! This could be a compelling association if the much heavier depressant effects of alcohol lowered the ego more - but this simply is not true. So perhaps its nature as a depressant has no bearing on how it interacts with the ego inherently, and the effects are more related to the other emergent properties of the experience.

As I suggested in the previous section, the experience of having kava seems to operate on a subconscious level as well as a conscious one. Maybe then, instead of the noticeable psychoactive effects being the cause of the egoic interaction, it is the subconscious effects that truly shine. The lasting anxiolytic effects even after the initial ones seem to suggest a lasting property on the mind. Is this purely because of the chemical reaction, or is it a psychological response to the serenity that kava brings? It is hard to say. The research suggests a few options:

"A psychophysiologic study of kavain (Klinge Pharma, Munich, Germany) found pharmacodynamic peaks at 1-2 hours and eight hours, suggesting active metabolites. Peak levels occurred at 1.8 hours, with an elimination half-life of approximately nine hours and a distribution half-life of 50 minutes." Link to study >

However, " In a study of the metabolism of several kava lactones in male rats, it was observed that about one-half of the 400mg/kg dose of dihydrokavain administered was found in the urine in 48 hours." Link to study >

I am not personally familiar with the effects of each kavalactones, but this seems to correlate with the effects - the initial effects, which are mostly conscious, stop distributing after 50 minutes. Then the anti anxiety effects seem to linger for much longer, some have said 48-72 hours. No doubt there is still the constituents in the body at that point, but what about the initial session's illuminating effect on their own self-understanding?

Personally I feel more in tune with my body and soul when I have kava, and this effect lasts longer than the kava stays in the body. For me this means that I have had an illuminating experience with the kava, and that as a result of nature's gift to me, my ego is lowered, and I am much more humble and open minded. I am not sure if this is across the board for others here, but for this reason alone I feel it has immense benefits to a spiritual and philosophical perspective on life. So the experiences themselves seem to grant new knowledge, allowing your mind to make new associations which might not have occurred had you not decided to have a shell. For me this allows spiritual growth in my understanding of my relationship to this wonderful root, and thereby to the outside world.

C) How is the soul affected by kava?
I'd say this is a more spiritually-oriented question than my previous two, and relies much heavier on perspective and beliefs. This can be opinion, but remember that this too can be just as powerful as the more physical examination of the effects, because someone's experience is absolutely unique, it is the all encompassing and genuine marker of a soul's interaction with existence.

So, even though I do not believe in any astral plane or celestial beings, I do admit that many topics cannot be explained by human understanding. Like how the vast and complex network of neurons of a brain can coalesce into a conscious being which can produce information that is more vast than itself. We can grasp the abstract through language, a complex system of referential and representative symbols pointing to 'ideas' or descriptions of experiences. We have a lot of power in this existence even though we as a species are minuscule compared to the vastness of the cosmos. Our own experiences make up the meaningfulness of the very universe we inhabit. If we think based on the old question, "if a tree falls in the forest and nobody is around to hear it, does it make a sound?", the answer is yes, of course, but the bigger question is "if a tree falls in the forest and nobody is around to hear it, does it matter at all?" and this is much more difficult to answer. Perhaps it is arrogant to say we are the reason the universe has meaning, but I am simply saying in more specific terms that we are the reason our experience of the outside universe has meaning. Without us to experience it, there is an empty theater in the dark, basked in the glow of the cosmos, with a lonely abyss of empty chairs. I am not saying that we are the most important thing to the universe, but certainly to ourselves in reference to the universe. We are us.

All this being said, as we illuminate ourselves by drinking kava, we also illuminate the kava itself. Without our selection for and breeding of Piper Methysticum, this life form would be just another plant in the vast forests of the natural world. We have given this plant a purpose, and an avenue to illuminate and enrich another species. Much like how our experience of the universe gives meaning to the universe itself, our experience of kava gives meaning to kava itself. In my opinion, our soul is uplifted and healed by kava's embrace. Not only does it heal our bodies and our minds, but it reinforces the cycle of meaning in the universe, by granting us new sensations and experiences. Kava is a wonderful root and has helped me immensely in understanding myself and my meaning to the universe.

I hope that you all find my ideas insightful! I would love to discuss differing ideas about this topic, which I am so passionate about. Thanks for taking the time to read!

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
Personally I feel more in tune with my body and soul when I have kava, and this effect lasts longer than the kava stays in the body. For me this means that I have had an illuminating experience with the kava, and that as a result of nature's gift to me, my ego is lowered, and I am much more humble and open minded. I am not sure if this is across the board for others here, but for this reason alone I feel it has immense benefits to a spiritual and philosophical perspective on life.
This pretty much jibes with my regular experiences with kava and is one of several reasons why I like it so much.

