What's new

What topics go here as opposed to the main forums?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kojo Douglas

The Kavasseur
Koniak is a fantastic Kava. So is Chief's Jungle. So was Niugini. I know at least three vendors who were intimidated by the testers and dropped their Tudei lines. The truth is, many islanders love a good Tudei. Culture changes over time, and you can secure a nice frothy bowl of Isa in most Hawaiian Nakamals.

The Tudei controversy fizzled out because it was, well.... just kind of getting old.

wormwood

Kava Enthusiast
Koniak is a fantastic Kava. So is Chief's Jungle. So was Niugini. I know at least three vendors who were intimidated by the testers and dropped their Tudei lines. The truth is, many islanders love a good Tudei. Culture changes over time, and you can secure a nice frothy bowl of Isa in most Hawaiian Nakamals.

The Tudei controversy fizzled out because it was, well.... just kind of getting old.
Koniak was allright to me I thought. Sometimes made me pretty tense though. But that happens with other kavas as well for me.

I don't know

Kava Enthusiast
I just wish everything was labeled so I know exactly what I am getting. I don't want tudei and don't want to be surprised that something I bought had it. Also, I hope the tudei controversy doesn't fizzle out because there will always be new kava users who don't know the difference and should.

TheKavaSociety

New Zealand
Kava Vendor
The truth is, many islanders love a good Tudei. Culture changes over time, and you can secure a nice frothy bowl of Isa in most Hawaiian Nakamals.
This is seriously misleading. As confirmed by @nabanga @kasa_balavu and so many other people either coming from some of the kava drinking islands or at least familiar with these places, nobody willingly drinks tudei. I think @nabanga even wrote that on some of the islands people use tudei as.. a poison against their enemies. Your experiences from the Solomon Islands and your anecdotes from Hawaii are interesting, but the former is very new to the kava scene (they have been continuously drinking kava for as long as the Belgians, it seems). While Hawaii has a long and beautiful tradition of drinking kava, Isa is not Hawaiian and the Hawaiian kava bars are often as close to (or as far away from) kava tradition as those on mainland. It's not about being a cultural purist or that this or that kava is "taboo" or "sacred". It's not like the nakamal regulars in Port Vila follow a religious cult that prohibits tudei consumption or that they worship noble. People hate tudei because its effects are inferior to those of noble kava. Strong noble kava has absolutely beautiful effects. I think one of the reasons why some people outside of the region seem to think tudei can have somewhat pleasant effects is because their only experience with kava is dried kava which is generally much weaker? Or it's their chemistry. I don't know. And sure, I don't care what other people drink or eat, their lives, their choice. But it is one thing to claim that you like tudei (though it is a bit unfortunate as you are an influential figure. Unfortunately, new kava drinkers are often tempted to start with the strongest stuff they can find and may be persuaded by your positive assessment of tudei to make it their first kava) and quite another to suggest that this is what traditional drinkers consume. I've never heard of an islander (from Fiji, Vanuatu or Tonga) who would recommend drinking tudei (most Tongans are unfamiliar with the concepts, but one of my Tongan mates has accidentally bought some tudei spiked crap and couldn't believe Westerners are willing to pay money for it).

Last edited by a moderator:

Ligermeat

Warm and Fuzzeh!
Now what exactly does tudei feel like exactly? I always had the idea that it was more of a wasted/drunken sort of feeling as opposed to the elated feel of a noble kava. I'm afraid to actually try it out of fear of hating it and wasting my money.

Kojo Douglas

The Kavasseur
The effects of Tudei are more pronounced, immediate, and intoxicating. You might feel like laughing a lot or dwelling on sounds and images. If consumed too quickly, it can also make you feel pretty lousy and give you a "two day" hangover that can be depressing and tiring.

Let me be clear: Tudei is not for everyone. I have grown to personally dislike it. I try to only drink Noble Kava. But I think if Tudei is properly labeled then it should be the consumer's choice whether they want to buy it or not. That being said, if a country like Vanuatu is going to prohibit the export of Tudei, we should also respect their laws.

Kojo Douglas

The Kavasseur
On top of all that, I would have serious health concerns for someone who only drank Tudei Kava. That is based purely on (other peoples') anecdotal evidence. I personally have never had any (known) health problems from it.

verticity

I'm interested in things
Now what exactly does tudei feel like exactly? I always had the idea that it was more of a wasted/drunken sort of feeling as opposed to the elated feel of a noble kava. I'm afraid to actually try it out of fear of hating it and wasting my money.
Well, I'll tell you about my experience with Koniak. I did not know it was tudei at the time I tried it--it was falsely advertised as noble. This was some time ago, when I was still learning about kava. The acute effects were quite strong, as advertised. They were sort of enjoyable, but heavy, like being drunk. However the next day I felt really depressed. A feeling of fatigue and wanting to avoid everything. So, for me at least, the "two day" moniker was quite literal. I would not recommend trying it, but if you do, make sure you don't have any responsibilities the next day.

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
I still have a ton of Koniak. Instead of drinking it, I'm now thinking of selling it for a profit as a rare collectors item. :)
(naw who am I'm kidding.... I'm fucking going to drink it. 'All' of it.)

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
I thought that this forum was only to discuss the emerging Noble vs Tudei scandal, where manufacturers spike their stuff with Tudei without talking about it.

But now we're talking about stimulant exaggeration with Kava as well and etc.

In the main forum I've been posting some sciency stuff related to Kava's effects and interactions with other drugs. Should that really be going here?\

Bula everyone
It's called 'Special Topics' for a reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.