What's new

When do you eat?

Cmessier

Kava Enthusiast
I've found that my affection for our beloved root has gotten to the point that I was eating very little. I lost a good 20 pounds, and I wasnt even chubby. I am now rail thin. To the point that it was becoming unhealthy. I realized I had to make sure I was getting enough calories so I starting eating really high calorie breakfasts. It is helping to a point. But my cutoff for eating is still around noon so I can shell later. I find that often, 4 hours isnt enough time between eating and shelling to really give me a reliable krunk. Depends on what I eat.

So for you daily guys and gals, when do you actually get enough food? Ive tried eating after a session, but sometimes I notice it starts to take away my krunk. I'm finding that eating tiny portions of high fat foods intensifies the kava but that still isnt quite enough. I know if I eat any kind of breads it'll quickly reduce the good feelings, I imagine it soaks the stuff up, I dunno. I'm shelling and having a few bites of salad slathered in full fat ranch dressing right now and the effects are coming on even stronger, but I know I have not eaten enough today.

If my kava buzz goes away I go right back to extreme anxiety and I know I will not sleep. Heavy meals late in the day keep me up at night, and this is something I knew before kava.

SO when do you guys eat, and have you found that you can keep a good session going even after eating?

Cmessier

Kava Enthusiast
Thats interesting. I know once Ive had a lotta root, nothing even tastes good and the desire to eat isnt really there. I kinda force myself.

Travis

Kava Enthusiast
I also am fairly thin for my height and age. My doctor pointed out that I'm underweight according to the bmi chart. I do walk a lot with my dog and am on my feet all day at work. I usually eat in the morning and afternoon and have a small meal around 8 pm. I start drinking kava around midnight so I try not to eat a lot before.
I also smoke and replace meals with black coffee. So I have a few factors contributing to my appetite/wanted to krunk.

theGrogfather

Sipping on Waka juice. Laid back
My Fridays:
Decent sized breaky around 6:30 and a solid lunch around 11. Plenty of water after that then start shelling around 4-5. Eat about 30-60 mins after last shell around 8-9 and it almost always boosts the krunk and lasts till i fall asleep.
It's a long time to not eat but it's still 3 meals.

nabanga

Kava Enthusiast
I rarely eat after kava, and if I do its small and under duress.
I have a big breakfast as I always wake up starving, and a big lunch, and maybe graze on a little fruit during the afternoon and that's it till kava at 6ish.
I have been very thin from kava in the past, and even checked into hospital in the 90s with very low blood pressure and very low blood iron from living on kava and breakfast nems - the doc told me to stop kava and eat cabbage. But am actually about 20lbs overweight now - big lunches are the answer..

D

Deleted User01

I eat lunch at 12pm, take nap, start work at 1pm, and start shelling at around 3.30 and my last shell is at 5pm. It works good for me. At 5:30-6, I eat a small supper and then I'm ready for the recliner. So that's 3 hours and 30 minutes after I eat. I would warn you that your eating habits might become habitual and you better make sure it ain't just because of your Kava schedule. Man, I've been trying to lose 7 pounds since Halloween of last year and it's a burger bear.
P.S. Kava does not ruin my appetite nor does it increase it (like alcohol). Kava tells me to eat sensibly and health-ily.

nickbroken

Kava Enthusiast
I eat lunch at 12pm, take nap, start work at 1pm, and start shelling at around 3.30 and my last shell is at 5pm. It works good for me. At 5:30-6, I eat a small supper and then I'm ready for the recliner. So that's 3 hours and 30 minutes after I eat. I would warn you that your eating habits might become habitual and you better make sure it ain't just because of your Kava schedule. Man, I've been trying to lose 7 pounds since Halloween of last year and it's a burger bear.
P.S. Kava does not ruin my appetite nor does it increase it (like alcohol). Kava tells me to eat sensibly and health-ily.
Eh are you in Spain?

D

Deleted User01

Because of my work schedule, I go to bed at 9pm. I do everythink earli-ish. So I'm not from Spain, but rather the Far Side of the Moon. ;)

nickbroken

Kava Enthusiast
I think I need to move to Spain. Go to work eat a big lunch take a nap work some more go out all night, beautiful women, tasty food, yeah It would beat cold canada at the moment.

