What's new

American Kava Association?

Zargonof

Kava Curious
I'm curious about The American Kava Association (americankavaassociation.org), does anyone have any information on them? Looks like they want to be like True Kava (truekava.com) but they don't provide all the same information. What i have found out is they are owned/founded by the owner of Roots of Happiness (rootsofhappiness.com). You can see the lab results on the pages for the kava on roots of happiness.
I have tried kava from roots of Happiness because i was curious. The kava (https://rootofhappinesskava.com/products/superior-vanuatu-kava-powder-1-2lb) claimed to be noble. When i opened the bag it had a almost stail smell, that's the only way i can put it. I used the allubal method and what i got was a weak not so good wash. What i want to know has anyone else had any experience with Roots of Happiness and/or the American Kava Association?
Sorry for all the information I just wanted to be thorough.

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
I'm curious about The American Kava Association (americankavaassociation.org), does anyone have any information on them? Looks like they want to be like True Kava (truekava.com) but they don't provide all the same information. What i have found out is they are owned/founded by the owner of Roots of Happiness (rootsofhappiness.com). You can see the lab results on the pages for the kava on roots of happiness.
I have tried kava from roots of Happiness because i was curious. The kava (https://rootofhappinesskava.com/products/superior-vanuatu-kava-powder-1-2lb) claimed to be noble. When i opened the bag it had a almost stail smell, that's the only way i can put it. I used the allubal method and what i got was a weak not so good wash. What i want to know has anyone else had any experience with Roots of Happiness and/or the American Kava Association?
Sorry for all the information I just wanted to be thorough.
They provide more information, keep up to date COA's posted and have been around longer then TK.

Aside from that, they are both excellent testing facilities with the ultimate right intention in mind, preserving noble only going forward.

Zargonof

Kava Curious
Thanks for the info, I did see that AKA provided more info but not all the same info TK does. I just was curious if anyone had any more info then what was easily accessible via their website. I was also just curious if anyone had any experience with Roots of Happiness kava. I will assume for now i might of just gotten a bad batch or i need to move the kava to another container to Mix it up better. Could of just been a little weak on the top. I'll keep my eye on AKA and TK. I look forward to seeing more from both. I won't write off roots of happiness at this time.

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
Thanks for the info, I did see that AKA provided more info but not all the same info TK does. I just was curious if anyone had any more info then what was easily accessible via their website. I was also just curious if anyone had any experience with Roots of Happiness kava. I will assume for now i might of just gotten a bad batch or i need to move the kava to another container to Mix it up better. Could of just been a little weak on the top. I'll keep my eye on AKA and TK. I look forward to seeing more from both. I won't write off roots of happiness at this time.
The two people that are in charge to those operations are @Tyler and @Deleted User, they can each provide more insight.

The biggest thing I notice is that Deleted User is a lot more involved in the forums.

Marreo64

https://rootofhappinesskava.com/products/superior-vanuatu-kava-powder-1-2lb

I just want to say i bought this exact kava you mentioned OP. It was my first time buying or using kava. I didnt know anything about tudei vs noble.

I tried this kava and about 4 hours later i had BROWN urine. Found another person talking about gettinf brown urine from kona kava. Which i have also learned Kona kova is also somehow involved with american kava association! And i read everyone says horrible things about kona kava.

I have learned tudei root does have liver toxicants. THe brown urine has cleared up after 2 days (more about a day and a half it was back to regular). But brown urine does indicate liver damage as i have learned from study. I have spent about 6 hours researching kava after this.
Edit:
Well. I just learned about the acetone test. Am going to be performing the acetone test on this exact kava to OP is talking about.

If it is not shown to be quality im gonna be freaking pissed. Because root of happiness which owns the american kava association tells me through their testing this is noble. (Its shady as hell for a company to OWN something that tests thier own products under a DIFFERENT name! Thats just alarming to begin with, thats like trying to pretend your having someone else test your product when your really just testing your own product yourself. Thats shady AF!!)

Then i also read somewhere that the american kava / root of happiness people wanted it to be a thing to sell tudei?
http://kavaforums.com/forum/threads/aka-now-endorses-tudei-isa.2758/#post-27715
Why would anyone want that??? I read on kalm with kava that tudei is KNOWN to have liver toxicity .. I also learned that tudei root is cheap and fast to make. Hmmm.....

I will be reporting my acetone test on this asap.

Edit:2
I would even be willing to PAY someone and send them a sample if they knew how to test the kavalactone profile accurately to see if this powder is high in Flavokawain B. Flavokawain B is only high in tudei and is shown to cause liver damage.

