What's new

Southern NY/CT/NJ area

kavakarma

Kava Enthusiast
Good idea, although I don't have instagram account, I tried searching at the time. What I realized is many instagram users pump out several posts a day, so older stuff gets digitally buried. No worries, I'll make a yearly habit out of it. Perhaps this year I should leave four hours early and make a bowl out of ice to brew in?

Rand McNally

Kava Curious
Good idea, although I don't have instagram account, I tried searching at the time. What I realized is many instagram users pump out several posts a day, so older stuff gets digitally buried. No worries, I'll make a yearly habit out of it. Perhaps this year I should leave four hours early and make a bowl out of ice to brew in?
IG makes it insanely difficult to navigate w/out an acct. If I'm honest, I'm mostly over it, it's just Facebook Jr. and both are just data mining the hell out of everyone. Multiple posts per day get you better "coverage" (more people see your stuff). Sure, an ice bowl sounds pretty "cool" but I'll shit a blueberry if you roll up in an icemobile, and pull said ice bowl outta the trunk. Four hours in transit may impose some level of shrinkage/diminished capacity on an ice bowl. Just thought of something else: do ice cars have heat? Seems like the farther you go, the less car you'd have, but I'm no expert.

kavakarma

Kava Enthusiast
Oh wow, no doubt an ice car would lack heat and power. It could be towed or run with Flintstone power. I wonder if you knew the ice castle guys made a Dolorian from Back to the Future out of ice this year. It was spectacular! Whole castle behind. They used a chainsaw to carve it, I believe. Out of thick blocks of ice, so it was not the type of car you enter.

A couple years before this, there was an alien spaceship, two seater, rainbow color changer, fake controls carved out of ice. If you wanted you could put some wheels on that thing and run/roll it to your destination. It might help if the thing has a built in bowl so you can keep the bowl clean and brew kava out of it.

Also I am thinking no more than a mile transit. The point of going four hours early to the ice castle which is built in my town each winter, is to give the water time to freeze into a bowl thick enough to withstand kava brewing. The kava would end up being brewed at one unit above freezing temperature and absorbing ice so the ice you make the bowl of has to be sterile because it is for ingestion purpose. Place a catch underneath it, no need to waste kava if ice melts too quickly - that is why four hours, to get there, begin freezing a bowl, come and go and water it to thicken the ice, then use it for kava. Or more realistically to carve a bowl out of ice and spend hours doing that. The temperature has to be well below freezing day and night for weeks before the workers decide to create a castle anyways, and once it gets above freezing one time, they tear it down.

Last edited:

Zaphod

Kava Lover
Chris gave me the SIG roots, yes. They are very interesting. Fresh taste, subtle, almost like the taste is not there. All nice body relaxing, with none of the face, throat, or head effects that my uaual kavas give me. I think if we get together to drink kava, having a nice wooden tanoa would be a great addition to the ceremony.

Last winter I was sitting in our annual "castle made of ice" and brewing shells of kava for myself in there. A woman excitedly had me tell her instagram followers in a video recording that I'm from here and brewing kava at the ice castle. Wish I could find myself online, would love to read the comments that gathered. The ice castle itself would be a cool spot for a kava meeting.
Is that the ice castle on Saranac lake? A few years back we did a lake placid winter trip with the family and that was one of my kids favorite memories. That and of course the bobsled run. The whole week hovered around -10F which made every trip outside an adventure in how many layers one can put on and still move. Have not been back in the winter since then....usually spring and fall hiking/camping trips but it is on my list. Maybe this is the year...

Zaphod

Kava Lover
Yes! Come back and visit.
I am still hoping my work schedule opens up and I get a fall trip in....if it does I will send you a note. I love it up there. A little farther south I have got a cousin who lives in Warrensburg and runs rafting company inside the park. Always a good time. I think some people underestimate the adirondacks since the peaks are not has high as out west - but the hiking is some of the toughest and steepest around, and the waterways are unmatched. Inside the blue line one of my happy places!

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
I am still hoping my work schedule opens up and I get a fall trip in....if it does I will send you a note. I love it up there. A little farther south I have got a cousin who lives in Warrensburg and runs rafting company inside the park. Always a good time. I think some people underestimate the adirondacks since the peaks are not has high as out west - but the hiking is some of the toughest and steepest around, and the waterways are unmatched. Inside the blue line one of my happy places!
I went to hike up there 4-5 times throughout the Pandemic, the place is amazing enough that it makes me want to buy a house, with river or some sort of water rights, and move in permanently, in the near future.

I love the farms way up there, near WhiteFace, that's the area I've spent a lot of time in.

Zaphod

Kava Lover
I went to hike up there 4-5 times throughout the Pandemic, the place is amazing enough that it makes me want to buy a house, with river or some sort of water rights, and move in permanently, in the near future.

I love the farms way up there, near WhiteFace, that's the area I've spent a lot of time in.
Well that settles it then....we need to do a adk kava retreat/meet up.

kavakarma

Kava Enthusiast
How cool! I suggest any time of year. In cold season, a fire staves off cold and in bug season the fire (rather, smoke) deters biting flies. Bring lots of clothes and kava! Haha. I will be honored to host. I find that if it is out of range of me I may have challenges getting to it. I would rather host than miss out.

kavakarma

Kava Enthusiast
If midwinter, ooh boy, indoors is a wonderful treat, with firewood burning and yells of "Shut the door! You're letting all the heat out.", and delicious foods to pair with. Plenty of water, and early sundowns make it enjoyable for me to start winding down early. I start eating dinner at 4:00PM in midwinter, and get relaxing by 7:00pm unless I am at work. Even at work I feel it winding down by then. Nearly everything shuts down early in winter around here, so this is a fine opportunity to kava it up!

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
If midwinter, ooh boy, indoors is a wonderful treat, with firewood burning and yells of "Shut the door! You're letting all the heat out.", and delicious foods to pair with. Plenty of water, and early sundowns make it enjoyable for me to start winding down early. I start eating dinner at 4:00PM in midwinter, and get relaxing by 7:00pm unless I am at work. Even at work I feel it winding down by then. Nearly everything shuts down early in winter around here, so this is a fine opportunity to kava it up!
I love that area of the state and what you described is a perfect weekend in the Mountains for me!