What's new

Sleep

kl.kavashmava

Kava Curious
Well, I had a great sleep last night! I slept all the way through, with only 1 dream recall, and it was a pleasant one.  I used 4 tblsp. of Paradise Kava to 2 cups water. When I go  to bed I usually have an anxious heart, but last night it was very quiet...wow.  I felt good overall too~very calm mentally and physcially, but nothing in an extraordinary or wierd way.  It was like being in Heaven to experience that (smiley: happy) 

I might venture out to try 6 tblsp. to see if I get any increased benefit but considering what happened to me this morning I feel a bit shy. I had some left over variety Vanautu Kava from a local Herb store. There was 3 tblsp. left and I thought I would try using my new strainer bag with it, and see if it gives me any good effects. I thought I would try it one more time before I discarded it from my mind. Well, first of all it was really really horrid to drink. It tasted like terpentine with a really mouth numbing effect. In half an hour I started getting sick in my stomach, and the room started to turn. I got so dizzy.. My legs started to wobble and shake and my neck got really stiff. Needless to say,  I ended up getting so sick that I puked it all out. I was horrible and felt like I was poisoned. The thing that saved me was Colloidal Silver. I kept taking a teaspoon every half hour and thankfully I can say I am  recovered almost fully, although still tired. I will surely never try that one again as long as I live(smiley: eek)

Thank you Kapmcrunk on answering my question re: DHM.  I should do a little more research on Kava to understand it's properties better!

Sunnyhours and Krunkedout, I was thinking of emailing Nakamal @ home too, about lifting their shipping ban to Canada. I would still be interested in having both the Stone Kava and the Fijiian Kava if I could. and comparing them.  It's possible the company had a (few) bad experiences and decided upon that. In any case, as for the customs charges go, I recall getting billed from both USPS and UPS.. I think that Couriers do tend to charge more.. But whatever, I mean, I didn't pay any customs for the Paradise Kava, so it just seems very unfair(smiley: ohwell)

Buddhacide

Kava Enthusiast
I also went to great lengths to buy N@H products a while back. They basically ignored me. I still want to try their stuff but I'm in  no hurry to give them my money.

SunnyHours wrote:Hey Kavashmava!

I, too, am kinda pissed at N@H for straight up not shipping at all to Canada...

I've contacted them telling them that if they'd use USPS/Canada Post for shipping instead of popular courrier services (Fedex, UPS, EMS).

Never heard back from them.

If we ever did get customs fees from USPS it's minimal something like 5$, compared to the equivalent value of your package when using Fedex or UPS.

I order a LOT of stuff online, and the few times I used Fedex I had 75% customs fees, 102% customs fees and another somewhere around 150% the value of my package.

The 3rd time it happened I said "Never Again!". I swore a lot over those bastard courrier service that are "faster".

Purolator also lost one of my suitcase and never gave me a dime for it Either! I had to buy all my winter clothes over again. Man I was pissed!

Haven't paid a single dime for USPS Customs yet. That's on over 30 orders

kl.kavashmava

Kava Curious
Thanks Buddhacide..I won't be emailing them, then.  I  lost interest for now because I purchased some Fu'u to try, instead (smiley: happy).

kl.SunnyHours

Kava Curious
Yeah, Buddhacide, we're pretty much on the same level there.

I'm not going to go out of my way for a company who can't even do basic international shipping, no matter how interesting there product is.

And I certainly will not pay more for a company that will receive and reship it to me.

They also ship to a lot of countries that are known for fraud but yet Canada, for some non-sens reason decides to outright rule out Canada.

Because "a lot of Canadians weren't happy with the customs charges". If it's marked as a gift and it's shipped USPS you should get minimal fees (something like 5$ brokerage + taxes on the value of the item).

It's just pissing me off to be segregated against so easily. As if you can't put a note saying "we are not responsible for any fees that may accompany some of our packages, if you deny the package

we will NOT issue a refund, and we will use the products ourselves..." or something like that hehe

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Sadly even if they said they won't refund you if you refuse the package paypal (if you pay through it) requires them to refund if the product isn't received.

I'm also finding out that they are notoriously difficult to get a hold of. I'm not sure if they're going through some sort of "changing of the guards" or re-structuring. Jeff Bowman in the past has nearly instantly replied to my e-mails. Albeit none of them were for a service problem they were always quite swift. Something's changed I just don't know what it is.

