What's new

Solomon Islands

AndrewG

Kava Curious
Hello kava forum members,

I decided to go to a kava bar instead of making my own. They had one called Solomon. I asked what is solomon? And the server told me kava from the Solomon islands. As far as I know there are no cultivars grown from Solomon islands. What I understand is that in some of the Polynesian areas like Sikiana, Rennell and Bellona may grow kava or consume it. Yet there are no specific cultivars from this specific archipelago. I would think that they bring it in from Vanuatu. During my research in Vanuatu I never thought to ask about this. if I am wrong could someone please provide some information about this?

Thanks

Andrew

Jacob Bula

Nobody
Didn't all the cuttings originate from Vanuatu?

I found this page on the KWK site. It seems like no one really knows for sure, but that theorists suggest that the majority of all cuttings came from Vanuatu due to the huge variety of cultivars on the islands. The page does not have specific references. Are there any good links to actual books or academic journals (historical or anthropological) regarding kava?

My minor in college was Anthropology, but in school I was more interested in the Mazatec Native Americans.

Last edited:

AlexisReal

Kava Enthusiast
Hello kava forum members,

I decided to go to a kava bar instead of making my own. They had one called Solomon. I asked what is solomon? And the server told me kava from the Solomon islands. As far as I know there are no cultivars grown from Solomon islands. What I understand is that in some of the Polynesian areas like Sikiana, Rennell and Bellona may grow kava or consume it. Yet there are no specific cultivars from this specific archipelago. I would think that they bring it in from Vanuatu. During my research in Vanuatu I never thought to ask about this. if I am wrong could someone please provide some information about this?

Thanks

Andrew
I tried two different Solomon kavas myself- one from Nakamal@home, and Solomon Headhunter from kavadepot.

I know the distinct, common aroma of the vanuatu kavas.

As far as a I was aware, Solomon Kava originates directly from the Solomon islands.

It is different, IME, to Vanuatu, Togan and Fijian.

Only one time I tried Hawaian.

But to me Solomon kava has it's own character. Generally heady, not exactly euphoric like heady Vanuatus and the stronger Tongans. More mood brightening and sociable, feelgood factor.

So not Vanuatu imported in my belief. Kavadepot Solomon Headhunter, for me, lutshines N@H Solomon, in quality, taste and potency.

Very uplifting, non jittery heady and sociable kavas IME with mininmal sedation.

Edit- maybe the Solomon Islands did a little cross breeding at some stage.

Last edited:

AlexisReal

Kava Enthusiast
@Henry is definitely the guy for that question. I believe cuttings made their way to Solomons by way of Van, but he'd be the best for that bit of history.

Edit: Actually, maybe @Alia or @Gourmet Hawaiian Kava may know as well.
Haha, funny you say that Kapm. Enormous respect to those guys you mentioned for their extensive, dependable lnowledge they so generously and thoroughly share with us.

Maybe....if Solomon kava crops originated from Vanuatu? Different soil comp and climate leads to a different subjective experience of the Soloman kavas.

In particular, both Solomons I tried- Nakamal and Kavadepot, are really golden to the eye.

All vanuatus I have seen mostly I think are more of a pale gray, Kelai being lighter, towards yellow/baige.

So I'm not sure on this one? I just know I noticed clear differences vs vanuatus, based on effects, appearance, taste and potency. Not as knockout- even headier vanuatu can be quite heavy for me.

Solomon is good day time, board meeting, kids to school stuff lol!

Very interested in the final word from the above kava gurus you quote for whom I have all the respect and gratitide for what I am continually picking up from them.

Last edited:

AlexisReal

Kava Enthusiast
Didn't all the cuttings originate from Vanuatu?

I found this page on the KWK site. It seems like no one really knows for sure, but that theorists suggest that the majority of all cuttings came from Vanuatu due to the huge variety of cultivars on the islands. The page does not have specific references. Are there any good links to actual books or academic journals (historical or anthropological) regarding kava?

My minor in college was Anthropology, but in school I was more interested in the Mazatec Native Americans.
Maybe then, the growers in Solomon selected less common Vanuatu Cultovars, which together with climate and soil biodiversity differences are the result of what we know as Solomon's kava's now.

Good digging though. I can see you take accurate info in kavas with no pinch of salt fair credit.

AndrewG

Kava Curious
The Solomons got cuttings from Vanuatu in the 1980s and also a bit more recently. they grow Borogu, Melomelo and reportedly also some tudei. Locals rarely drink it so it is all for export. If the importer tests the kava etc it should be similar to decent Vanuatu staples
This is what I'm thinking. I was looking up the research and did not see any native cultivars. Thank you AlexisReal for your thoughts. If they are growing some varieties in Solomon Islands I'm wondering if there has been any mutations that have been capitalized on due to slightly different growing conditions and climate. I was under the impression that they received cuttings from Vanuatu and if it is grown as I know it's not usually consumed then this is what they are selling such as melomelo and borogu, etc.

kasa_balavu

Yaqona Dina
If they are growing some varieties in Solomon Islands I'm wondering if there has been any mutations that have been capitalized on due to slightly different growing conditions and climate.
From the photos I've seen, the conditions are almost identical... just a bit warmer.
And even though kava has been grown there since the 80's, they only started growing it commercially in the past 10 years. My understanding is that before then, there was barely any grown at all.

