What's new

Working out how to drink strong kavas

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
You think you've got your prep and routine sorted out and then a kava comes along that doesn't fit. This may or may not help someone else so I'll put it here and we'll see. Usually I mix my kava relatively strong in terms of root/liquid ratio so I don't have to take in so much liquid but with a strong one like Nangol Noble I'm finding it better to follow traditional advice, mix it a bit weaker and chug some every 30 mins. I normally mix 5 to 8 tbsps. of root to 2 cups of water, chug a shell and wait an hour before chugging the second half. Sometimes I'll stretch it to 3 cups of liquid and adjust the root accordingly. The first time I had the Nangol I didn't feel so extra the next day. Tonight I'm feeling just fine thank you, not way out krunked just feeling nice. I triple aluballed 3 tbsps. with 600-700ml of milk/water then did a second wash with another 300-400 ml of just water. After shaking I passed it through my cactus kava strainer to be sure. That gave me about 3 cups full. Feeling good. Going to wait a while and then shake up another 1 or 2 tbsps. as it's early yet. It's funny I need different routines for different kavas, up to now my usual method has worked well for all kavas. Oh well, enjoying myself learning and trying anyway. Like I say hopefully this will help someone and has been worth posting.

Tfin

Kava Enthusiast
I found my Nangol to be of to fine a grind to use with my strainer bag. I would typically use 8 heaping tbsp with 2 cups hot water and kneed for 8 to 10 mins. I would then add like 5 or 6 ice cubes to the bowl to cool it down, then add either a bit of milk and chocolate sauce or fruit juice to flavor. I would end up with a very thick kava that messed with my stomach just a tad.

I then used my AluBall (2 balls, 2 tbsp each) with just under 2 cups hot water for the first wash and a little over a cup of juice for the second wash and then just mix the two washes together. This made it more palatable for me and still produced a fairly strong brew.

Is the Nangol typically a finer grind then other medium ones?

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
@Tfin I find it quite fine. I didn't get loads of root in the strainer bag after straining but probably just enough to cause me problems. I feel a lot better on it this time round and I think it's due to lower dose and more straining.

EQ

Atman
I use eyesight on my traditional knead. There's a fine point for me where it isn't watery, and it isn't mud, and the perfect mix is rather tasty depending on strain.

I'll typically go 250ml an oz to test the waters on a new variety knowing I will have to add more water. I will typically toss in 4oz of water until it is right. Feeling the root and the grittiness of the mix is how I judge. For example I know for a good Waka I need to start at 10oz water an ounce of root.

Of course my finest drink will be too gnarly for some and watery for others.

For strength is by how much water.
If you think about it if I can accurately mix a rough standard ratio and create equal density by adapting to potency then volume of Kava represents how much the amount of root makes.

Meaning a scale makes things easier.

Now to the point of my post:

When trying a new root start at your standard dose. With minimal water. Say a cup for 3 heaped tbl spoons. If it is grittier than what you usually enjoy add water until it is normal.

So a weaker Kava than usual will end up with less Kava, and a stronger with more. If it is a lot more than usual: next time use less root.

I hope this makes sense ::shell::

EQ

Atman
@EQ yes, I did my usual prep first time round and it didn't work out so good. More water and less kava has worked out fine tonight. Still ended up having 4 tbsps. but feel good.
Another thing too for testing new roots is if it's grittier space it out over time a bit more than normal. I think it's a lot better to get less of an effect to too much and nausea.

So adding on to the thread keep it slow.

If the root is expected to be stronger than maybe a root you usually drink maybe take a bit off the standard dose too. Test it out.

Zac Imiola (Herbalist)

Kava Connoisseur
In regard to grit . I don't drink kava now without straining it like 3 or 4 times .
I just lay my strainer over a container and pour back and forth doing it over and over till it's grit free but I can see all the oil.
The first strain I have to fold up and squeeze cuz theirs just too much good stuff

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
It's definitely to do with respecting the root. If you have an idea it's stronger just use less, use more liquid and space it out a bit more. I've had a nice evening with very little stomach discomfort and I'm ready for a good sleep so I've achieved what I wanted tonight :)

EQ

Atman
In regard to grit . I don't drink kava now without straining it like 3 or 4 times .
I just lay my strainer over a container and pour back and forth doing it over and over till it's grit free but I can see all the oil.
The first strain I have to fold up and squeeze cuz theirs just too much good stuff
Which strainer are you using? You are liking a fine light drink it may be easier for you to use the Kavafied strainer. 50 or 75 Micron. The Aluball is 75 for context.
I have the 50 micron and use it sometimes, and think you would love it. The strainer itself is very large; and it's silkyness molds well with hand, finger pressures; and is very strong, and durable. I do wish they'd offer more micron options going up to 200 though.

