What's new

Type of kava you would recommend which doesn't weigh you down after multiple days of drinking it

Kavaguy

Kava Enthusiast
I have noticed that after drinking kava for more than two days in a row, I start to feel more lethargic and just generally down after that. Is there a kava that any of you would recommend that one can generally drink every day, yet not have this effect? I avoid Kavafied Kava Supreme and Nakamal at Home's Stone, as these had the worse effect.

kavamehameha

Magnum's 'awa drinking bird
Have you tried KWK Loa Waka?

Besides the question for a particular variety, it may also help to adjust the strength of the grog. Particular strains may "behave" differently depending on the concentration (root-water ratio).

Kavaguy

Kava Enthusiast
Yes, I tried Loa Waka and was difficult to feel anything from it. Admittedly, it does take a lot of kava to get me feeling anything. I typically knead 8 tablespoons in warm water mixed with half a tablespoon of vegetable oil. Thanks.

Kavaguy

Kava Enthusiast
Looks like it is $125 for a half a pound, so might be a bit tough to swing over here in the US. Have always wanted to visit NZ so if I do, I will make a note of picking some up. :)

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
Looks like it is $125 for a half a pound, so might be a bit tough to swing over here in the US. Have always wanted to visit NZ so if I do, I will make a note of picking some up. :)
Is that quoted in NZ dollars though? Otherwise it does sound expensive!

Definitely try Mahakea from GHK, it's strong enough to give you a fun time but not so heavy that multiple days of use will weigh you down.

Kavaguy

Kava Enthusiast
Edward, you are right. I need to brush up on my math. 500g is more than a pound, and the prices are in NZ dollars. So a pound with shipping to US costs $71. About to place an order. Regarding Mahakea, I consumed a few lbs of it and found it to cause more nausea than usual. The best kava I have tried is Hanakapi 'Ai, but it is no longer offered.

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
Edward, you are right. I need to brush up on my math. 500g is more than a pound, and the prices are in NZ dollars. So a pound with shipping to US costs $71. About to place an order. Regarding Mahakea, I consumed a few lbs of it and found it to cause more nausea than usual. The best kava I have tried is Hanakapi 'Ai, but it is no longer offered.
Ok, I found it the other way round with those two but that's kava!