AlexisReal

Kava Enthusiast
This is what I'm thinking. I was looking up the research and did not see any native cultivars. Thank you AlexisReal for your thoughts. If they are growing some varieties in Solomon Islands I'm wondering if there has been any mutations that have been capitalized on due to slightly different growing conditions and climate. I was under the impression that they received cuttings from Vanuatu and if it is grown as I know it's not usually consumed then this is what they are selling such as melomelo and borogu, etc.
Yeah I don't have any knowlege on this, which sometimes can be useful by leaving us unbiased essentially.

So I was just speaking from Experience.

There is no way I think I would mistake the distinctive nature, taste, smell and effect profile of a Tongan Kava for a Vanuatu one, and vice versa.

In the same way, the Solomon Island Kavas I have tried were equally distinctive to all the Vanuatus I have had.

One particular is the pronounced golden shade. As well as lighter effect profile.

But then seeing @Henry 's comments above, I have never knowingly tried Borogu Kava, so it's possible that Borogu made up much of the Solomon's I tried, maybe is more golden too, but I can't say.

Without any education or background knowlege though, purely subjectively, the Solomon Kava I have experienced I regard in it's own category, like Vanuatus with thier unmistakeable Vanuatu scent, and the heavy Fijians and smokey Savusavu's, only one time I tried Hawaian Kava.

So I just assumed, based on that first hand experience, that it was effectively different kava to Vanuatu, across the board. There is definitely something different about it anyway.

But maybe that is it. Possibly it's specific Borogu cultivars from Vanuatu with less of a peppery scent, a golden colour, and gentler effects.

nabanga

Kava Enthusiast
I lived in Vanuatu in the 90's and visited the Solomons several times - Guadalcanal up to Western Province & Choisel. Not only did I never see kava, but nobody I spoke to drank it or knew where to get it. They thought of it as a Vanuatu thing. The relocated I-Kiribati in the Solomons chew betel nut, and the Solomon islanders drink Solbrew.
Planting in the Solomons really got underway in large quantities when the international boom grew 10 or so years ago.

AndrewG

Kava Curious
From the photos I've seen, the conditions are almost identical... just a bit warmer.
And even though kava has been grown there since the 80's, they only started growing it commercially in the past 10 years. My understanding is that before then, there was barely any grown at all.
That is interesting, my research is on knowledge retention using kava varietal diversity. During my research, I often wondered why certain cultivars were favored and others just fall off the map. Well, particularly in Vanuatu with high varietal diversity. There are some wonderful drinkers but lesser-known or become confused being the same cultivar between dialects and islands. I know growing is one aspect for the farmer (if it is easier they'll choose it) and demand is the drink being cheaper and more tolerable. Many other factors of course but I wonder why they choose to ignore it with it being there. I suppose it is a capitalistic venture that caused a spike in interests rather than tradition or consumption interests.

AndrewG

Kava Curious
Yeah I don't have any knowlege on this, which sometimes can be useful by leaving us unbiased essentially.

So I was just speaking from Experience.

There is no way I think I would mistake the distinctive nature, taste, smell and effect profile of a Tongan Kava for a Vanuatu one, and vice versa.

In the same way, the Solomon Island Kavas I have tried were equally distinctive to all the Vanuatus I have had.

One particular is the pronounced golden shade. As well as lighter effect profile.

But then seeing @Henry 's comments above, I have never knowingly tried Borogu Kava, so it's possible that Borogu made up much of the Solomon's I tried, maybe is more golden too, but I can't say.

Without any education or background knowlege though, purely subjectively, the Solomon Kava I have experienced I regard in it's own category, like Vanuatus with thier unmistakeable Vanuatu scent, and the heavy Fijians and smokey Savusavu's, only one time I tried Hawaian Kava.

So I just assumed, based on that first hand experience, that it was effectively different kava to Vanuatu, across the board. There is definitely something different about it anyway.

But maybe that is it. Possibly it's specific Borogu cultivars from Vanuatu with less of a peppery scent, a golden colour, and gentler effects.
Subjectivity is welcome man! I am not saying that you are wrong, it would have to be tested of course. That said, where you consumed the Solomon kava was that in Solomon or a similar place you have tried the others such as Vanuatu varieties? I ask because I am thinking the environment can influence slightly what we taste, feel, and even the amount consumed. My subjectivity is that when in Vanuatu what I drank in the kava bars vs the nakamal's was different yet very similar there were definitely nuances in the experiences that felt like the varieties were different. In fact, the growing conditions matter, and the same variety I have had in Port Vila as opposed to Pentecost was different who knows where the kava came from in Vila, of course, I always asked. I remember the secluded locations better and where the kava was grown. In Vila it could be mixed with tudey varieties very easily. In fact, most distributors were mixing some in, if it was not them, then it was the farmer who did this to meet kilo requirements. The subtle things about kava are very interesting and I would love to learn more about any Solomon types because in this location the notion of kava is new to me.