_byron

Kava Enthusiast
I really like this thought of kava on the ego and mind. Every time I consume kava in larger quantities I feel a oneness with the world. I do not have the best words to describe this. But I feel taken back from the world and in my mind I feel a type of hyper consciousness. There has been many sessions were all I can do is lay down and retreat into my mind and think.

for the most part I believe kava ceases my inner "chimp" mind and allows me to explore deep questions in a more logical manner.

Who am I?
How do my actions change my perspective?
What perspective do I believe I need to achieve?
And the list goes on and on. lol

Kava has been the most eye opening substance I have tried and is amazing for what it offers to this world.

recentreturn

Kava Enthusiast
p.p1 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; font: 11.0px Helvetica} p.p2 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; font: 11.0px Helvetica; min-height: 13.0px} span.s1 {letter-spacing: 0.0px}

I really like your questions. Since you have given an open invite with all views welcome, I will throw out some of my preliminary thoughts which are influenced both by philosophical views and a religious beliefs.

Is Kava inherently spiritual or psychedelic.

To this question I would answer in the negative, with the qualification that, I believe that in some sense everything is spiritually significant. Starting with a caution that in my belief everything we say about God is more unlike God than like God and that, I believe, at the same time what we can say of God, if it is true, DOES in correspond to God accurately. (This is because God who is infinitely simple is known to finite minds through finite things apprehensible to such minds and thus complexity and consequently the language of finite beings is limited by being finite; but I believe the finite minds of human beings are open to recieve the infinite in their own way; Moreover, that if that Being were to communicate to finite beings in their own language, we again would have indubitable truths about the infinite, accurately communicated, but still in a manner appropriate to finite beings. Hence while all true, even down to the very propositions used, it would still be only a shadowy negative in comparison to a direct apprehension of the supreme Being).

In my view, God is supreme Being; Ground and source of all being. Everything that is not God, has a “whatness” that does not demand its actual existence (“what-ing”). I also believe that Being and the Good, are basically equivalent (won’t go into distinctions here); and that beauty is a radiance of being. Every entity that is, is only because God actively draws it into and holds it in being. Each and all of these things and the whole of the cosmos have been so drawn into being precisely because God, who I view as personal and volitional, wills them into being. Consequently, there is absolutely nothing which does not manifest God’s perfection in some way, and absolutely nothing which he is not in active contact with by creative power communicating to it its being. Thus there is a communication and manifestation of God in each and everything, in so far as the thing has being. Moreover, because these things are willed to be, they are also a refection of God’s goodness and wisdom. This wisdom is the basis for the “intelligibility” that we find in the universe (yes, I know it can be argued that this is just speciesism, whereby we are interpreting the universe through our own species specific filter; but you asked for our convictions, and I believe there is more at work than that). This intelligibility is what serves as the basis for all of our knowledge of the material world and for our very ability to do things like philosophy and modern science (which previously would have simply been a branch of philosophy). And consequently the whole of the cosmos as well as its individual beings and the seemingly infinite relations and interactions with these beings, all work together to speak to us a pale image of the supreme Being which is the fountain of them all. But I also believe that they actually “are” in their own right, because the fact that they each possess their very own being and nature, as their own, further manifests the goodness of the supreme Being.

Thus, the distinction between God and all else is the distinction between the one whose Being is identical to his Essence (what he is = that he is) and all other creatures whose essence is a work of divine wisdom and whose being is pure and free gift, communicated by a free will act (which I take to be an act of love undertaken purely through exuberant goodness).

As to my philosophical views, I will simply state up front that I am suspicious of the whole post-cartesian reversal [though, I have no doubt that there have been useful insights coming from it]. In the west prior to Descart, philosophy presumed the world around us and worked with its data. After Descart it presumed only our own consciousness and then wasted an absurd amount of time trying to get back out of its head to the world around us. I feel that in the end philosophy will be stuck with making a choice which to trust first and which to doubt. I choose start by trusting that we know the world around us and working from there. Otherwise you get silly arguments from conscious people using consciousness to argue about whether there is such a thing as consciousness.

My conviction is that the world around us is real and that our minds, more or less, work in apprehending it. In short I think epistemology is, on the whole, a subordinate to metaphysics. As opposed to the post-cartesian approach of starting foremost with epistemology.

