What's new

Requesting your help.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Hello Kavasseurs, @HeadHodge has been steadily working on putting together a master list of all kava products offered by the vendors we see here. Part of this master list is kava weight per level tablespoon.

I'm asking anyone with a gram accurate scale to scoop out one level tablespoon of kava, and weigh it. Afterwards, let us know what type of kava you had, and the weight here.

This will continue to keep our list of kava products up to date, and help those looking for kavas that might match their needs.

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
Luna Blend - 7.5 grams
Luna Borogu - 7.6 grams
Luna Lawena - 6.5 grams
Squanch Waka - 8.5 grams
Squanch Fiji Lawena - 8.2 grams
CK Lawena - 7.5 grams
GHK Hawaiian Blend - 8.5 grams
Kavafied Tonga Vava'u - 8 grams

Each weighed 3 different times and averaged out.

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
Luna Blend - 7.5 grams
Luna Borogu - 7.6 grams
Luna Lawena - 6.5 grams
Squanch Waka - 8.5 grams
Squanch Waka - 8.2 grams
CK Lawena - 7.5 grams
GHK Hawaiian Blend - 8.5 grams
Kavafied Tonga Vava'u - 8 grams

Each weighed 3 different times and averaged out.
Out of three times how much difference was there between measurements?

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
Out of three times how much difference was there between measurements?
.1-.3 difference, it's a subjective unit of measurement.

EDIT: Bits and pieces of root throw it off a bit and not all root in ground equally.

Last edited:

dino9832

Kava Enthusiast
I love going by weight. But on the road, I only have tablespoons. I guess I could get a pocket scale..lol.
One thing I've noticed, is that when you first receive a bag of new kava, it's sometimes densely packed.
I wonder if humidity has much of an effect?

I suppose weight is meaningful, but to a certain degree of accuracy. It's useful in comparing different brands of kava.
In @Winpig's list, there's as much as a 2 gram difference.

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
I love going by weight. But on the road, I only have tablespoons. I guess I could get a pocket scale..lol.
One thing I've noticed, is that when you first receive a bag of new kava, it's sometimes densely packed.
I wonder if humidity has much of an effect?

I suppose weight is meaningful, but to a certain degree of accuracy. It's useful in comparing different brands of kava.
In @Winpig's list, there's as much as a 2 gram difference.
It is a good point, on those kavas that had a significant weight difference, I actually weighed them about 5 more times out of personal interest. Also bear in mind "medium grind" is not all created equally, I noticed some are finely ground where others are a bit more course, that will affect density and therefore weight.

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
It is a good point, on those kavas that had a significant weight difference, I actually weighed them about 5 more times out of personal interest. Also bear in mind "medium grind" is not all created equally, I noticed some are finely ground where others are a bit more course, that will affect density and therefore weight.
So would you say weight/volume correlates to grind density?

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
These are 2 different Lawenas, from different vendors. Judging solely on appearance. Here is one tablespoon of each.

EDIT: There is a 1 gram discrepancy between these two.

Last edited:

Nova Cain

Seeking the edges
Hmm... This is a cool post. I don't weigh, but it's interesting to see how different the different strains are...

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Americans talking about grams and kgs and not using weird cup measurements? This is something new ;-)
We're slowly coming around. It's going to be a while before we let go of the whole "12 inches to a foot" thing. We're pretty fond of miles too.

This whole weight survey is so the average kava drinker can get a round number of what they're consuming based on the common tablespoon. You will all have access to this information as soon as we get a few more bits of data in place. @HeadHodge has an awesome page that displays all the kavas, chemotypes, weight and other info. Coming very soon.