Noble root does not have high amounts and that is why studies show noble is safe on liver.
Because i had brown urine after i tried this kava i suspect it is tudei or noble spiked with tudei to save money... Why else would my urine have been brown???
Noble kava is supposed to be 100÷ safe. This shoukd not have happened to me or the other person i pointed out.

Last edited:

Marreo64

http://kavaforums.com/forum/threads/dark-urine.9737/

Hers is the thread about another person getting brown urine. This was from kona kava i believe.

We have similar stories. I am also switching to kava and used to be a heavy drinker.
Both of our livers may have been compromised because of previous drinking. BUT noble kava according to my studies should not have affected us in thia way, only tudei kava would have this affect...

Last edited:

Bula Kava House

Portland, OR
Kava Vendor
Kava Bar Owner
http://kavaforums.com/forum/threads/dark-urine.9737/

Hers is the thread about another person getting brown urine. This was from kona kava i believe.

We have similar stories. I am also switching to kava and used to be a heavy drinker.
Both of our livers may have been compromised because of previous drinking. BUT noble kava according to my studies should not have affected us in thia way, only tudei kava would have this affect...
Your kava is probably fine and noble. You're most likely just dehydrated. Kava is a diuretic.

Even so, IF tudei causes liver damage, it almost certainly wouldn't happen after a session or two of traditionally prepared kava.

Marreo64

Your kava is probably fine and noble. You're most likely just dehydrated. Kava is a diuretic.

Even so, IF tudei causes liver damage, it almost certainly wouldn't happen after a session or two of traditionally prepared kava.
I dont think its a matter of "IF". Flavokawain B is confirmed to be toxic to liver cells. I will find the studies for you and put them here with an edit.
Plus my urine was literally brown. Not dark yellow.

Once i can confirm this kava's profile i will be able to know better what is going on. Flavokawain B is only high in tudei.
But if you research "brown" urine in almost all cases it is indicating liver/kidney damage.

Also. Yes someone with a healthy liver may not notice any effects from using tudei kava from a couple tries. Liver damage is not something you can "feel"
But someone with an already damaged liver would. In both cases me and this other person were heavy drinkers and may have damaged livers which is why we could be affected more by flavowakin B.

Edit: more to come

http://m.fasebj.org/content/24/12/4722.short

Last edited:

Bula Kava House

Portland, OR
Kava Vendor
Kava Bar Owner
I dont think its a matter of "IF". Flavokawain B is confirmed to be toxic to liver cells in vivo. I will find the studies for you and put them here with an edit.
Plus my urine was literally brown. Not dark yellow.

Once i can confirm this kava's profile i will be able to know better what is going on. Flavokawain B is only high in tudei.
But if you research "brown" urine in almost all cases it is indicating liver/kidney damage.

Edit: more to come

http://m.fasebj.org/content/24/12/4722.short
Thank you. I'm actually quite familiar with the flavokavain b affect on liver cells in vitro. That said, there's debate as to whether that means tudei consumed in a traditional manner causes liver damage in people. A lot of tudei kava has been, and is currently drank, and there are no proven cases of liver damage in humans caused by traditionally prepared kava.

I'm not sure which product you ordered from ROH, but I know that Tyler makes every attempt to source noble kava. If you're concerned, you could do the acetone test quite easily at home and get a pretty good indication as to whether the kava is noble or not.

Have a good night!

-Judd

Last edited:

Marreo64

Then why has tudei been banned from imports in certain areas? Why do the native peoples who use kava all the time seem to have an issue with it?

Also i doubt when people die in the areas where lots of tudei is being drank that they ever perform an autopsy to see the cause of death or the condition of thier liver.

If we have proven flavokaiven b to be toxic to liver cells, why would you say consuming flavokaiven b may not be toxic to liver cells if you consume it "traditionally"?.

If you drink flavokaiven B it will end up in the liver. Its not just going to bybass the liver for some reason. It may not kill everyone who drinks it obviously. But neither does smoking kill everyone either..

I just think its a strange coinciedence that both me and another person with compromised livers had brown urine by using products from two companies associated with eachother. One having a bad rap, the other doing some shady things like pretending to have thier material tested by a third party when its really themselves doing the testing. It also seemed that kona kava may be part owners?? ......

I am determined to see how much flavovaiken B is in this now. Im going to do my own acetone tests on multiple scoops of the bag and try to find some kind of lab to do a more thorough and accurate test.

Last edited:

Marreo64

Okay acetone test started.

If it is the yellow ill say ok, Must be some kind of personal reaction. But my urine was brown, dunno why. Same with another person who had brown as i linked. I would love to hear from the person who had brown urine from the kona kova and ask what came of that..

