What's new

Kava Preparation Squanch is an oily grog!

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
I have some of their waka on the way! Can’t wait, never tried it
Squanch is sui generis, or at least, it makes me shout "Sooooey!" I don't always have to have Squanch, but I always have to have Squanch. I swear that makes sense. I always drink squanch at least once a week. I'm sure there are perfectly good and serviceable weeks out there that don't involve Squanch, but I'm not interested in any of them. We all have rules to live by. 8 days is too long to go with out Squanch is one of mine.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
Well I got a lb on the way! Hoping it gets me to sleep!
Don't drink it too close to bedtime, though, or it could keep you up. Have a good strong sesh, but wind it down well before bedtime. IMO.. ymmv, but I think it's in that class of strong kavas that could paradoxically keep you awake at certain times. There are a few like that. I know it's counter-intuitive, but it happens. But have a strong sesh earlier on and by bed time you'll be happy to hit the sheets, I reckon.

Ben Thomas

Kava Enthusiast
Don't drink it too close to bedtime, though, or it could keep you up. Have a good strong sesh, but wind it down well before bedtime. IMO.. ymmv, but I think it's in that class of strong kavas that could paradoxically keep you awake at certain times. There are a few like that. I know it's counter-intuitive, but it happens. But have a strong sesh earlier on and by bed time you'll be happy to hit the sheets, I reckon.
Yes I’ve found that about 70-90 minutes after getting a mild krunk the fatigue and sedation sets in bigtime, almost like gravity is pulling me down!

Blue Roads

Kava Enthusiast
yup four minutes of blending will work. And then you can just strain right away and chug. If you do the shorter blending then it does have to sit for a while after. What I do is 5 quick one second pulses, then a 20 second long pulse, then 5 more short 1 second pulses, then, as I say, it has to sit for ten minutes before straining. No benefit to letting it sit longer, though.
Is there a benefit to your method of the short blend and letting it sit, compared to the four-minute blend?

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
Is there a benefit to your method of the short blend and letting it sit, compared to the four-minute blend?
I believe so. I think they are both excellent methods for blend n strain, but the short blend and sit feels krunkier to me, especially with Fijian wakas, less so with Vanuatu or Tongan, or any kind of lawena. The longer blend seems to bring ou the heaviness for me, more extreme mellow than krunk, and definitely euphoria is more likely to occur for me with the short blend and sit.

Like I say, they are both good, nice arrows in our prep quiver, I'm always up for upping my arsenal. It just depends on what you want (or need) at that time. It's all good.

Blue Roads

Kava Enthusiast
I believe so. I think they are both excellent methods for blend n strain, but the short blend and sit feels krunkier to me, especially with Fijian wakas, less so with Vanuatu or Tongan, or any kind of lawena. The longer blend seems to bring ou the heaviness for me, more extreme mellow than krunk, and definitely euphoria is more likely to occur for me with the short blend and sit.

Like I say, they are both good, nice arrows in our prep quiver, I'm always up for upping my arsenal. It just depends on what you want (or need) at that time. It's all good.
Thanks Krunkie! Great info!