Going further:

The term spiritual seems to be used by different people in different ways. But I believe that the ground of the concept of spiritual is that it is immaterial. I believe the soul is spiritual, and consequently immaterial. However, I do not believe that all souls are identical. In fact, I would say that souls fall into a broader category of forms, which are tied to natures, natural kinds. And that humans have an even more unique kind of soul which I would call spiritual. Forms are the principle of unity for a thing. Thus a crystal of quartz is a crystal of quartz because of a principle of unity that makes it to be such, in accord with its nature, its whatness. And it globally exhibits the properties of quartz BECAUSE of its nature. When the thing quartz is destroyed, the stuff it is made of can revert to a different thing under the influence of a different form which brings about different properties (silicon and oxygen). This principle of unity in living things, is called soul. However, in humans, this principle of unity is also properly spiritual. This is apprehended because the kind of thing a human is, its “whatness,” produces properties that exceed matter and which tell us that that principle of unity in it is of a properly immaterial kind with respect to plants and animals. Basically a reference to your own observation: “Like how the vast and complex network of neurons of a brain can coalesce into a conscious being which can produce information that is more vast than itself. We can grasp the abstract through language, a complex system of referential and representative symbols pointing to 'ideas' or descriptions of experiences. We have a lot of power in this existence even though we as a species are minuscule compared to the vastness of the cosmos. Our own experiences make up the meaningfulness of the very universe we inhabit.”

Moreover I see this relationship between Being and being, Being and the beings, as fully compatible with an evolutionary view. As the natures of beings having a property that allows for the kind of change that runs the course of evolution, even if it were conducted thru mere chance. For each of these natures and their ability to be are ALL within the scope of the Being and Wisdom which has made them be and holds them in being. Thus even chance cannot fall out of the pale of this Wisdom.

Free will and the problem of evil is a pain in the a** which is think is answerable but will never feel particularly satisfying to a finite mind, and I’m not gonna mess with it here.

Another important distinction:

My view that the soul is the form of the person brings up a VERY important point. The soul is a principle of unity to the living entity. In humans, I believe it so exceeds matter that it will survive the body. However, I believe that nevertheless, it is STILL the form of the body, such that even a human being, is not quite a human being without the body.

The soul is what makes the body to be, and the soul functions THRU THE BODY and BY THE BODY.

Consequently, damage to the body prevents the soul from having its full effect in that which the soul produces: the person.

The human person is that a single unified thing which is composed necessarily of both soul and body, and the soul is the unifying principle which, makes the body to be “this” body.

Personhood proper is tied to having an immaterial soul capable of the subjectivity and abstract cognition previously mentioned. So it is not necessarily the case to say that a soul removed from the body ceases to be a person, but a soul removed from the body is still in a state that is somewhat unnatural and demands to take matter and form it again into a body through which to express itself in the form of the full nature: the human being: a unified thing, whose nature is to be a composite of body and soul. [Personhood for purely spiritual beings does not require this, as they are of a different natural kind which does not partake matter]

This is why, for example, brain damage can cause a change of personality. Not because it destroys the soul or because the soul has failed, but because the human person is damaged in his body in such a way that the soul cannot fully express itself through the instrumentality of the body.

The spiritual soul’s primary powers (those it does not share with the lower natural kinds) are intellect and will.

Intellect and will exist for one purpose: to know and choose the “good/being,” which process should lead them through a whole thread of choices and apprehensions, to choose the Good/Supreme Being.

Genuine spirituality is about rejecting falsehood and various forms of non-being, which, since the entire world and all in it is good and a manifestation of the Good, takes the form of chooses goods that are hierarchically at odds with each other, choosing to subordinate higher goods to lower goods. Thus the child who steals his friend’s pizza, chooses the good of food but in the process subordinates it to a higher good, the other child.

Seeking truth and choosing the good is also always perfective of our own being, since we were willed by Being precisely to be, and to be according to our own natures.

In this way we are all hard wired by Being to desire good and only good and to seek happiness and only happiness, but we are capable of doing this in a way that is out of order and results in a kind of destruction of our own being. Instead we are given being, precisely to eventually return freely (acc. to our own nature, unlike animal and plant which are not free) to the Supreme Being, Supreme Good by a free choice. This laying hold of the good and ultimately the Good, produces happiness.

BACK TO KAVA:

Kava affects the body. If its use allows the body to do what it is supposed to better in serving this process of knowing and choosing the good true and beautiful (or celebrating it and enjoying it, even in the kava itself!!!) in a manner that does not produce disorder that leads us to subordinate lower goods to higher goods, or if it helps us put things BACK into the proper order and stop subordinating lower goods to higher goods: then is serves spirituality. If it does not do this, then it opposes spirituality.