But if its that dark color ill take pictures.

Bula Kava House

Portland, OR
Kava Vendor
Kava Bar Owner
A few things:

-Imports of all kava have been banned in certain countries. AFAIK, no country has banned the import of tudei specifically.

-The debate over the actual affect of tudei on a human liver is well known by the scientific community and members here. Most see it as definitely a possibility, so advise a "better safe than sorry approach." That said, tudei is drank everyday in New Caledonia and Vanuatu, and probably the US. If it were killing people, we'd know about it.

-As for why flavokavain b may not be so dangerous in traditional kava: 1. Water is an extremely poor extraction method for flavokavain B. 2. The body is more complicated than you're giving it credit for. Just because something damages cells when all other variables are removed, doesn't mean it will do the same in a real life situation.

-I'm all for consumer testing if it's done right, and that's a big if. I recommend you send a sample to @verticity who has more experience with the methods. If you want lab testing for actual fkb levels, just do a search for HPLC testing for botanicals. Not all labs will test for flavokavains so you may have to call around. It will be expensive.

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
Okay acetone test started.

If it is the yellow ill say ok, Must be some kind of personal reaction. But my urine was brown, dunno why. Same with another person who had brown as i linked. I would love to hear from the person who had brown urine from the kona kova and ask what came of that..

But if its that dark color ill take pictures.
Without having a known-noble and a known tudei to test alongside your sample, it's not likely you will be able to tell what you have, unless the result is extremely blatant. There is a sliding scale of hues within the acceptable hues for noble, there is also a varying range for tudei and a mix of noble-tudei can make it even harder for you to perceive the differences.

Just so you know, even pure tudei consumption, though not recommended, is not known to cause immediate liver injury or brown urine in healthy people. Many people drank tudei, or tudei adulterated kava for a long time without experiencing symptoms like you described. When we say kava is safe, that comes with some caveats. Kava is known to be safe when consumed in the appropriate, traditional way and when you and your vital organs are healthy. As you say you are a heavy alcohol drinker who might have liver damage and also consumed a non-traditional extract, those things negate the promise of safety. Most of the rare, but reported cases of kava-related liver injury that emerged in the late '90s, were usually associated with alcoholics drinking non-traditional kava extracts or supplements that were made with kava of unknown quality and/or extracted with alcohol or some other solvent other than water.

I'm not recommending you do this regularly, but there have been studies that show supplementing with Glutathione (or perhaps also NAC), can basically negate any damage that Fk-B does. If you want to drink kava to get yourself off alcohol, it might be a good idea to use that for a while, even if you drink noble kava.
It's typically recommended that alcoholics should ween off alcohol and confirm healthy liver tests before starting kava however.

Also note, in some cases, since noble kava has a varying range of Fk-B in it, albeit in lower quantities than Tudei, it is possible to drink enough noble kava in one day to be equivalent or near equivalent to some varieties of tudei, consumed at a lesser dose. For example, when I drink 9-12 Tbsp of Noble kava, I could ingest the same amount of Fk-B as someone who drinks 3-4 Tbsp of Tudei.

One more thing to note, and again, this is not an endorsement for drinking tudei or for vendors selling it, but the cancer researchers that study Fk-B note that while Fk-B does have the ability to cause cell death, it is many times more likely to destroy cancer cells than normal cells. It is for this reason that they are looking at it to be a possible chemoprevention drug.

The fact is, there isn't enough research done on the human consumption of Fk-B and all the possible variables involved to say precisely how safe or dangerous it is. But we do know that Fk-B heavy kavas will often have a more unpleasant, nauseating effect in most people...and we know that noble kava, prepared traditionally is generally considered to be safe, more desirable in it's effects and we know it's what the natives preferred to drink over the centuries...so we err on the side of caution. That being said, the extreme reaction you appear to have had to what may or may not be tudei is not common or expected and is indicative of something more than simply tudei kava or Fk-B levels.

Marreo64

I am understanding of a lot of that.
(And thank you for the extra advice)

I mean kava (most likey tudei) must have SOME impact on the liver.
You just may not see it with people who have healthy livers. But as i said the other person whos post i linked also had brown urine. Both of us were heavy drinkers in the past. So we likely have damaged livers from that. But it is no coincedence that we both have brown urine from kava.
If kava had ZERO effect on the liver than my pee would have just stayed the same... Otherwise you would have to say, "oh its just a coincedence that you had brown urine the same day you drank kava..."