Last edited:

AndrewG

Kava Curious
I lived in Vanuatu in the 90's and visited the Solomons several times - Guadalcanal up to Western Province & Choisel. Not only did I never see kava, but nobody I spoke to drank it or knew where to get it. They thought of it as a Vanuatu thing. The relocated I-Kiribati in the Solomons chew betel nut, and the Solomon islanders drink Solbrew.
Planting in the Solomons really got underway in large quantities when the international boom grew 10 or so years ago.
Yes, my friend and fellow researcher who studies in Solomon mention the areas I mentioned above for locations that kava may be due to more Polynesian influence. I would suspect as you say, that it is not common and or well known, or known at all in most locations there. I wonder though if they have selected upon any mutations since starting to grow it? I would also like to one day go visit and see what's going on with this there.

AlexisReal

Kava Enthusiast
Subjectivity is welcome man! I am not saying that you are wrong, it would have to be tested of course. That said, where you consumed the Solomon kava was that in Solomon or a similar place you have tried the others such as Vanuatu varieties? I ask because I am thinking the environment can influence slightly what we taste, feel, and even the amount consumed. My subjectivity is that when in Vanuatu what I drank in the kava bars vs the nakamal's was different yet very similar there were definitely nuances in the experiences that felt like the varieties were different. In fact, the growing conditions matter, and the same variety I have had in Port Vila as opposed to Pentecost was different who knows where the kava came from in Vila, of course, I always asked. I remember the secluded locations better and where the kava was grown. In Vila it could be mixed with tudey varieties very easily. In fact, most distributors were mixing some in, if it was not them, then it was the farmer who did this to meet kilo requirements. The subtle things about kava are very interesting and I would love to learn more about any Solomon types because in this location the notion of kava is new to me.
Hello there. Sorry for the lag, had legit OG Flu nearly 4 weeks now. Identical to all my past brushes with it years ago, exactly 6 week life cycle every time, based in the actual lymphatic system.

Just about doing alright though, just incredibly exhausted.

Okay I'll just be dead honest, and I am no authority on Kava as a mere 13 months daily drinker.

But Im quite particular with the details, and natrally adept at observing the minor or major differences between things.

I have shopped around widely, tried to support lots of terrific different retailers equally.

I have had numerous high quality Tongan Kavas, from different sources. Each different admittedly, but they all shared similar traits- effects obviously, variable potency of course, but in particular- scent, and moreso- actual shade!

When I think...Tongan Kava. Honesrly the first thing which pops into my head is that particular mild grey shade of the tongan kavas, it can be lighter or darker but still never looks to me like all of the Vanuatu kavas I have seen so far.

There is no way I think I would mistake unlabelled tongan kava for kava from Vanuatu Islands by scent and appearance before even tasting and feeling.

Similarly there is something unique and unmistakable about just about all of the Vanuatu kava I have tried so far which makes it easily distinguishable from the other sources.

Fijian Kava, similarly has it's own unique odor, shade, feeling.

I only tried those two different Solomon Island kavas- N@H and Kavadepot Solomons Headhunter.

I had no idea about Solomon kava originating from Vanuatu then. So I approached it with tabula rasa.

In the same way I describe above, the Solomon Kavas displayed their own unique appearance and feel- particularly the real goldeness of the shade. Like, I distinguished it easily from Vanuatu, Fiji, and Tongan Kava.

But I don't know the reason. I suggested climate/soil, and maybe just certain Vanuatu cultivars, many of which I am yet to try (some Bir Kar is en route from Henry!!)

That's all I can offer. Oh, except haha- no, only ever had kava in my home country. I can"t travel at all. Would be nice. Maybe one day.

Last edited:

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
I can only repeat the above based on what I have read and heard since I have been drinking kava but one point worth mentioning is that although most of the strains come from Vanuatu when they are grown on the Solomon's Islands they retain potency but yet lose a lot of the pepperiness of the taste. I can still taste a borogu a mile off but it's just not as bitter.

AlexisReal

Kava Enthusiast
I can only repeat the above based on what I have read and heard since I have been drinking kava but one point worth mentioning is that although most of the strains come from Vanuatu when they are grown on the Solomon's Islands they retain potency but yet lose a lot of the pepperiness of the taste. I can still taste a borogu a mile off but it's just not as bitter.
Exactly Edward. I am yet to try Borogu. So I did consider, the golden Solomon Kavas could contain certain Vanuatu cultivars I still have not tried.

AndrewG

Kava Curious
I will have to go through my long list of vanuatu varieties and see if there are any comparisons to the Solomon ones although most of my data isn't on the drink profile but plant morphology and peoples thoughts. Honestly, most of them do not even make it to market anymore and usually for home use or just sitting there. The VU kava's can be complex and inconsistent yet the taste profile I think tries to be matched with that distinct peppery taste. Perhaps more or less tudey sometimes.