We are the ones who are inherently spiritual. The whole world and all that is in it is meant to be be a means for us to live this spirituality out. And there is wonder to be had in every thing that is, and all of that is meant to lead us back to wonder that the thing that Supremely Is.

recentreturn

Kava Enthusiast
P.S. This ordering is not closed of to psychological order in the modern or medieval sense. Both bad thinking and chemical/material issues can inhibit a right apprehension of both the world and the self.
P.P.S. I do think the soul can have mystical experiences that exceed the bodily functioning. My religious tradition has countless examples of people being drawn to forms of intellection that also suspend consciousness. But these are always described as acts of God rather than induced through a chemical. I don't personally believe a chemical natural or otherwise has the power to directly induce a mystical experience in this strict sense. On the other hand, since what I said above does imply that we are hard wired for mysticism. Consequently, I find it interesting and not problematic if some find that chemicals give them an inkling of the mystical unity and communion to which we are ordered. Personally, I believe there is a danger that that inkling is both an apprehension that we are in a cosmos which is one by the Wisdom/Being which serves as its common principle (which is a good thing) but also prone to error about the nature of that, since it may not be the real thing as induced in the purely immaterial part of the soul.
Reality is always foundation and goal. Because reality is song that leads back to Supreme reality. Consciousness, "normal" consciousness, is not the enemy of spirituality; it is its primary servant. Perhaps some find satisfaction that some unreal experiences shatter other unreal experiences too.
P.P.S. But again, I am giving my view, because the original poster asked for our own personal views.

recentreturn

Kava Enthusiast
(hmmm...it would seem that a purely mystical experience would probably spill over into the body; which functions through chemicals. So it wouldn't be surprising if there are chemicals that could even mimic some of this bodily element. But then the criterion would still have to be reality and truth.)

Jellyman64

Δ Kavanaut Δ
Hope my overly formal sounding rhetoric doesn't scare anyone away from posting their view. This is just how I think about stuff.
On the contrary, I loved that you took the time to share! I would like to respond to your post, when I am not sleep deprived. For some reason drinking two and a half shells didn't help bring me down far enough to sleep yet.. 5am right now where I live.

I will work a response up to ask questions and such. Thanks for the very detailed and methodological post, I am fascinated with the way you see the world. I'll get back to you tomorrow!

krunkedout

Kava Lover
Very interesting post. Here is my interpretation of kava:

First off I should state that I used to have much more of a spiritual view of the world when I was younger (some could have even said I was somewhat of a hippy), however, I am in a completely different place in my life now and I often times look back on my younger self and see that I was often times misguided and feel as though I gave too much credence to things which were, in the grand scheme of things, capital in nature.

Despite this, kava has, and always will retain a place in my heart and my life as a plant which is deeply rooted (pun intended) in who I am; I will always love kava, the culture, the effects and the impact it has had on my life.

I discovered kava as a very young man, probably around the age of 14 or so. Through my teenaged year's kava become my daily ritual and, through this ritual, it taught me many great lessons. It taught me patience, management of expectations, peace and many more. One of my favorite activities was making a bowl of kava and watching an obscure film and just taking in the experiences and emotions.

Today I respect kava and hold it in the highest regard as far as nature goes. Even though I have taken many breaks from it, mostly due to price, it always brings me peace and serenity in a very hectic world.

As to the effects of kava, it can be spiritual in nature, depending on how you view it; in my mind, it is supposed to be spiritual in nature. It should be experienced as a ritual, in my opinion, and it should be welcomed with an openness of mind to experience what it truly has to offer. This may be different for others, but I believe it should be a teacher and held in such regard.

Jellyman64

Δ Kavanaut Δ
Firstly, I apologize for taking so long to respond to this post, I had meant to do it earlier, but as fleeting as a midsummer's wind, the intention blew away. My mind tends to become entranced by the abstract and chaotic flow of consciousness; that is to say I am very air-headed and daydream-prone. I forget things I mean to do often, as a result, I have had issues with school, last semester I was struggling to do well because of this very flightiness. Anyways, I thought your response was well-thought out, and I will attempt to break it down into sections and respond.

p.p1 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; font: 11.0px Helvetica} p.p2 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; font: 11.0px Helvetica; min-height: 13.0px} span.s1 {letter-spacing: 0.0px}
Is Kava inherently spiritual or psychedelic.

To this question I would answer in the negative, with the qualification that, I believe that in some sense everything is spiritually significant. Starting with a caution that in my belief everything we say about God is more unlike God than like God and that, I believe, at the same time what we can say of God, if it is true, DOES in correspond to God accurately. (This is because God who is infinitely simple is known to finite minds through finite things apprehensible to such minds and thus complexity and consequently the language of finite beings is limited by being finite; but I believe the finite minds of human beings are open to recieve the infinite in their own way; Moreover, that if that Being were to communicate to finite beings in their own language, we again would have indubitable truths about the infinite, accurately communicated, but still in a manner appropriate to finite beings. Hence while all true, even down to the very propositions used, it would still be only a shadowy negative in comparison to a direct apprehension of the supreme Being).

