What's new

Quitting Nicotine

Status
Not open for further replies.

verticity

I'm interested in things
Heroin is 'highly' addictive. Nicotine can be somewhat addictive in it's freebase form but so is caffeine.
I don't know, I've never freebased caffeine :D Cigarette companies do use ammonia to change some of the nicotine you smoke in to the free base form. That does make it more bio-available, so that a smaller dose will have a greater effect, but it does not make it "more addictive" It's still the same drug. Turning it into free base form does not alter it's action in the brain as far as I know. Now it might take less of it in freebase form to cause addiction (or overdose), but it is still quite addictive in its regular form if you ingest enough of it.

verticity

I'm interested in things
Here's a good chart of the relative addictiveness of various substances:

So, yes, heroin is the king of both dependence and harm, but tobacco is up there.

Bear-Shirt

Kava Enthusiast
Yes tobacco is. But "tobacco" is 4000+ different chemicals one of which is the freebase form of nicotine which is magnitudes more addictive than nicotine. Just like crack, a freebase form of cocaine is magnitudes more addictive than cocaine. The list is pretty useless since it doesnt distinguish between variations of a drug. Cocaine is not very physically addictive but if you indiscriminately lump it together with crack it appears to be. I can't take that list seriously at all. Pot is almost as addictive as buprenorphine a potent semisynthetic opioid? Right...

Freebase varations of drugs generally crosses the blood brain barrier a lot faster. This is key in addiction due to its faster more intense effect onset.

Nicotine addiction has been extensively studied, from investigations of the absorption and metabolism of nicotine in smoke to its wide range of effects on neurotransmitter chemicals in the brain. Animal studies indicate that pure nicotine is only weakly addictive but data on human drug use indicate that the addictive potential of tobacco is very high. (It is interresting how nicotine and tobacco is used interchangeably in a lot of papers. Nicotine is in tobacco, tobacco is not nicotine, it is not a single drug)

The action of nicotine on the CNS is multifaceted and the mechanisms of addiction are still poorly understood. There are substantial inter-individual differences in the action of nicotine and in its metabolism, which are in part genetically determined. A number of different compounds may in principle interfere with the binding of nicotine with its receptors, while others may interfere with the metabolism of nicotine via the cytochrome P450system or other pathways. Addiction to nicotine is difficult to measure directly and is usually assessed experimentally with reference to reinforcement assessed in self-administration paradigms.
http://ec.europa.eu/health/scientific_committees/opinions_layman/tobacco/en/l-3/4.htm

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.