What's new

Super tasters

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
I know I am one and I have wondered if this is the reason some folks find Kava mud flavored vs those who actually like the taste. I find Kava pretty bad to taste...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supertaster
I know the feeling, the trick is closing the air passage to your nose while you guzzle the grog. The smell is what the brains tells you it tastes like bitter mud. If you don't smell it, you don't taste it, simple. I do enjoy the taste of some kavas simply because of the expectation of whats to come.

kastom_lif

Kava Lover
Mere mortal here, and it tastes pretty bad to me too.

Well... thin lewena does taste alright to me, but I still grimace and chug heavy jungle juce made with scalding hot water all the time.

When I was 39 years old, I heard a story.
I found out that there are people walking among us who have superpowers.
These people are called s u p e r t a s t e r s.
To a s u p e r t a s t e r, bitter fruits taste far more bitter, and sweets far more sweet.
Then, just a few months ago, I had the chance to meet a real, live s u p e r t a s t e r named JOHN LEE.

And this is his true story:

Kava tastes insane (kava tastes insane)
To a Supertaster (Supertaster)
When he takes a shell (takes a shell)
It's like a hundred shells (it's like a million shells)

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
it took time, but now I love the taste of kavas and enjoy them as a refreshing beverage. Seriously.

There's a bunch of really nice tasting kavas out there. My fave is Nambawan and Five Star, but there's a whole lot of delicious ones. Rahmwanger, Samoan, pretty much any Tongan, Taveuni's Secret, and basically anything and everything from GHK.

avahZ

YAHWEH Shalom
Been using/drinking Kava almost daily in one form or another for over five years :) no hope for me there; but, the effects on my mind and body MMMmmmmm yum! I pile the sugar in my coffee to get rid of the bitter and oddly I will mix a heady Kava in my coffee in the morning before I head to work. Both taste nasty but they are worth it. As for a beer, forget about it, never understood why ppl liked it until I found out why I dont,

Travis

Kava Enthusiast
Some kavas make me gag when I'm too impatient to wait for the ice to melt. But once its cold none of them bother me. It might bother a lot of people possibly due to a lack of diversity in their diet as far as tastes go. Or because it taste like grassy dirt slop water. ::KavaChug::
Growing up in western pa, I've eaten lots of weird things.

Myk

Kava Enthusiast
Would you drink kava if it had no effect like near beer all the kavalactones removed? I would not . I don't enjoy the taste but I enjoy drinking kava, kinda hard to
explain. You know what else is weird ? The spell checker on Kava Forums doesn't know how to spell kava or kavalactones.

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
Would you drink kava if it had no effect like near beer all the kavalactones removed? I would not . I don't enjoy the taste but I enjoy drinking kava, kinda hard to
explain. You know what else is weird ? The spell checker on Kava Forums doesn't know how to spell kava or kavalactones.
I think it has more to do with your browser.

nabanga

Kava Enthusiast
I enjoy the taste and the following shudder of kava because I know what is coming - enjoyment through association. The taste doesn't bother me and in about 2.5 decades of drinking I have never felt the need to add juice or other flavouring.

Having said that if there were no effects I would not drink it.

Sent from my BLL-L22 using Tapatalk

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
Yes, depending on the kava. Once you start to like, if you ever do, you notice various enticing complex flavour palates, sweetness, flowery, fruity, piney, smokey, a very wide range of tastes. In Buveurs de Kava, Lebot devotes an entire chapter to the issue of aroma and flavour and in the islands it's a big feature of kava for a lot of people who like kava. I was shocked when it happened to me, I will admit and thought it would never happen, but when it did, it changed literally overnight.

Lil' Krunkette

Crawling Chaos
I'm hoping it will happen to me, soon. My boyfriend, who is not a kava drinker, suggested holding my nose. I was holding my breath but still gagging, but once I tried his trick, that helped. Tribal Culture turned me on freezing it, which also helps. Right now, I have one Vanuatuan kava and one Fijian. Until then, I just have to "woman up." Several folks including Krunkie have nominated Taveuni's Secret and ROH Samoan as being among the best tasting...maybe I'll go there. The benefits *surely* outweigh the detriments.
Lil K