What's new

The Dreaded Dermapothy

IloveKava23

Kava Curious
Yup. I got it again. All over my neck and face. I looked for awhile on here but was wondering if anyone had any good idea or know of any supplements that will help with it as I'm not trying to quit kava, but will take a break if it continues to get worse

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
- For everyday maintenance I use Suave Advanced Therapy lotion after I shower, which helps keep it at bay and reduces the severity and/or frequency of outbreaks. AmLactin is the superior product for quickly eliminating dry ashy areas, but it's too harsh to use on cracked or raw dermopathy patches.

- To avoid eye styes during bouts of dermo you can cut anti-bacterial wet wipes into strips and wipe your eye lids (and the edge of the lid) with them for a few days, also use eye drops that contain Benzalkonium/Benzethonium Chloride in them for a while

- Drinking micronized kava is much more likely to bring on dermo, the same goes for not filtering your kava well. Also, "premium" kava that has been peeled properly tends to give you more leeway when it comes to dermopathy...the same has been said for fresh (undried) kava, but that may just be from the fact that most fresh kava is peeled before consumption.

-Dietarily, there's some evidence that having a diet that's high in Omega-3's may be helpful. It's important to intake more Omega 3 than Omega 6. You should consume both but the ratio should favor Omega-3. The standard american diet leans Omega-6.

Last edited:

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
Yup. I got it again. All over my neck and face. I looked for awhile on here but was wondering if anyone had any good idea or know of any supplements that will help with it as I'm not trying to quit kava, but will take a break if it continues to get worse
Have you tried coconut oil capsules? Whenever I've been drinking kava for a prolonged period I start to get a bit dry and get some painful or itchy patches. After a few days of ingesting coconut oil via capsules I can actually feel my skin getting softer and almost feel the oils starting to come out of my pores and back into my skin. Works every time for me and I've had plenty of people say the same although it maybe doesn't work for everyone for some reason?!

IloveKava23

Kava Curious
- For everyday maintenance I use Suave Advanced Therapy lotion after I shower, which helps keep it at bay and reduces the severity and/or frequency of outbreaks. AmLactin is the superior product for quickly eliminating dry ashy areas, but it's too harsh to use on cracked or raw dermopathy patches.

- To avoid eye styes during bouts of dermo you can cut anti-bacterial wet wipes into strips and wipe your eye lids (and the edge of the lid) with them for a few days, also use eye drops that contain Benzalkonium/Benzethonium Chloride in them for a while

- Drinking micronized kava is much more likely to bring on dermo, the same goes for not filtering your kava well. Also, "premium" kava that has been peeled properly tends to give you more leeway when it comes to dermopathy...the same has been said for fresh (undried) kava, but that may just be from the fact that most fresh kava is peeled before consumption.

-Dietarily, there's some evidence that haveing a diet that's high in Omega-3's may be helpful. It's important to intake more Omega 3 than Omega 6. You should consume both but the ratio should favor Omega-3. The standard american diet leans Omega-6.
Awesome thank you so much I'll try this out

IloveKava23

Kava Curious
Have you tried coconut oil capsules? Whenever I've been drinking kava for a prolonged period I start to get a bit dry and get some painful or itchy patches. After a few days of ingesting coconut oil via capsules I can actually feel my skin getting softer and almost feel the oils starting to come out of my pores and back into my skin. Works every time for me and I've had plenty of people say the same although it maybe doesn't work for everyone for some reason?!
I havent tried coconut oil capsules yet, I'll have to give a try and pick some up tonight. I'm also trying to stay more hydrated during my sessions of kava. Which is basically all day lol

High-King Havnar

Kava Curious
On my own thread you posted on Yesterday, I replied, I read a bit up about dermopathy and now hand cracking after using hand sanitizer lately, Im apparently skin sensetive anyway, dry and flakey from couple day heavy kava session, and with this outbreak I discovered anything with alcohol in it, even skin lotions can be bad on already dry skin as the alcohol emulsifies and strips skin of its oils. I read about using coconut oil to help put oils back in the skin, lanolin oil to help moisturize, and petrolium jelly for moderate severe cracks. I went to local dollar tree and bout Vitimin E Oil, with other ingredients and minerals in Coconut oil. A moisturizing cream called Udderly Smooth for the lanolin oil; Has cow like prints on small tube. And 100% Petroleum Jelly for the bad cracks. $3 and change. I am currently mixing drop or two of oil with pea sized drop of Udderly Smooth cream couple times a day, moisture is definitely returning to my hands, also taking a break from Kava till my hands heal. Take care and Ill update about end results and timeline. But main thing I took away from that hand dermopathy article was alcohol on dry skin makes issues worse which I learned first hand. Then while I was at the store; as I read the ingredients I realized most lotions contained some form of alcohol, even the Aloe Vera lotion a nurse reffered.