What's new

"Rooted"

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Alright, so now that we've got a few more Australian members I need to bring up a funny subject.

So I was informed in one of our zoom chats that a certain term we use often may mean something a bit different to those down under.

Some kava drinkers have gravitated towards the term "rooted" to describe being under the influence of kava's effects. Personally I thought this term was fantastic, however it seems it may mean something else, lol.

Australian members, what do you call it to be under the influence of kava?

Sunset_squash67

Aus kava enthusiast
Yeah rooted definitely wouldn't fly here lol. Krunk is too American and reminds me of Lil Jon.

We need some creative thinkers in this thread

kavakarma

Kava Enthusiast
We've always got kavafied to go back to. What else? Late at night, after my third or fourth shell of kava, I feel beshelled. There's a start. Something to do with having drank the kava, so, emptied a tanoa, shells deep in the grog, two strainers to the wind....

Sunset_squash67

Aus kava enthusiast
We've always got kavafied to go back to. What else? Late at night, after my third or fourth shell of kava, I feel beshelled. There's a start. Something to do with having drank the kava, so, emptied a tanoa, shells deep in the grog, two strainers to the wind....
Shells deep in the grog...definitely the most Aussie! Great one @kavakarma

Nodsey

Kava Enthusiast
Alright, so now that we've got a few more Australian members I need to bring up a funny subject.

So I was informed in one of our zoom chats that a certain term we use often may mean something a bit different to those down under.

Some kava drinkers have gravitated towards the term "rooted" to describe being under the influence of kava's effects. Personally I thought this term was fantastic, however it seems it may mean something else, lol.

Australian members, what do you call it to be under the influence of kava?
I mean... it still works to be honest!

the_wilderness

Kava Enthusiast
I dunno. I've been hanging around the forums long enough that rooted, for me, is firmly established in kavatalk.
At least where I live (in the South) rooted is equally used to describe exhaustion. I can hold all three and it's dependent on context ;)

Crunked

Proselytizer
Rooted in Australia can have two semi-polite meanings: exhausted (e.g. I worked 18 hours straight and I was rooted); or ruined, kaput, (e.g. I left my hat out in the rain and it was rooted. The non-polite meaning is the past tense of sexual intercourse. Bill rooted Jill.

Phil spent 3 months on a navy ship and he was dying for a root. Lil wanted Phil to give her a root.

Also used in rhyming slang: Bill gave Jill a Wellington boot.

It can also be an insult to tell another Australian "to get rooted", meaning f*ck off or f*ck you.

For an Australian to tell another Australian he/she really wants to get rooted could cause a serious misunderstanding. :eek:

Last edited:

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Same here, this notion of what is and isn't allowed to be said is insane!
I wouldn't necessarily say "allowed" more like "appropriate" in this context. Just trying to prevent the embarrassment of sending someone off to OZ saying things like "Let's get rooted, mate". ;)

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
What would Malcolm Douglas say? That will do it for me. I just discovered this Australian legend and have a few weeks of programmes to watch.

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
I wouldn't necessarily say "allowed" more like "appropriate" in this context. Just trying to prevent the embarrassment of sending someone off to OZ saying things like "Let's get rooted, mate". ;)
I am willing to adapt. Sometimes I have to remind myself not to take any these issues too seriously. ;)

PurimGrogger

Because "Shell Silverstein" was already taken
Around 20 years ago, I spent some time in Australia (from where I ventured briefly to Fiji and had my first root, I mean kava) visiting a friend who was studying at the University of New South Wales. His name was Randy, and very politely like the Canadian he is, he would introduce himself to all types of people at pubs, parties, etc... "Hi, I'm Randy!" Similar OZ language mixup.

Zaphod

Kava Lover
Well now I can't wait to bring my wife her daily kava and ask if she wants to get rooted...;). It would certainly make this cold Friday more enjoyable!

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Well now I can't wait to bring my wife her daily kava and ask if she wants to get rooted...;). It would certainly make this cold Friday more enjoyable!
I'm just super impressed that you bring your wife her daily kava. You're a gentleman and a scholar.