In my view, God is supreme Being; Ground and source of all being. Everything that is not God, has a “whatness” that does not demand its actual existence (“what-ing”). I also believe that Being and the Good, are basically equivalent (won’t go into distinctions here); and that beauty is a radiance of being. Every entity that is, is only because God actively draws it into and holds it in being. Each and all of these things and the whole of the cosmos have been so drawn into being precisely because God, who I view as personal and volitional, wills them into being. Consequently, there is absolutely nothing which does not manifest God’s perfection in some way, and absolutely nothing which he is not in active contact with by creative power communicating to it its being. Thus there is a communication and manifestation of God in each and everything, in so far as the thing has being. Moreover, because these things are willed to be, they are also a refection of God’s goodness and wisdom. This wisdom is the basis for the “intelligibility” that we find in the universe (yes, I know it can be argued that this is just speciesism, whereby we are interpreting the universe through our own species specific filter; but you asked for our convictions, and I believe there is more at work than that). This intelligibility is what serves as the basis for all of our knowledge of the material world and for our very ability to do things like philosophy and modern science (which previously would have simply been a branch of philosophy). And consequently the whole of the cosmos as well as its individual beings and the seemingly infinite relations and interactions with these beings, all work together to speak to us a pale image of the supreme Being which is the fountain of them all. But I also believe that they actually “are” in their own right, because the fact that they each possess their very own being and nature, as their own, further manifests the goodness of the supreme Being.

Thus, the distinction between God and all else is the distinction between the one whose Being is identical to his Essence (what he is = that he is) and all other creatures whose essence is a work of divine wisdom and whose being is pure and free gift, communicated by a free will act (which I take to be an act of love undertaken purely through exuberant goodness).

As to my philosophical views, I will simply state up front that I am suspicious of the whole post-cartesian reversal [though, I have no doubt that there have been useful insights coming from it]. In the west prior to Descart, philosophy presumed the world around us and worked with its data. After Descart it presumed only our own consciousness and then wasted an absurd amount of time trying to get back out of its head to the world around us. I feel that in the end philosophy will be stuck with making a choice which to trust first and which to doubt. I choose start by trusting that we know the world around us and working from there. Otherwise you get silly arguments from conscious people using consciousness to argue about whether there is such a thing as consciousness.

My conviction is that the world around us is real and that our minds, more or less, work in apprehending it. In short I think epistemology is, on the whole, a subordinate to metaphysics. As opposed to the post-cartesian approach of starting foremost with epistemology.

Going further:

The term spiritual seems to be used by different people in different ways. But I believe that the ground of the concept of spiritual is that it is immaterial. I believe the soul is spiritual, and consequently immaterial. However, I do not believe that all souls are identical. In fact, I would say that souls fall into a broader category of forms, which are tied to natures, natural kinds. And that humans have an even more unique kind of soul which I would call spiritual. Forms are the principle of unity for a thing. Thus a crystal of quartz is a crystal of quartz because of a principle of unity that makes it to be such, in accord with its nature, its whatness. And it globally exhibits the properties of quartz BECAUSE of its nature. When the thing quartz is destroyed, the stuff it is made of can revert to a different thing under the influence of a different form which brings about different properties (silicon and oxygen). This principle of unity in living things, is called soul. However, in humans, this principle of unity is also properly spiritual. This is apprehended because the kind of thing a human is, its “whatness,” produces properties that exceed matter and which tell us that that principle of unity in it is of a properly immaterial kind with respect to plants and animals. Basically a reference to your own observation: “Like how the vast and complex network of neurons of a brain can coalesce into a conscious being which can produce information that is more vast than itself. We can grasp the abstract through language, a complex system of referential and representative symbols pointing to 'ideas' or descriptions of experiences. We have a lot of power in this existence even though we as a species are minuscule compared to the vastness of the cosmos. Our own experiences make up the meaningfulness of the very universe we inhabit.”

Moreover I see this relationship between Being and being, Being and the beings, as fully compatible with an evolutionary view. As the natures of beings having a property that allows for the kind of change that runs the course of evolution, even if it were conducted thru mere chance. For each of these natures and their ability to be are ALL within the scope of the Being and Wisdom which has made them be and holds them in being. Thus even chance cannot fall out of the pale of this Wisdom.
Wow, I have to say, your views are fascinating! I somewhat understand the vibe of your descriptions of "what-ness" and "what-ing". I understand the former to be pertaining to the property of essence and the latter pertaining to the property of existence (in a physical sense). I understand this so well because as I described the nature of my personality, I am very much in tune with the right-brained ways (of course this is a descriptor and not a prescription to believe in such a split-brain theory, even though the evidence) and find much emotional and spiritual meaning behind all the sensations I perceive, and ever since I was very young, I would attempt to figure out the true "essence" of things that our senses cannot perceive. I also agree that we as humans have a deeply abstract and emergent property, our own essence, a spark of the evolutionary fire, of instinct and of emotion, of knowledge and ethos, that causes us to be aware of these things. We are the only species able to comprehend our own consciousness, and in special situations, transcend it to know that the ego is all an illusion. A sort of break from the regular trance of being, when the actual agency of spirit is fully in tune with the body, and not so fixated on the ego and outside world. I am fond of Buddhism for producing such intriguing insights into this enlightenment, and I attempt to one day chase it down in a reserved and dispassionate way.

