What's new

Recommendations: What kava we are liking right now

ThePiper

Kava Lover
As Krunkface said in some other post I am a fan of the Kava Bati from Kavafied right now. It's not legendary but its strong, balanced, and cheaper than most. A staple that is good for anytime. I'm also drinking Kava Supreme, pretty solid and matching previous experiences with the ol' batches.

Hiwa from GHK. I can't get enough of these last few batches. Beats Hanakapi for me every time. The new batch may not be as euphoric as the last, but to me this is a supremely mellow and peaceful kava, and still packs a punch. The flavor of this batch is like o other kava I've had. It tastes vegetal. This is a kava for when the sky is falling. Changes my mood very well and not edgy.

Mahakea from GHK: This batch is pretty stimulating, but it's got more backbone and warmth than moi. It doesn't make me edgy but it can be slightly irritable if I drink it in the wrong situation. Good morning kava. It's more straight-up than it usually is. Often When I drink Mahakeas of old I don't know if its gonna hit me right and its effects make it hard to assign to a scenario or time of day. This one is more like Moi and Boroguru had a baby.

I'm curious if anyone prefers Hankapi over Hiwa in the GHK heavyweight challenge. Hanakapi ain't bad though. And Hiwa used to be less nice a couple years back. But that's probably my taste changing.

KavaTime Ambae. This is some peppery stuff. Seriously peppery and fresh. Strong kava but I prefer to mix it because it isn't much of a mood enhancer for me. strong as heck though. Probably my last pick on the list but its nice to have something like it on the roster.

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
The Fijian from realkava.com
Hiwa
Kula from BKH, was too heady for me but I got used to it.
I think these are my favourites right now.

kastom_lif

Kava Lover
Hanakapiʻai vs. hiwa: I like them both equally. Hanakapiʻai is my choice for relaxing after hard work. Hiwa is for special occasions.

BKH melomelo is quite good. Less pine, but more bitter than KWK melomelo. They both feel equally strong. BKH has more DHM, while KWK has more DMY. I think the DHM gets noticable after a long session. I drink KWK melomelo for daytime activities.

WaltonGroggins

a.k.a. "Kount Grogula"
Had a rocky start with GHK's Kumakua, but I'm really enjoying it now as my "coffee" kava.
KWK's Melomelo is great, both for socializing and solo relaxation (I've said it before and I'll say it again: try adding GHK's micro Mahakea - 2tsp per shell).

Last edited:
Hi I am looking for a euphoric and not very sedative strain/batch. Also do you sacrifice anything when choosing an instant or micronized over regular root grinds? Thanks. (I hope this is the right thread)

Travis

Kava Enthusiast
I've been enjoying the dua na bilo Fijian recently. Its not the same as it was a year or so ago, but it still hits the spot. A little heavy but not overpowering.
I also really loved the canopy botanicals kavas.

Intrepidus_dux

Kava O.G.
I’ve been sticking with the Squanch waka lately. The way prices are right now and with my family’s financial needs, it just makes sense for me due to the consistency in quality. I’ve stopped experimenting for the time being, because I can’t take the chance of not getting what I need eith my money.

I really enjoy Squanch’s lawena too but I keep the waka on hand because it better suits the occasional daytime/afternoon use. The lawena is too sleepy for that.
The new occasionally naked manfriend doesn’t like how the lawena is more farty too. Farty for himself, not me.
:)

Zaphod

Kava Lover
50/50 mix Squanch lawena and waka has been hitting the spot. Also GHK's Kumakua is pretty tasty and very uplifting.

VictoryRider

Kava Enthusiast
50/50 BKH Nambawan and BKH Nangol Noble. Nice and heavy, and euphoric.

I've been drinking this combo for quite some time now. I think my next purchase will be something different just to try
new/untried kavas. Always wanted to try Squanch, for one. BKH also has some new/different ones I'd like to try.

SelfBiasResistor

Persist for Resistance!
Anything from BKH, Kava Time, Kavafied or TKR. They've consistently had good products over the past year. Until the price/quality issue stabilizes, I don't think I'll stray from them. Might give Real Kava another try though.

50/50 BKH Nambawan and BKH Nangol Noble. Nice and heavy, and euphoric.

I've been drinking this combo for quite some time now. I think my next purchase will be something different just to try
new/untried kavas. Always wanted to try Squanch, for one. BKH also has some new/different ones I'd like to try.
The last batch of Squanch waka I bought earlier in the year wasn't weak but it was buzzy and didn't hit the muscles or give me any sedation. It was however, very effective as an anti-inflammatory. I can only enjoy it mixed with a good Vanuatu. I enjoy Nangol/Nambawan mixed also, so I'd personally recommend the BKH Melo, KT Ambae or TKR Vanuatu. Stone has also been pretty good lately. Still seems interchangeable with Supreme, though, so not a great value.

I'm curious if anyone prefers Hankapi over Hiwa in the GHK heavyweight challenge. Hanakapi ain't bad though. And Hiwa used to be less nice a couple years back. But that's probably my taste changing.
The product quality/consistency has not been good for a while now and I've questioned him for years about it and have never gotten an answer. A few years ago, I liked the Hanakapi much more but subsequent batches weren't impressive. To be honest, I've given up on this vendor due to the quality, consistency, lack of information provided about the products/blending/growing conditions, lack of testing, the misleading/false advertising and other unethical activity.

Krunkaroo

Kava Enthusiast
Daily I drink about 30 grams through aluball method and 12 grams micronised so I'm no slouch in drinking. I did buy a whole bunch back then and it seems like a great call with the reduction in potency lately.

It amazes me that kava lasts that long in your pantry, I am lucky to make it a couple weeks. :) I also can't afford to buy it in the quantity I used to a couple years ago but even back then, I drank a lot.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
The new batch of Tikaram's Kava Tonga is distinctly better than the last batch. Much nicer taste and effects, and the grind looks and smells more classically Tongan, whereas the previous batch was more generic kava. I'm using it a lot to mix 1:1 with cheaper Fijian Wakas for light daytime drinking and it's pretty nice, actually, certainly quite acceptable.

Spud Murphy

Kava Curious
Hello everybody.
For the last week I've been drinking this at work at my break times instead of my usual tea or coffee, two level tablespoons of GHK Moi micro and two tablespoons of KWK concentrate in 10 onces of water. The concentrate seems to lessen the grittyness of the micro, anyone else noticed anything like this , anyway this mix leaves me feeling pretty good

recentreturn

Kava Enthusiast
Kava Time's Kadavu has lately been my favorite. Glad I stocked up a little, but starting to get worried about running out. Gonna experiment with cutting it with KWK's Vula Waka.

(P.S. Been rationing my Dokobana Vula since I only got 1/2 lb. Tried it again the other day and it VERY UNEXPECTEDLY put me cross-eyed after about 5 LEVEL tablespoons. I was totally fine, having had 2 tbs a little earlier. Decided to have just 3 more level tbs and then go about my business. 20 minutes later: boom, I could hardly see straight. I wasn't even aiming for a strong krunk!)