D

Deleted User01

Aw Jeez, now you got me hungry for Paella. :hungry: You know the sun is out and it will hit the high 70s here in South Texas. It's really, really nice outside.

nickbroken

Kava Enthusiast
Cloudy and 47 here, which isn't too bad all things considering, sigh gonna move out east soon and it will be all humidity, lived in the desert too long so I suppose I will feel like I am in a swamp.

Kojo Douglas

The Kavasseur
Good discussion.

I find that eating habits can make or break the Kava experience. I usually eat a moderate breakfast, an early and light lunch, and a late dinner when I drink Kava. If I eat lunch around 11:15-11:30 and start shelling at 5:00 I feel like I've hit my sweet spot. I concur that a dairy-rich, heavy meal a few hours into a Kava session potentiates quite a lot. I usually eat dinner at 8:30 or 9:00 PM and cook quesadillas or some such thing.

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
SO when do you guys eat, and have you found that you can keep a good session going even after eating?
I've stopped eating anything at all after kava. @nabanga said the same thing in a post quite a while ago which convinced me it wasn't so unusual. I now have a big breakfast OR a big lunch and try and keep the other one of the two fairly light. I try not to eat after about 4pm and leave at least 3 hours before kava which is a nightly and movable affair due to my job.

One thing I would say is that if you are going to eat anything then try some fairly fatty cheese and crackers. Full fat blue cheeses or cream type cheeses are really good.

One other thing is something really weird that happened to me on holiday one time in Cornwall. I had a good kava session the night before, went out and ate fish and chips the next day for lunch and actually felt a kind of kava rush. Since I've been drinking with milk the next morning rush has been relatively limited, all the fun happens on the night, but the greasy batter and chips gave me effects!

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
I start my session on empty but have found that I can keep a good kava groove going even after I ate. The key for me is making sure I'm well primed before eating
I am the same way, start on an empty stomach and then throughout the night, I eat small portions.

Sometimes I have a good kava session after work and eat a regular meal shortly after but even those times, I can have another session 3-4 hours later without a problem.

moff000

Kava Enthusiast
It can be a nightmare for me if i'm training at the gym. I start work at 7am eat some food at about 1030 am and then again at 2pm. I go to the gym at around 1530 and get back home for 1730 and i'm starvingggggggggggg. I will go back to work for about 1hr then go home swill some shells down and then probably eat at 2000. I never feel like a large meal after my shells though.

Kavashua

Mmmm Kava
I am the same way, start on an empty stomach and then throughout the night, I eat small portions.

Sometimes I have a good kava session after work and eat a regular meal shortly after but even those times, I can have another session 3-4 hours later without a problem.
I wonder if the notion of empty stomach is so ingrained in new drinkers that most people never try something like this. It definitely has a dulling effect on the krunkness but once you become familiar with the kave "groove" it's still can be felt quite well and it seems to be much healthier than starving oneself to get the ultimate experience

Cmessier

Kava Enthusiast
Ive been experimenting with food. Today I had a huge lunch ...4 microwave burritos and a hungry man turkey dinner. Waited 5 hours and came home and started shelling. Got me pretty rooted tlright off. Now I just had some popcorn chicken after a lot of root and its intensifying. I feel drunk.

I went without food most of the time just so I could get my krunk on and Im finding that that isnt necessary. Im seriously feeling it. To the point that Id say Im more incapacitated than if I had a 6 pack.

theGrogfather

Sipping on Waka juice. Laid back
Ive been experimenting with food. Today I had a huge lunch ...4 microwave burritos and a hungry man turkey dinner. Waited 5 hours and came home and started shelling. Got me pretty rooted tlright off. Now I just had some popcorn chicken after a lot of root and its intensifying. I feel drunk.

I went without food most of the time just so I could get my krunk on and Im finding that that isnt necessary. Im seriously feeling it. To the point that Id say Im more incapacitated than if I had a 6 pack.
::rootedgrin::
The Waka has that affect on me.