I almost feel as if these substances provide a temporary peek into the world inside our minds, behind the lens of the ego and the transfixiation of the outside world. Kava does this for me almost every time.

Free will and the problem of evil is a pain in the a** which is think is answerable but will never feel particularly satisfying to a finite mind, and I’m not gonna mess with it here.

Another important distinction:

My view that the soul is the form of the person brings up a VERY important point. The soul is a principle of unity to the living entity. In humans, I believe it so exceeds matter that it will survive the body. However, I believe that nevertheless, it is STILL the form of the body, such that even a human being, is not quite a human being without the body.

The soul is what makes the body to be, and the soul functions THRU THE BODY and BY THE BODY.

Consequently, damage to the body prevents the soul from having its full effect in that which the soul produces: the person.

The human person is that a single unified thing which is composed necessarily of both soul and body, and the soul is the unifying principle which, makes the body to be “this” body.

Personhood proper is tied to having an immaterial soul capable of the subjectivity and abstract cognition previously mentioned. So it is not necessarily the case to say that a soul removed from the body ceases to be a person, but a soul removed from the body is still in a state that is somewhat unnatural and demands to take matter and form it again into a body through which to express itself in the form of the full nature: the human being: a unified thing, whose nature is to be a composite of body and soul. [Personhood for purely spiritual beings does not require this, as they are of a different natural kind which does not partake matter]

This is why, for example, brain damage can cause a change of personality. Not because it destroys the soul or because the soul has failed, but because the human person is damaged in his body in such a way that the soul cannot fully express itself through the instrumentality of the body.
I find this especially intriguing. Your take is quite more... reductionary than typical of theists, and I find it much more plausible. I personally find the meaning of soul to be intimately tied to communal perception, in that a person's soul can exist as information, a ghost of the once living body, mind, and spirit, in the memories of those who were close or interacted with them. I am agnostic about any kind of ethereal or astral plane of existence, the only one I can account for is my own mind, the headspace of concepts and memories that form a universe of infinite complexities. I do believe everyone has this, and as such matters of the soul after bodily death will render entire subjective, yet still very real, realms of existence as inert as the bodies they no longer live in. It is now up to the knowledge and will of those living, with their own universes in their head, to reanimate the dead, to make what is dead alive and real (given I already suggested that subjective headspace and thoughts are very real).

The spiritual soul’s primary powers (those it does not share with the lower natural kinds) are intellect and will.

Intellect and will exist for one purpose: to know and choose the “good/being,” which process should lead them through a whole thread of choices and apprehensions, to choose the Good/Supreme Being.

Genuine spirituality is about rejecting falsehood and various forms of non-being, which, since the entire world and all in it is good and a manifestation of the Good, takes the form of chooses goods that are hierarchically at odds with each other, choosing to subordinate higher goods to lower goods. Thus the child who steals his friend’s pizza, chooses the good of food but in the process subordinates it to a higher good, the other child.

Seeking truth and choosing the good is also always perfective of our own being, since we were willed by Being precisely to be, and to be according to our own natures.

In this way we are all hard wired by Being to desire good and only good and to seek happiness and only happiness, but we are capable of doing this in a way that is out of order and results in a kind of destruction of our own being. Instead we are given being, precisely to eventually return freely (acc. to our own nature, unlike animal and plant which are not free) to the Supreme Being, Supreme Good by a free choice. This laying hold of the good and ultimately the Good, produces happiness.

BACK TO KAVA:

Kava affects the body. If its use allows the body to do what it is supposed to better in serving this process of knowing and choosing the good true and beautiful (or celebrating it and enjoying it, even in the kava itself!!!) in a manner that does not produce disorder that leads us to subordinate lower goods to higher goods, or if it helps us put things BACK into the proper order and stop subordinating lower goods to higher goods: then is serves spirituality. If it does not do this, then it opposes spirituality.

We are the ones who are inherently spiritual. The whole world and all that is in it is meant to be be a means for us to live this spirituality out. And there is wonder to be had in every thing that is, and all of that is meant to lead us back to wonder that the thing that Supremely Is.
I like this line: "Genuine spirituality is about rejecting falsehood and various forms of non-being [...]" and I quite agree with it. I tend to see it in the Buddhist way, through a mostly secular, but genuinely enthusiastically neutral way in regards to divinity, that one must deny one's own self-image as illusory and realize that the trance we are so fixed in, every waking minute and every dreaming night, is all but a practice in futility of true self-actualization. For such matters of the inner mind, one must turn inward, find the light inside one's self, and then understand in a more enlightened way the universe around us: that we know nothing.