Tfin

Kava Enthusiast
I'm still noticing a fairly large difference in potency between making kava in the AluBall and traditional prep.

For instance I made some Squanch Waka two nights ago in my Aluball as described above. Came out potent but nothing crazy. Last night I used the same kava but with 8 tbsp, two hot cups of water which I kneaded for 8-10 mins in this strainer bag:

hmmmm, I attempted to post the weblink here to the Amazon site but it won't display....its just a basic almond nut milk strainer bag.

Not sure on the micron for this?

Added 5 large ice cubes to chill and some lime juice to flavor. I drank half of that (a little over a cup) and about 30 mins later another half cup. Started to feel real nice, stronger than how I felt from the AluBall (granted I had a bit more this time). Then I ate supper and holy cats!.....that kicked it into high gear! When I got up from the table I was actually wobbly on my feet....sat on the couch and just enjoyed the ride.

Excellent kava by the way @Squanch72

Zac Imiola (Herbalist)

Kava Connoisseur
The aluball is all about the grind of the product and the right temp water.
People usually go lower on temp and over fill.
I've gotten good stuff out of the aluball but gotta go low amount and fine grind kava

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
@Mrbinx69 I use 3 balls but just put one tbsp. in each so there's plenty of room. I've been using more liquid than usual and drinking more often and doing ok like that. I have been doing a second wash too but only half filling the shaker to rinse the last of the goodness out then mixing the two together.

I think with some kavas the aluball lets through way too much sediment for my liking but with some it's fine. A quick pass through a strainer sorts out the ones that get a bit too hairy.

GussWest

Kava Enthusiast
This topic has had my attention here in my lab kitchen lately too.
Although no surprise, it is clear to me that the aluball does not allow for the pressure necessary to really squeeze out all of the water and KLs that gets into the fibrous parts of the root grind. I think of the aluball as a sieve filter that basically micronizes the grind; allowing the finest starch particles through the filter.

Several controlled experiments are in order:
1. Aluball vs. Trad Prep with equal mass of medium grind and water volume; same root, same temps.
2. Follow up trad prep with the left over pulp from the aluball.
3. Boiling prep of spent pulp.
4. Masticating juicer prep of spent pulp.
5. ...

I was collecting up a bunch of spent pulp to experiment with, but it got tossed out of the freezer by SWMBO. "Yes, dear."

EQ

Atman
I'm still noticing a fairly large difference in potency between making kava in the AluBall and traditional prep.

For instance I made some Squanch Waka two nights ago in my Aluball as described above. Came out potent but nothing crazy. Last night I used the same kava but with 8 tbsp, two hot cups of water which I kneaded for 8-10 mins in this strainer bag:

hmmmm, I attempted to post the weblink here to the Amazon site but it won't display....its just a basic almond nut milk strainer bag.

Not sure on the micron for this?

Added 5 large ice cubes to chill and some lime juice to flavor. I drank half of that (a little over a cup) and about 30 mins later another half cup. Started to feel real nice, stronger than how I felt from the AluBall (granted I had a bit more this time). Then I ate supper and holy cats!.....that kicked it into high gear! When I got up from the table I was actually wobbly on my feet....sat on the couch and just enjoyed the ride.

Excellent kava by the way @Squanch72
Most likely 200 micron. What I use most the time.

Aluball will not beat traditional prep. Aluball is better for a light medicinal dosage, and is portable. An amazing tool all should have, but I love kneading. Even just 3 tablespoons I can fit in an Aluball I will bust the bowl, and strainer out, and pump out a drink.

The Aluball requires too much water for my liking.

nosuni

Kava Enthusiast
I find I get a drink nearly equivalent to traditional prep with 3-4tbsp split between two aluballs and 350ml of water :) I shake it longer than 30 seconds though, maybe a minute or even two.

EQ

Atman
I find I get a drink nearly equivalent to traditional prep with 3-4tbsp split between two aluballs and 350ml of water :) I shake it longer than 30 seconds though, maybe a minute or even two.
You drink mainly GHK right?

GHK is like double dense. Since I weigh my root I can tell you more grams of GHK fit in a ball, and works well in the ball.