What's new

Recommendations Please

Hi everyone,

I've lurked around this forum for a few months but haven't posted yet. I would like some recommendations. I'm fairly new to Kava. I started with Kava King's Instant Kava (flavored and vanatu) and really liked the effects, but I would like to try something stronger. I read reviews here and tried Kalm with Kava's Pouni Ono, but didn't get the same results. I mostly just felt an odd ringing/pressure in my head. I also tried Best Fiji Kava's AAA Waka, which was okay, but I wasn't blown away. I also was sent a free sample of their AAA Lawena, which I liked much better.

I'm using kava for anxiety and muscle tension. So I'd like to try Kava's that are relaxing and affect the body physically. I'm not as interested in the mental aspects, and my experience with Pouni Ono makes me think that stimulating Kavas are not for me.

Does anyone have any recommendations for me? Thank you!

verticity

I'm interested in things
GHK Mahakea or Hanakapi'ai.
Your Pouni Ono experience may indicate that you are still experiencing reverse tolerance. Some people don't feel the heady kavas at first. But once you get over RT, the heady ones can be good for anxiety, without wiping you out and making you want to take a nap. Also I noticed the last batch of Pouni I got seemed not as strong as it had been; you might need to use a little more powder.

-33-

Trailer Park Boys - watch it on netflix!
Yeah I'm in the same boat!. I really need kava that will knock me out ... not tense me up and all talky... :(.
I don't have much experience but Kava Candy works wonders on sleep for me.... 4 of them (over 2 hours, right b4 i want to goto bed) & I'm out like a light, every time!

Steve Mariotti

Kavapithecus Krunkarensis
Review Maestro
Welcome, @Kathleenie!

You've come to the right place.

Your choices have been good so far. For anxiety and muscle tension I would recommend:

GHK Boroguru
KWK Borongoru
GHK Hanakapi'ai
GHK Papa Kea (when available)
GHK Nene

I'd go Nene first.

August West

Kava Enthusiast
^^what Steve said. also I'd add GHK Mahakea to the list. It's a very well rounded root that I love. Be careful with the heavier varieties until you get the gist of them. Space your shells out. It's easy to drink too much too fast and get nausea with the heavy hitters, since each shell can take almost an hour to really kick in.

sumguy

Kava Enthusiast
I don't have much experience but Kava Candy works wonders on sleep for me.... 4 of them (over 2 hours, right b4 i want to goto bed) & I'm out like a light, every time!
I've used Kava Candy as a sleep aid many times as well, but generally as a last resort when I've been in bed for hours and haven't been able to fall asleep yet.

-33-

Trailer Park Boys - watch it on netflix!
I've used Kava Candy as a sleep aid many times as well, but generally as a last resort when I've been in bed for hours and haven't been able to fall asleep yet.
Yea if you're in bed & pop one under your tongue ... it works like a charm... in fact, you really only need (1) for that

sumguy

Kava Enthusiast
Yea if you're in bed & pop one under your tongue ... it works like a charm... in fact, you really only need (1) for that
I don't actually put it under my tongue. I'm not sure it would ever dissolve that way. I just suck on it. It seems to take an incredibly long time to dissolve, especially when I'm horizontal and my mouth is a little dry.

tomkrat

Kava Enthusiast
an ER nurse once told me that sublingual administration was almost as effective as IV.... i tested the theory back when that sounded like a good idea and had to respectfully disagree

tomkrat

Kava Enthusiast
i could see it being as effective for some things but i have tried a couple things that just didn't compare..... holding that half a cigarette under my tongue for 30 minutes was useless

Zac Imiola (Herbalist)

Kava Connoisseur
Haha what? Lol you need something that would penetrate the skin in a sense... kava maybe an exception because the salivary glands could potentially carry it through... if you had say an alchohol extraction of nicotene then dripped it under the tongue ... that would probrably work better than tobacco ... but I'm just theorizing haha your experience overcharges that any day so I must for fit haha