Such a simple acknowledgement is the great humility of life I always try to remind myself when I become deluded or too proud. Be humble, and kind, for we are all children in this strange and infinite abyss of our own mind, trapped in an endless universe with no apparent meaning other than the one we hold dear to us.

Jellyman64

Δ Kavanaut Δ
Very interesting post. Here is my interpretation of kava:

First off I should state that I used to have much more of a spiritual view of the world when I was younger (some could have even said I was somewhat of a hippy), however, I am in a completely different place in my life now and I often times look back on my younger self and see that I was often times misguided and feel as though I gave too much credence to things which were, in the grand scheme of things, capital in nature.

Despite this, kava has, and always will retain a place in my heart and my life as a plant which is deeply rooted (pun intended) in who I am; I will always love kava, the culture, the effects and the impact it has had on my life.

I discovered kava as a very young man, probably around the age of 14 or so. Through my teenaged year's kava become my daily ritual and, through this ritual, it taught me many great lessons. It taught me patience, management of expectations, peace and many more. One of my favorite activities was making a bowl of kava and watching an obscure film and just taking in the experiences and emotions.

Today I respect kava and hold it in the highest regard as far as nature goes. Even though I have taken many breaks from it, mostly due to price, it always brings me peace and serenity in a very hectic world.

As to the effects of kava, it can be spiritual in nature, depending on how you view it; in my mind, it is supposed to be spiritual in nature. It should be experienced as a ritual, in my opinion, and it should be welcomed with an openness of mind to experience what it truly has to offer. This may be different for others, but I believe it should be a teacher and held in such regard.
This is the very reason I was so attracted to Kava. A spiritual teacher insofar as the experience illuminates softly that which we already have unconsciously had in mind - not changing our minds to new entire modes of consciousness, but subtly and quietly allowing for new perspective to flow. I find an inner flow when I consume any kind of botanical substance. Kava has always been the most clean, panoramic in awareness experience, allowing me to feel truly liberated from the chains of my anxieties and demons.

N

Noname

I belive saying a prayer and setting intention to benifit before each session would help.kava seems to encourage emotional and physical healing. The spiritual side of kava I don't know the science behind it but I know that amazing things happen during relaxation. Kava is similar to meditation it turns off the mental chatter and relaxes body.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
I belive saying a prayer and setting intention to benifit before each session would help.kava seems to encourage emotional and physical healing. The spiritual side of kava I don't know the science behind it but I know that amazing things happen during relaxation. Kava is similar to meditation it turns off the mental chatter and relaxes body.
Yes, kava helps strip away the gunk of life that prevents me from being me. I don’t think kava adds to us. What we are with kava is what we always were and meant to be. Kava takes away the stuff that takes away. Kava dreams aren’t from kava, they are from us, kavas makes it possible to have what is ours.

N

Noname

Yea I agree. It's like kava relaxes you and clears away the clouds and at the same time doesn't turn you into a different person. Kava doesn't add or take away or atleast that's what it seems like.Yea write down those kava dreams and analyze the meaning and set intention to let it go. Once I got so krunk i dreamed of elementary school LOL. Obviously something bothered me during that time and I need to let it go. Kava has a lot of potential for therapy.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
Yea I agree. It's like kava relaxes you and clears away the clouds and at the same time doesn't turn you into a different person. Kava doesn't add or take away or atleast that's what it seems like.Yea write down those kava dreams and analyze the meaning and set intention to let it go. Once I got so krunk i dreamed of elementary school LOL. Obviously something bothered me during that time and I need to let it go. Kava has a lot of potential for therapy.
you ever get to thinking maybe it's the dreams that are real and this stuff here is fake? I don't mean the KFs I mean the planet Earth.

