What's new

Warm or Cold? How do you take it

Rami MeloMelo

Berkeley, CA
Kava Vendor
Hey you lovely people. We mudslingers here @ Melo always serve the kava cold from the fridge, but during our prep, we like to warm the water when we make it (never too hot for your skin!) and there's a handful of guests that much prefer warm kava. So I'm curious, how many of you like your kava ice cold (like me!) or room temp/warm (savages!)? Funnily enough, in Vanu they consider cold kava as worse, not for the taste, but rather it's not the "freshest" since it's been made and had time to get cold in the fridge.

How much of a purist are you? If you're chewing the root, and thinking "Wait, y'all add water?" then have a seat.

Fushi88

Kava Enthusiast
I don't think I've ever tried to actually make kava with cold water before. It's always been hot or warm, rather.
However I usually either stick it in the freezer or fill it with enough ice so that it chlls quickly without watering it down before I drink it. I have had it warm a few times but I tend to lean towards the freezing cold.

Kavaloloko

Kavaloloko Kava Co.
Kava Vendor
Hey you lovely people. We mudslingers here @ Melo always serve the kava cold from the fridge, but during our prep, we like to warm the water when we make it (never too hot for your skin!) and there's a handful of guests that much prefer warm kava. So I'm curious, how many of you like your kava ice cold (like me!) or room temp/warm (savages!)? Funnily enough, in Vanu they consider cold kava as worse, not for the taste, but rather it's not the "freshest" since it's been made and had time to get cold in the fridge.

How much of a purist are you? If you're chewing the root, and thinking "Wait, y'all add water?" then have a seat.

The Kava releases more Kavalactones with warm water.

Kavaloloko

Kavaloloko Kava Co.
Kava Vendor
Yes, still warm water.
I personally feel warm water gets the Kava to kick faster but its really up to you.
When you start off using warm water it eventually cools down pretty fast also

Last edited:

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
I always use warm/hot to the touch water for any wash and like Fushi88, I bring down the grog temp instantly with a half a tray of ice cubes. I've tried cool washes and I think warm is always the way to go. I don't let the ice get melted in the grog too much but some will always melt, so I start the prep with 500ml and end up with just under 600.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder

When I first started drinking kava and had literally no idea what I was doing I would whip up a nice 60g batch of stone and drink it all at once right after I made it with 120°F water (a real savage).

Yeah, to say the least those days are over. My kava gets made with warm water, but chills out in the fridge for at least 3 hours before I drink it.

That makes sense about the mentality in Vanuatu. Sorta works against them in a way though as it pretty much gives the green light to never refrigerate, lol

Aceofwands9

Kava Enthusiast
I shake my alubottle with warmish water and then drink. Who wants to wait!?

Cold kava kinda grosses me out to be honest.

Blergs

Kava Curious
Room temp preferred personally. Same with water in general. I make it with warm water and soy milk though

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
Room temp preferred personally. Same with water in general. I make it with warm water and soy milk though
This thread reminds of a buddy I introduced kava to, he insists that drinking (Squanch!!) hot is the way to go. :wtf: