What's new

Symptoms or right side under ribs after drinking Kava (Gas or Liver issues, other?)

StevenF

Kava Enthusiast
Hi all,
Since I first started taking Kava I've been having some symptoms on my right side just under my ribs.

It's like a feeling or a really mild pain in that area.

It doesn't happen 100% of the time.

For example, it doesn't happen if I take a strong Kava with a low quantity of water.

But it happens if I have several bowls of Kava...in other words...the more the amount of liquid, the likely it is to happen, even if the amound of Kava powder is the same.

For example, yesterday I drunk 1/2 a litre of Kava and it happened.

Also, this is always gone the next day.

The only reason I worry is because it's in the liver location, otherwise I wouldn't be posting this.

Does anyone have any experience or this and if yes, how do I avoid it?

ThePiper

Kava Lover
I have a gallbladder disorder but I get this pain with greasy foods or sometimes heavy kava. The surefire way for me to avoid it is usually taking milk thistle extract. I take jarrow milk thistle caps every day. Have you had any issue with your gallbladder or anything like that? Is the pain dull, sharp, etc?

StevenF

Kava Enthusiast
I have a gallbladder disorder but I get this pain with greasy foods or sometimes heavy kava. The surefire way for me to avoid it is usually taking milk thistle extract. I take jarrow milk thistle caps every day. Have you had any issue with your gallbladder or anything like that? Is the pain dull, sharp, etc?
I've started taking Milk Thistle again...I hope it works. It's a dull pain. As far as I know I don't have gallbladder issues but do I? Do you take the Milk Thistle before or after or both?

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
9/10 times, it's gas. Gas can be extremely uncomfortable and depending where it is in the abdomen, may feel like another condition. Don't let your anxiety get the best of you.

StevenF

Kava Enthusiast
9/10 times, it's gas. Gas can be extremely uncomfortable and depending where it is in the abdomen, may feel like another condition. Don't let your anxiety get the best of you.
Thanks for that :) So, is this very common? And do you know how to avoid it apart from Milk Thistle which @ThePiper suggested?

Ellviis

Kava Curious
If it’s a gallbladder issue, a good diet change with a doctor I think would help and increased fiber intake.

The fiber is something your liver’s bile can bind too, helping to keep it thin and runny versus a thick, dark bile that causes issues.

I had gallbladder polyps, and an intense diet change with lots of fiber per my nutritionist, and some supplements took away all pain in that area for me

Fushi88

Kava Enthusiast
Krunky is right about trying to tamper your anxiety though. I live in that world and it can definitely get the better of you reaaaaal quick, (and WebMD can make it worse lol) which totally sucks. But I'd say if you're piss isn't dark, your poop isn't white, and your eyeballs aren't yellow I'd take a breather and wait it out.
If it's just gas maybe try some Aloe Vera Juice after your meal, or some Ginger and Chamomile. When I quit drinking the booze and switched to Kava a lot of my digestive issues seemed to clear up. Well, with the exception of heartburn.

StevenF

Kava Enthusiast
thanks all! I really don't know if it's a gallbladder issue as I've never had one (as far as I know).
I really don't care about the pain / symtoms ... if it wasn't of the right side / under the ribs...I wouldn't even be talking about it...I'm just scared it's the liver :(
My poop is not white, eyes are white and piss is normal...so should I be scared? Do I just ignore it?
I really do not want to give up Kava ... I LOVE it :-(

Fushi88

Kava Enthusiast
Try a day or two without eating really fatty foods and see if that helps. Might solve your problem and worst case you ate healthier for a few days haha

StevenF

Kava Enthusiast
Try a day or two without eating really fatty foods and see if that helps. Might solve your problem and worst case you ate healthier for a few days haha
I've ordered a liver test first ... then I'll check my diet...fingers crossed! ps: I don't think it's my diet as I'm Vegan

BobBriggs

Kava Curious
You could be eating too much fiber, if you eat a lot of lentils, beans, and the like. I eat a lot of fiber and sometimes have had a few issues from it.