What's new

Kava Fact of the Day Scientists Condemn BfArM's decision to ban kava.

Jacob Bula

Nobody
I naturally view kava as a food, and not a medicine, even if my use of kava could be considered medicinal. I'm hesitant to bring it up, I think cannabis is a great example here, many people where I live consider it a medicine. Say, two out of three people claim that. I say it's a food. In fact, medicine should begin with our diet in any event. That plant has an equal number of uses in the kitchen as it does in medicine. And kava does too! Anyone who uses coffee as a stimulant is using coffee medicinally, and anyone who likes the flavor of the bitter coffee bean brew is enjoying it as a food and beverage. If you are in both categories, you swing your position to err towards what you are supporting at the time, whether it be for or against. it will balance! I'm sure of this.

I appreciate that Dennis McKenna took the time to use the phrase, herbal remedies. Was his brother Terence? Today I learned that Dennis McKenna is still living.
@kavakarma Sorry, I'm hijacking this thread with McKenna fandom-- and will keep doing so, because I can't help it. If you are interested in the McKenna boys read Dennis McKenna's Brotherhood of the Screaming Abyss , its a crowdfunded book about Terry and Denny.

kasa_balavu

Yaqona Dina
Well they had signed a document, thats nice, but there is still the process of legalizing it, Australia has signed its still not legal there?
Codex Alimentarius standards aren't legally binding agreements and there isn't really any "signing".

If a country decides to develop legislation and/or standards for kava, they can choose to adopt all or parts of the Codex regional standard.

Australia of course, already has a kava standard that they share with New Zealand (AFAIK all their food standards are shared with NZ). We just need them to lift their restrictions on kava imports. This is very very likely to happen by the end of the year.