I dunno....
I mean if you guys had brown urine after you drank kava, then you looked up the cause of brown urine you would be very upset/scared/mad like i was and still kind of am... I have been doing nothing but researching kava and the causes of brown urine since it happened. I have been really stressed.
I dont know *sigh*..... I just hope i didnt damage my liver enouvh to where i die sooner :'( im only 29

Edit: i have been watching videos with dr Vincent Lebot who shows examples of noble vs the other varieties. Noble is quite clearly yellow and tudei is brownish orangish. He shows a couple examples.

Even he does not reccomend people drink tudei.

Last edited:

CactusKava

Phoenix, AZ
Kava Vendor
I am understanding of a lot of that.

I mean kava (most likey tudei) must have SOME impact on the liver.
You just may not see it with people who have healthy livers. But as i said the other person whos post i linked also had brown urine. Both of us were heavy drinkers in the past. So we likely have damaged livers from that. But it is no coincedence that we both have brown urine from kava.
If kava had ZERO effect on the liver than my pee would have just stayed the same... Otherwise you would have to say, "oh its just a coincedence that you had brown urine the same day you drank kava..."

I dunno....
I mean if you guys had brown urine after you drank kava, then you looked up the cause of brown urine you would be very upset/scared/mad like i was and still kind of am... I have been doing nothing but researching kava and the causes of brown urine since it happened. I have been really stressed.
I dont know *sigh*..... I just hope i didnt damage my liver enouvh to where i die sooner :'( im only 29

Edit: i have been watching videos with dr Vincent Lebot who shows examples of noble vs the other varieties. Noble is quite clearly yellow and tudei is brown. He shows a couple examples.

Even he does not reccomend people drink tudei
Hey @Marreo64 !

I'm not one to defend tudei kava, but I also think it's important to make sure that we're stating what is truth, versus what we think may be true. If we're attempting to uncover the truth, let's try not to take personal anecdotes into account. While your experience sounds scary, there are countless amounts of variables that could be affecting the color of your urine. It indeed does sound like there was quite a coincidence with kava, but I would consider brown urine a "marker" rather than a confirmed case of liver damage. The first step I would take is a liver test. Have you had a liver test done, and can you post the results?

@Bula Kava House is right on point; there is currently no known actual connection to liver toxicity with kava, tudei or otherwise. For some light reading:
https://livertox.nih.gov/KavaKava.htm

The frequency of adverse reactions to kava, particularly liver injury, is not known. Based upon reported cases, the estimated frequency of clinically apparent liver injury due to kava is less than 1:1,000,000 daily doses.
While we don't have a ton of data, we currently know that there's a 1 in a million chance someone's liver is affected by kava. I would guess that 1 in a million was also influenced by alcohol (as many folks have issues with prior to switching to kava). Who knows though -- the alcohol comment is just conjecture.

verticity

I'm interested in things
Hello.

I am sorry I don't have time to read all of the above, so I apologize if I am misunderstanding what is being asked.
But, the short answers to what I think the questions are:

1. Brown urine can be caused by many things. The most common cause is dehydration. Kava can cause dehydration because it makes you pee a lot. But dark urine can be lots of conditions, some of which are not serious, but some of which are serious, some of which involve liver problems, but most of which do not have to do with the liver. For example:
What causes dark urine? 40 possible conditions
If it persists, see a doctor. (I'm not a doctor.™)

2. Kava is suspected to cause an extremely rare form of liver damage. But to put it in perspective, prescription drugs like are Valium are twice as likely to cause this kind of liver damage as kava. It is very unlikely that kava has done anything to your liver. Gory details here: http://kavaforums.com/forum/threads/good-paper-or-info-about-noble-kava-and-liver.11176/#post-129728

3. I am very happy to do acetone tests on kava samples for anyone. Eventually I am hoping to expand to also do UV testing (the "ether" test), but I don't do that currently, nor do I do HPLC. Please PM me if interested for my mailing address and instructions.

4. Please do not send me urine samples. Thank you.

Marreo64

@Bula Kava House is right on point; there is currently no known actual connection to liver toxicity with kava, tudei or otherwise. For some light reading:

Except for flavokawain b
Also. Dr Vincet Lebot suggests not to use tudei...

Also those 40 causes of dark urine does not apply. There is a major difference between BROWN, and just dark yellow. I likely have read all the articles you are going to find to put here. Brown is specifically liver related. Or blood in urine. All i know is a git brown urine the day i drank this kava. I am almost 100 percent positive that if i did not drink kava, my urine would have not just magically turned brown that day.

Also i am being pointed to things that say Kava can do liver damage, but its rare. The article states there is much more of this seen with other drugs. Well yeah obviously! The amount of kava users to other drug users is goinf to be ridiculously less. So of course your going to see more cases with other drugs.

