What's new

Fresh Hawaiian?!

SelfBiasResistor

Persist for Resistance!
The 1500 Watt Ninja is what I have been using for several year now to pulverize the chopped, cleaned, root/stump mix from any 'awa plant I harvest from my yard. It works fantastic. I pre-freeze chopped and store at about zero. Then partially defrost. Right now with 'Opihikao a 5 ounce cup is sufficient. Hanakapi'ai (Uliuli a opulepule no hoʻi ) is the multi-colored 'awa cultivar first found on Kaua'i and is also wonderful.
I'm also happy to hear that you've had good experience with the Ninja since that's what I'm planning to use whenever I can actually catch the fresh in stock. I am a little leary of even trying it though if they won't have a consistent supply as I'm afraid if it's good it will ruin drinking dried powder completely for me.

Zaphod

Kava Lover
This time it's Nene. I am not familiar with that variety.
It tends to be a more mild Hawaiian variety. Not typically super strong, but very mellow and balanced. Great for a light chill, and relaxation. Not great if you want a real heavy or heady krunk. It also has a very smooth light flavor. At least that is my experience with the dry root. No idea on how fresh is.....

Bula Kava House

Portland, OR
Kava Vendor
Kava Bar Owner
It tends to be a more mild Hawaiian variety. Not typically super strong, but very mellow and balanced. Great for a light chill, and relaxation. Not great if you want a real heavy or heady krunk. It also has a very smooth light flavor. At least that is my experience with the dry root. No idea on how fresh is.....
It may be mild. I haven't tried this Nēnē. That said, much of the commercially available Hawaiian kava is very low in kavalactones, like 3-5%. Grown differently, kavalactone content has the potential to be much higher. I'm not sure where ROH's fresh came from but I wouldn't necessarily predict its potency based on other Nēnēs you may have tried.

Gourmet Hawaiian Kava

Kava Expert
Kava Vendor
It may be mild. I haven't tried this Nēnē. That said, much of the commercially available Hawaiian kava is very low in kavalactones, like 3-5%. Grown differently, kavalactone content has the potential to be much higher. I'm not sure where ROH's fresh came from but I wouldn't necessarily predict its potency based on other Nēnēs you may have tried.
From what I was told, they get it from Puu O hoku Ranch on Molokai. They are a certified organic farm and tests have shown that organic grown kava is generally in the kavalactone range that Judd described. They are also harvesting some young kava too from what I hear, not sure it that part is true or not. To my knowledge they are the only ones selling fresh Hawaiian root.. Aloha.

Chris

Bula Kava House

Portland, OR
Kava Vendor
Kava Bar Owner
Made me curious so I asked Tyler what the kavalactone percentage of the fresh nēnē is. 7%. Should be good and strong. He said he'll post a coa Friday.

scaryjarri

Kava Curious
Anyone want to further clarify their "experimental" or otherwise ratios.

I have a # out for delivery so just read through this as it will be my first fresh kava.

1/2# 2 qts h20?

Im more concerned about wasting it by conserving and making weak grog. Or overdoing it, which i have been known to do lately with dried.

Thanks for any recommends. I wont hold anyone responsible if I take their recommends and it doesnt go as well but I will give you a big props!

Bula Kava House

Portland, OR
Kava Vendor
Kava Bar Owner

I have a # out for delivery so just read through this as it will be my first fresh kava.

1/2# 2 qts h20?

Im more concerned about wasting it by conserving and making weak grog. Or overdoing it, which i have been known to do lately with dried.

Thanks for any recommends. I wont hold anyone responsible if I take their recommends and it doesnt go as well but I will give you a big props!
You should be able to make a gallon of moderately potent kava with a pound of good fresh.

Gourmet Hawaiian Kava

Kava Expert
Kava Vendor

1/2# 2 qts h20?

I have a PDF of this book---
Hawaiian ‘Awa views of an Ethnobotanical Treasure

It is on my website and you can find it here----http://gourmethawaiiankava.com/hawaiian-awa-views-of-an-ethnobotanical-treasure

If you look on page 64 you will find instruction on how to make fresh kava, I hope this helps. Aloha.

Chris

kastom_lif

Kava Lover
I run an older 900/1000 watt Ninja and keep the blades sharp. A couple licks with a sharpening stone on each blade until it's keen enough to catch on the back if your thumbnail.

Subsequent washes with freezer makas slowly evolve from medium grind into micro with this process. I'm quite happy with a 50 micron Kavafied monster bag.

scaryjarri

Kava Curious
I appreciate the responses but for some reason they sent my order without the fresh. I was watching for the mailman and Im not a tracking hound, whos asking where it is but the day its supposed to be here.

So far not impressed with root of happiness. Ordered 8 days ago. Ordered 1# fresh and 2 other items, only becase of the fresh. No communication, half the order missing with no explanation. Now will it be here monday, do I have to chase down a refund?

Service is almost as important as quality and both Bula and GHK have my orders here quick and always good. Ive been ordering from BHK for 8-10 years and used to go in a bunch of years ago. Great kava all around. I dont think ive ever gotten a screwed up order. tallying my orders, I've spent $1300 there. My only comment would be to fix the thing allowing me to put the 2# Nambawan in my cart and I get excited and go through the checkout to see sold out. All of the others show sold out. So I can just check the site for stock and move on. No big deal, just a tidbit that, that one is programed weird.

GHK Ive only been buying from since finding this forum, maybe a couple years. Amazing kavas and todays minor letfdown was brightened up by a 100g bag of Papa Ele instant. I usually dont buy instant but the last Papa Ele was one of my favorite kavas ever so I jumped on the instant and felt nice on just 2g. 30 min later I took another 2g and did some garden prep.

I drink every single day and probably need a break but its far superior for relieving stress and feeling nice than alcohol, which I stopped going on 2 years ago. Get a little krunk and drink a bunch of herbal teas to keep the hydration factored in.

And I;d like to thank the wonderful Aluball, which had a significant impact on getting back into being a regular kava user.

My blood tests show better every year that I get away from alcohol and Ive become so much happier and fitter!

When is the Nambawan supposed to be in Judd? and Chris, I'd love to buy a pound of the Papa Ele . It would be interesting to try another batch as I only had it once or twice before it was gone. I did get lucky and have my sister in law give me a bag of it as, she asked us where to get kava but, then decided it wasnt for her.

Apparently Im a little krickity krunk right now.

scaryjarri

Kava Curious
And not $meaning to be $h1tting on ROH, they have a cool website and making fresh available is cool. I just hope it wasnt oversold and its on the way. I bought 3# my first order from them and some interesting kavas. Im an online business myself and know peoples expectations can be hard to meet and some business's are gerat at some aspects and overwhelmed on others. So hopefully will get some soon.

Bula Kava House

Portland, OR
Kava Vendor
Kava Bar Owner
And not $meaning to be $h1tting on ROH, they have a cool website and making fresh available is cool. I just hope it wasnt oversold and its on the way. I bought 3# my first order from them and some interesting kavas. Im an online business myself and know peoples expectations can be hard to meet and some business's are gerat at some aspects and overwhelmed on others. So hopefully will get some soon.
My guess is that ROH separately shipped the frozen.

As for Nambawan, I have a very large shipment in the US. Just waiting for testing and packaging. Hoping to have it available in a week or so. Thanks for the loyal business.

_byron

Kava Enthusiast
I ordered 3 items on Monday. The 2 powdered kava showed up today. The frozen kava is in the "Preparing for shipment" stage. I feel it is safe to assume they are awaiting the arrival of more fresh kava. Though I agree some transparency would be nice