Prince Philip

Duke of Edinborogu
Kapmcrunk said:
I'm also finding out that they are notoriously difficult to get a hold of. I'm not sure if they're going through some sort of "changing of the guards" or re-structuring. Jeff Bowman in the past has nearly instantly replied to my e-mails. Albeit none of them were for a service problem they were always quite swift. Something's changed I just don't know what it is.
I noticed there's not a strong presence in their Facebook fan page.  The news section of their page also hasn't updated since 2011, despite the nominal redesign.

mos3z

Kava Enthusiast
kavashmava I recommend Boroguru from Bula Kava House, cheaper than stone and for me i like it better from sedating qualities. I havent checked if they ship to canada.

your story of the room spinning can happen with a lot of kava depending on the kind of strain you are drinking and the amount you are drinking. The trick is finding out what is the right amount to make you feel good but not go that far.

for reference on amounts, i mix 1 cup of kava to 2 cups of water, but I only drink 3-4 ounces, and slam it, dont sip. did anyone talk to you about reverse tolerance? its also important to drink it on an empty stomach.

kl.kavashmava

Kava Curious
mos3z said:
kavashmava I recommend Boroguru from Bula Kava House, cheaper than stone and for me i like it better from sedating qualities. I havent checked if they ship to canada.
your story of the room spinning can happen with a lot of kava depending on the kind of strain you are drinking and the amount you are drinking. The trick is finding out what is the right amount to make you feel good but not go that far.
for reference on amounts, i mix 1 cup of kava to 2 cups of water, but I only drink 3-4 ounces, and slam it, dont sip. did anyone talk to you about reverse tolerance? its also important to drink it on an empty stomach.
Hey  Mos(smiley: happy)

I actually just bought some Fu'u from the Bula House. Have you tried it, and is it good? I saw a few past postings from people praising the Fu'u.  I did see the Boroguru at their site, too, but for whatever reason, I judged the Fu'u to be more sedating ?     I hope I didn't make a mistake with the Fu'u, because I just bought some Paradise and some Kona, by the way. It's all getting so expensive. 

To be honest, though, since my purchase of Fu'u, I've been seriously turned off by kava, and was actually thinking of returning it.. First of all the kava I had on Saturday, scared the wits out of me. It was so so  horrible. It lasted for 2 days, if you can believe it .  

After that, when I started feeling better, I went back to my paradise kava, and even though it helped me ( 4 tblsp to 2 cups water), I found I was so tired with a terrible hangover and headache that lasted all day.So I've been pretty miserable.. 

Last night I decided to try only 2 tblsp of kava to 2 cups of water. It didn't work as well, so I don't know.. I feel like quitting. hehehe  I guess I shouldn't give up so easily, but kava can really make you feel bad bad bad... Don't know if I want to keep experiementing..

To answer your questions ~

Yes, I did drink my kava on an empty stomach.

I read a bit about reverse tolerance on this site, but not really sure.

It sounds like you make a very potent liquid extract with yours ! I could try that, but I don't think I can afford 1 cup of Kava. How many days or times that it last for you?  

Lastly as a side note, I did find someting quite astounding about Kava experience this last week.. When I'vee been doing my Yoga, I have noticed that my stretches are like 50% better.. I've become this, like, gumby and it's amazing. It just goes to show how well Kava can relax muscles !!

Thanks   (smiley: smile)

krunkedout

Kava Lover
kavashmava said:
mos3z said:
Hey  Mos(smiley: happy)

I actually just bought some Fu'u from the Bula House. Have you tried it, and is it good? I saw a few past postings from people praising the Fu'u.  I did see the Boroguru at their site, too, but for whatever reason, I judged the Fu'u to be more sedating ?     I hope I didn't make a mistake with the Fu'u, because I just bought some Paradise and some Kona, by the way. It's all getting so expensive. 

To be honest, though, since my purchase of Fu'u, I've been seriously turned off by kava, and was actually thinking of returning it.. First of all the kava I had on Saturday, scared the wits out of me. It was so so  horrible. It lasted for 2 days, if you can believe it .  

After that, when I started feeling better, I went back to my paradise kava, and even though it helped me ( 4 tblsp to 2 cups water), I found I was so tired with a terrible hangover and headache that lasted all day.So I've been pretty miserable.. 