It seems to me the evidence clearly shows some type/part of kava can affect your liver. RARE does not mean NEVER. And i have a hunch that the people who see the effects are people with already weakened livers.

If your liver is healthy your likely fine.
Same with alcohol. We know alcohol affects the liver. But if you dont go crazy with it your pretty much gonna be fine.

Here is an exact quote from the thread you gave j
"However, the frequency of hepatotoxicity for kava is, on current information, substantially lower than for these conventional drugs"

So how can people here try to say kava does absolutely nothing to the liver and there is absolutely 0 evidence?
The word "lower" does not mean "zero"

Or someone else here said kava does no damage to healthy livers, but if you were a heavy drinker the safety cannot be guaranteed. How is that logical? It either does damage or it does not. If kava only does a small amount of damage then a healthy liver would tolerate it. But a weakened already diseased liver may not. That is what i think happened to me and the other person. We both had messed up livers and could not handle a NEW type of stress... So our liver failed as something in the poor quality kava affected it producing the brown urine until the body cleared it out...

Last edited:

verticity

I'm interested in things
Except for flavokawain b
Also. Dr Vincet Lebot suggests not to use tudei...

Also those 40 causes of dark urine does not apply. There is a major difference between BROWN, and just dark yellow. I likely have read all the articles you are going to find to put here. Brown is specifically liver related. Or blood in urine. All i know is a git brown urine the day i drank this kava. I am almost 100 percent positive that if i did not drink kava, my urine would have not just magically turned brown that day.

Also i am being pointed to things that say Kava can do liver damage, but its rare. The article states there is much more of this seen with other drugs. Well yeah obviously! The amount of kava users to other drug users is goinf to be ridiculously less. So of course your going to see more cases with other drugs.

It seems to me the evidence clearly shows some type/part of kava can affect your liver. RARE does not mean NEVER. And i have a hunch that the people who see the effects are people with already weakened livers.

If your liver is healthy your likely fine.
Same with alcohol. We know alcohol affects the liver. But if you dont go crazy with it your pretty much gonna be fine.

Here is an exact quote from the thread you gave j
"However, the frequency of hepatotoxicity for kava is, on current information, substantially lower than for these conventional drugs"

So how can people here try to say kava does absolutely nothing to the liver and there is absolutely 0 evidence?
The word "lower" does not mean "zero"

Or someone else here said kava does no damage to healthy livers, but if you were a heavy drinker the safety cannot be guaranteed. How is that logical? It either does damage or it does not. If kava only does a small amount of damage then a healthy liver would tolerate it. But a weakened already diseased liver may not. That is what i think happened to me and the other person. We both had messed up livers and could not handle a NEW type of stress... So our liver failed as something in the poor quality kava affected it producing the brown urine until the body cleared it out...
The numbers in that reference are normalized by number of doses, so the fact that more people use Valium than kava is irrelevant.

Oftentimes people come here and ask if kava causes liver damage, because they have seen the dire warnings online. The vast majority of the time, what they are really asking is "Should I worry about kava killing my liver?" My short answer to this is usually something along the lines of "Traditionally prepared kava is not harmful to the liver by itself, but you should not combine it with things that stress the liver such as alcohol or Tylenol/Paracetamol." In the context of giving a pragmatic answer to an informal question, this is a true statement. Zero is an excellent approximation to 0.000001 for most purposes.

Now if the person wants more details I will say something like: "There were some case reports of liver damage caused by kava extract pills made by European pharmaceutical companies about 17 years ago. The pills are not the traditional way kava is consumed. They were manufactured with little regard for the importance of using noble kava or using only the correct parts of the plant. Nonetheless, a careful review of these cases revealed that most of them were not related to kava, and the remaining handfull that were possibly related to kava showed a rate of liver damage, on a per-dosage basis, lower than that of many drugs that are commonly prescribed and considered very safe for the liver. Furthermore, evidence for liver damage caused by traditionally, correctly prepared fresh kava or kava powder is even more scarce. Pacific Islanders have been safely consuming it for centuries, and there is no evidence of increased liver disease in that population. A study of Australian Aborigines using kava powder who showed liver abnormalities is sometimes cited as an example, however that study was confounded by the fact that that population also heavily used alcohol. So, to summarize, no you should not worry about kava harming your liver, because the evidence indicates that the possibility of that is somewhere between extremely rare and nonexistent. That does not mean it is impossible, but on the scale of things worth worrying about, this isn't one of them."

And if you just read that entire wall of text, and are feeling maybe kind of bored, like you have just wasted a couple minutes of your life reading a lengthy, nitpicky explanation when all you really wanted was a simple reassurance that kava is pretty safe, then you understand why I often give the shorter answer.

Last edited: