What's new

Why the discrepancy btw 1 minute recommended for shaking the Aluball vs 5-10 minutes for kneading?

Kavaguy

Kava Enthusiast
Kava instructions usually recommend 5-10 minutes of kneading, but the Aluball and Alubottle instructions only recommend a minute of shaking. Is this because there is only so many kavalactones which can be extracted by the Aluballs which tops out at a minute, or is it that the extraction process is 5-10 times more efficient? If it is 5-10 times more efficient, will shaking the Aluballs in the same water for 5-10 minutes extract many more kavalactones than kneading would? I realize that there are diminishing returns for either process, and there are only a certain amount of kavalactones which will leave the powder and enter the liquid until the water becomes saturated and can hold no more.

KrunkAsAskunk

Kava Curious
In my own personal experience, I've found you can get a lot more out of your aluballs shaking beyond one minute. However, I would say it is slightly more efficient than kneading. So to get the most out of shaking it's somewhere in the middle. I tend to shake around 3 or 4 minutes. Whereas I tend to knead for like 10 min.
One more thing to consider, the screens on the aluballs wear out faster the more you shake. Mine last me around a month and then pieces of root started getting through. Lol

nabanga

Kava Enthusiast
With kneading it also depends on how much kava you have in your stocking or seive bag - so have to compare equal quantities. If you have a baseball (using US units..) size serve of kava it will lake longer than an aluball size serve as there is more kava and it all needs plenty time being massaged in full contact with receiving water.
Conversely hand -kneading an aluball- sized serve (what's that, 30g?) can easily be done in 3-4 minutes

Sent from my BLL-L22 using Tapatalk

Pauluk

Kava Enthusiast
I do about 5 minutes. But I'm. Very sparing with my amounts. As its expensive stuff to get over here. I empty it out and then half fill with water and shake another wash. It's quite thin by then. So sometimes I add another ball with another desert spoon. Do 5 minutes. Then another wash. That can be my evening kava in two desert spoons. Some washes are a bit watery but that helps with hydration.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
The aluball system is very efficient.

But to get the most grog out of my root I first do 2 or 3 washes with the medium grind in the aluball. Then I do 4 or 5, very rarely 6, more washes using trad prep after the makas have been stored in the freezer until I have a large enough quantity accumulated to make a good batch. I do this both because it makes my grind go further, but also because I believe you extract kavalactones, and especially certain otherwise unobtainable or neglected kavalactones, using this approach.

But even if one only used the aluball, it would still be the most efficient and economical way of preparing grog imo. Combine it with the freezer and trad prepping later washes, and it achieves it's true potential. It's not about either or, it's about and. Trad prepping helps the aluball reach its greatest potential, and vice versa.

Last edited:

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
With kneading it also depends on how much kava you have in your stocking or seive bag - so have to compare equal quantities. If you have a baseball (using US units..) size serve of kava it will lake longer than an aluball size serve as there is more kava and it all needs plenty time being massaged in full contact with receiving water.
Conversely hand -kneading an aluball- sized serve (what's that, 30g?) can easily be done in 3-4 minutes

Sent from my BLL-L22 using Tapatalk
I didn't know the baseball was an official measurement ;-)