Last night I decided to try only 2 tblsp of kava to 2 cups of water. It didn't work as well, so I don't know.. I feel like quitting. hehehe  I guess I shouldn't give up so easily, but kava can really make you feel bad bad bad... Don't know if I want to keep experiementing..

To answer your questions ~

Yes, I did drink my kava on an empty stomach.

I read a bit about reverse tolerance on this site, but not really sure.

It sounds like you make a very potent liquid extract with yours ! I could try that, but I don't think I can afford 1 cup of Kava. How many days or times that it last for you?  

Lastly as a side note, I did find someting quite astounding about Kava experience this last week.. When I'vee been doing my Yoga, I have noticed that my stretches are like 50% better.. I've become this, like, gumby and it's amazing. It just goes to show how well Kava can relax muscles !!

Thanks   (smiley: smile)
make sure you are hydrated really well. Kava will dehydrate you and can lead to a hangover.

mos3z

Kava Enthusiast
Hey Kavash, yeah, Fu'u is nice, but their boroguru has the most body effect. I did a mix of the two that was very relaxing too. Dont get turned off from kava until you try a few different strains first, each one can have completely different effects on you. That first one you tried might have been a "tudei" that can last two days and for some people its way too strong and nauseating.

Like Krunked said, make sure you drink lots of water, kava is a diuretic. And if you get too nauseous it could be a sign of dehydration.

As far as the strength I make my kava, i make 16 ounces and drink anywhere from 3-6 ounces a night, but usually it lasts 3-4 days. I wouldnt recommend this strength for you until you figure out what works best for you, and even then this strength can be challenging, because the effect can vary depending on different factors such as how much you have eaten it can be easy to drink to much. sometimes 4 ounces is perfect, sometimes i get way too krunk.

regarding reverse tolerance, most people have to drink kava for 2-3 weeks before they start feeling a noticeable effect, you might be one of the lucky ones that doesnt have to do this.

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
I've been drinking some Nakamal @ Home products the last two days and have had some insanely vivid dreams so far.

kl.kavashmava

Kava Curious
mos3z said:
Hey Kavash, yeah, Fu'u is nice, but their boroguru has the most body effect. I did a mix of the two that was very relaxing too. Dont get turned off from kava until you try a few different strains first, each one can have completely different effects on you. That first one you tried might have been a "tudei" that can last two days and for some people its way too strong and nauseating.

Like Krunked said, make sure you drink lots of water, kava is a diuretic. And if you get too nauseous it could be a sign of dehydration.

As far as the strength I make my kava, i make 16 ounces and drink anywhere from 3-6 ounces a night, but usually it lasts 3-4 days. I wouldnt recommend this strength for you until you figure out what works best for you, and even then this strength can be challenging, because the effect can vary depending on different factors such as how much you have eaten it can be easy to drink to much. sometimes 4 ounces is perfect, sometimes i get way too krunk.

regarding reverse tolerance, most people have to drink kava for 2-3 weeks before they start feeling a noticeable effect, you might be one of the lucky ones that doesnt have to do this.
___-__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Hi Mos!

Thanks for your advice. It's funny I was about to come to this forum and say that I have given up on Kava, and here you are telling me not to give up! (smiley: laugh)
But seriously, as far as the Paradise Kava goes, I have tried all this week and last and I just cannot find a dosage that is agreeable to me. It's either/or. It's either too weak and I don't feel the effects, or it works reasonably well at relaxing my muscles and mind, but I wake up the next day and I have a horrible, horrible hangover. It feels like somebody is sitting on top of my head and my whole body feels like a sack of mashed potatoes.  I have tried the Extract and in fact tried a bit again last night and I had several very bad nightmares (almost evil) and yet I still had  anxiety which prevented me from
sleeping.

So, I dunno. I'm thinking Kava is just not for me(smiley: frown)

OK, so I also have another review..    I also got some Kona Kava 84% paste, and also the capsules.  It was a waste of money, just like everybody says here. Of course, I didn't know and purchased it before I found this site. It was the first Kava website to come up and it was my fault for not doing more research. In any case, I  tried the paste numerous times, and didn't feel a thing from it. Not a thing. It sure does burn or numb my  tongue, though, but little else.. One time I did get very nauseous afterwards. I swore  that was the last time ! As you say, perhaps I was dehyrdated that day, but interestingly  I have never been nauseous on Paradise Kava.