N

Noname

lol what is real anyway? It seems we are trying to comprehend reality but no definite answer. I don't beleive this jelly like substance in our head is gonna comprehend existence. I don't know it's confusing. There's never a light bulb moment. I can think of 3 different ideas of why we are here but there's never a light bulb moment that says this is it you finally found the right answer. This may sound crazy but i beleive eternity has more to offer than this physical plane. Take 1 or 2 of your most favorite things and compare them to eternity. Is this all divine existence has to offer? Or even take ALL of your favorite things. Is this all existence has to offer? Existence is amazing but planet earth isn't. All I see is objects.Maybe we are in some kind of soul prison trapped in these physical bodies. eternity is beyond words. Maybe I'm just playing with somethings called language which is something humans made up and so anything we think of using language is probably bs. It's language that allows us to philopsohize and contemplate. There is also none verbal language and beings from other realms speak in non verbal language. Even the concept of having purpose is something we heard from someone. What if we were born in the woods without technology or religion or any types of belief systems. Would we still be thinking about purpose? So many questions...I belive there is some type of order to existence because when you help someone you get a good feeling inside even if you don't believe in any religion.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
lol what is real anyway? It seems we are trying to comprehend reality but no definite answer. I don't beleive this jelly like substance in our head is gonna comprehend existence. I don't know it's confusing. There's never a light bulb moment. I can think of 3 different ideas of why we are here but there's never a light bulb moment that says this is it you finally found the right answer. This may sound crazy but i beleive eternity has more to offer than this physical plane. Take 1 or 2 of your most favorite things and compare them to eternity. Is this all divine existence has to offer? Or even take ALL of your favorite things. Is this all existence has to offer? Existence is amazing but planet earth isn't. All I see is objects.Maybe we are in some kind of soul prison trapped in these physical bodies. eternity is beyond words. Maybe I'm just playing with somethings called language which is something humans made up and so anything we think of using language is probably bs. It's language that allows us to philopsohize and contemplate. There is also none verbal language and beings from other realms speak in non verbal language. Even the concept of having purpose is something we heard from someone. What if we were born in the woods without technology or religion or any types of belief systems. Would we still be thinking about purpose? So many questions...I belive there is some type of order to existence because when you help someone you get a good feeling inside even if you don't believe in any religion.
on the contrary, I believe in any religion

Jellyman64

Δ Kavanaut Δ
As I've said before, I am not committed to a religion, but open to spirituality. I think understanding our existence is a matter that is quite subjective and not at all universal. Because we can map out the stars and we can know that our galaxy is approximately 13.6 billion years old, yet when we try to figure out what we mean, all we have is our physical tools again. We are getting better and better at understanding what happens in the physical world and how it corresponds to our physical bodies, and how that corresponds to our behavior, but we know nothing, and I mean nothing, of why we are conscious.

Science can use its analysis and methodology based in logic to attempt to answer this question, but our very existential nature is absurd! Religion can use its prophetic and mystical teachings to attempt to answer the question, but most of the times, it is an answer which brings more questions. This is where I think spirituality can come in. Spirituality need not be of a supernatural nature, although it can be. Spirituality in my eyes is ultimately subjective, but it doesn't mean that you are wrong. We can only guess at what the outside existence means, because we are locked into this jelly like substance, as you put it. But, because we have our essence imbedded in this form factor, this subjective experiential flow of consciousness, of being, then we have the ultimate view of this inner reality. Think about it like this: we can't fathom existence because it is much greater than us, and we can't be in more than one place at a time. But since we are our own subjective experience we can begin to fathom it!

This is why I am so interested in eastern philosophy and religion. I specifically am interested in how meditation and other similar practices can provide a deeper understanding of your own existence. The idea in the Vipassana tradition of Buddhism is to listen to one's self. Sit in a comfortable position and just observe your thoughts, breaths, any senses you experience, and continue to focus on your breath. Focusing on a single point allows for you to observe more about yourself. We live in such a busy world, and a lot of us in trying to find answers forgo the most simple source of evidence of all - your self! Just quietly listening and observing yourself, especially in the practice of meditation, can eventually deepen your understanding of your existence, and eventually you will realize that the endless search for meaning is fruitless. The meaning is right there, all that exists...

Well, that's what I've heard anyways. I have noticed that meditation does indeed slowly develop my understanding of myself, and I more and more desire to do it more intensively.

N

Noname

Some people say that some people have past lives. And for those who kept coming back to earth Ina differnt body well then what's the reason? There's a thing called past life regression that gives you a vision of your past life if you had one. I'm totally open to ideas like that all these years we have been fed the 5 senses bs in schools. We actually have super powers. When someone looks at you and you know the exact direction they are looking at you from that's a mini super power. When someone crosses your mind and 5 seconds later that person texts you that's a mini super power. When someone comes up to you and says hey I forgot my wallet at home and I need to get gas and then you get a feeling inside that they are lying that's a super power. We have more advanced powers but if we abuse them I belive the universe will take them away from us. I'm also open to the idea that our souls come from different places. Some people are born awakened and they know this place is sick and dark. Others show potential for waking up. Some show zero potential of ever waking up. Idk man this is a mind boggling topic. The native Americans believed healers that volunteered to help bring light to the world are dramatized by the dark side at birth and childhood through family and others to try and throw them off there path. Makes a lot of sense because bad things happen to good people. It doesn't mean it's there karma. People have the wrong idea about Karma.Satan is G-d of earth and so ofcourse he'll possess the bodies of weak humans and use them as a vehicle to give good people a a hard time. Bad people are rewarded with materialism by the beast and those who do good are punished. peolle have wrong idea about karma.Don't believe in evil spirits? Talk about what's going on in the world all the lies and corruption and upload to YouTube and I guaratentee you will more than likely get visited in the dream realm. I don't advise you to try this. Bad idea unless you are protected.

Status
Not open for further replies.