Thanks about the reverse tolerance !   I have always been a sensitive person to things.. I usually only need a little bit compared to someone else so I think my reactions make sense. It seems everyone else is doing better than me.

In any case, I have Fu'u on the way.. Thanks for your review. I wish I had at least, bought the Boroguru now.  But I am willing to try the Fu'u, and see how it affects me. I don't feel very optimistic but I won't  close my mind entirely to it.  I'll be brave (hehe) and I'll post back when I try it.

I'm going back to my Inositol and B6 for now. They help me a lot for anxiety and insomnia, and without any side effects. (smiley: happy)  Have any of you guys tried these ?

mos3z

Kava Enthusiast
i used to take inositol before kava. worked great at first then stopped working after a couple months. The best thing i have taken aside from kava for anxiety is l-theanine (sun theanine) that stuff is awesome. was almost like a Valium for me as far as relaxing and knocked down panic attacks as they were happening.

Something else to consider is herbs for your adrenals, my adrenals were all out of wack and it was causing anxiety. I went to a naturopath and she helped tremendously, i highly recommend a naturopath they heal the body with herbs, vitamins, and diet. Worked much better for me than a typical doctor and i'm all about all natural cures.

In my experience for adrenals rhodiola, ashwaganda, licorice, and ginseng is helpful in healing. I think gaia makes one called adrenal health or something like that. but go to a naturopath and they can tell u more.

kl.kavashmava

Kava Curious
mos3z said:
i used to take inositol before kava. worked great at first then stopped working after a couple months. The best thing i have taken aside from kava for anxiety is l-theanine (sun theanine) that stuff is awesome. was almost like a Valium for me as far as relaxing and knocked down panic attacks as they were happening.
Something else to consider is herbs for your adrenals, my adrenals were all out of wack and it was causing anxiety. I went to a naturopath and she helped tremendously, i highly recommend a naturopath they heal the body with herbs, vitamins, and diet. Worked much better for me than a typical doctor and i'm all about all natural cures.
In my experience for adrenals rhodiola, ashwaganda, licorice, and ginseng is helpful in healing. I think gaia makes one called adrenal health or something like that. but go to a naturopath and they can tell u more.
Hi Moz,

That is very interesting about your inositol experience. How much were you taking?  I take anywhere between 4 - 8,000mg. (1 teaspoon - 1 tablespoon)

I have tried l-theanine too, but unfortunately, I didn't have the same experience as you ! I'd be interested to try it again !  Perhaps I wasn't taking enough?  Do you remember how much you took ?

That's great you had success with a naturopath, locally.  I have tried several, and a Orthomolec. doc , and none of them knew how to treat me.  I ended up working with a Dr in Arizona who has associates around N. America. It's all about balancing body chemistry and mineral ratios. But it takes a while to get the body chemistry balanced, so Kava seemed like it could currently help me to sleep and end my panic  That's why I have AF. Anyways, glad you found something at Gaia to help you. The  stimulatory herbs you mentioned  actually make me worse. I think it depends on whether one has too low or too high coritsol, and definitely a person can switch between the two.

Well, anyways, I'll see how the Fu'u goes. Should get it next week.(smiley: happy)

kl.kavashmava

Kava Curious
Mo, well, I guess you are gone, but if you ever come back here, I just want to thank you so much for bringing up the L-Theanine. I got myself some, and tried it this time it at a higher dose (1,000mg), after doing some googling on it.  It's amazing, and personally for me,  it exceeds everything that I have ever tried for anxiety (smiley: smile)  Thank you  (smiley: happy)

mos3z

Kava Enthusiast
Hey Kavash, sorry for the delay.

I went out to the kitchen to find the doses and forgot to come back and post :-(

Thats awesome it is working for you, it also help me sleep nicely, i think i was taking around 1000 mg

for the inositol I think i was taking a tablespoon of powder which looks like it works out to like 8400 mg if i saw the dosage correctly.

the inositol sometimes hurt my stomach though

kl.Dubkava

Kava Curious
I recently bought some suntheanine also. It's pretty good for calming the mind even at a low dose. Also good for combatting the negative effects of caffeine.

kl.Dubkava

Kava Curious
I recently bought some suntheanine also. It's pretty good for calming the mind even at a low dose. Also good for combatting the negative effects of caffeine.

kl.NDG

Kava Enthusiast
With the inositol you should titrate up in dosage, it is known for GI issues. It has serotonergic effects (sensitization) and is great for anxiety.